From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Re: deck
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:03:07 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

Jim Joyce wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:41:07 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
> <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> >> What is your deck made of ?
> >> cedar, green PT, brown PT, other .. ?
> >> John T.
> >

> > I assume brown pressure treated wood. It's been there for decades.
> > We bought the house in 2008 and it was already built. The house is
> > 1967.
>
> I have 4 wooden decks at my current house, all built by me, 3 decks
> at my previous house, all built by me, and one large deck at the
> house before that, built by the homebuilder. My rule for restain prep
> work is to determine what is needed, and then do only that. If the
> deck needs repairs, do those before anything else. If there's moss,
> algae, fungus, etc, then consider power washing, but otherwise don't
> bother. And so on.
>
> When I restain, I sweep away any debris, then I use a leaf blower to
> remove any loose dust. That's it, I'm ready to reapply a new coat of
> stain.
>
> BTW, congrats on maintaining a deck that's decades old. Depending on
> climate, many wooden decks don't last that long.

Agreed. Here, fences last at most 10 years. I have no wood decks but
ages ago I built one for my Mom. She was still using it when she died.
It was cedar. 40 years by then.

Re: deck

<XnsB157789F119C5nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57331&group=alt.home.repair#57331

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:51:25 -0000 (UTC)
References: <xn0okmxhs72bo9w001@reader443.eternal-september.org> <08bt1jdqgl3a5v4oagl70dcug7apm9gvl7@4ax.com> <pd0u1jlv1r2as80r458162ssg9qbv8gl83@4ax.com> <661f29f7$0$3711200$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> <uvom6h$1l8kq$1@dont-email.me> <6cRTN.457599$7uxe.89476@fx09.ams1> <uvoo2c$1liqn$1@dont-email.me> <c0pv1jhiflfnlspth7hf913c0u01n0kb40@4ax.com> <uvort9$1mfti$1@dont-email.me> <uvotbt$1mmo6$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Boris - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:51 UTC

Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote in news:uvotbt$1mmo6$1@dont-email.me:

> On 4/17/2024 12:03 PM, Bob F wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 8:01 AM, micky wrote:

Is

>>> Another forgery, And to say so little. I guess the insult is that
>>> important to the jackass forger.
>>
>> I suspected that. Shall we wait for it to give me an answer?
>>
>> Waiting.

>>> Ignore him.  Remember thnat I only use insults with the trolls.
>>

> So now we have a fake mickey? Just what we need, more mickeys.
>
> I see my Trex deck is now 5 years old. Looks as good as the day it was
> built.
>
> At the time I may have detailed the travails the county imposed. Needed
> a permit to tear down the old one and another permit to put up a new
> one. Had to place the footers three feet down whereas old deck footers
> rested on patio for over 40 years without a problem. Then the tax
> assessor increased the value of my property. If it was DYI I could have
> skipped putting up with this crap.

Why a permit to tear down? Disposal of old wood?

Re: deck

<_bVTN.398$cji5.230@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57332&group=alt.home.repair#57332

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:14:02 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:14 UTC

rbowman <bowman@montana.com> writes:
>On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:52:43 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>
>> My hot tub deck and front veranda are both made from teak. I expect
>> them both to survive for decades.
>
>https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/the-grave-human-cost-of-teak-wood-135147

The decks were installed by a prior owner. In this state, it was
likely sourced from a sustainable plantation anyway.

Re: deck

<d5602jt3t0tum471m5f8mtvdur1mim6scc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57334&group=alt.home.repair#57334

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:30:27 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:30 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:03:07 +0000, "cshenk"
<cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Jim Joyce wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:41:07 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
>> <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I assume brown pressure treated wood. It's been there for decades.
>> > We bought the house in 2008 and it was already built. The house is
>> > 1967.
>>
>> I have 4 wooden decks at my current house, all built by me, 3 decks
>> at my previous house, all built by me, and one large deck at the
>> house before that, built by the homebuilder. My rule for restain prep
>> work is to determine what is needed, and then do only that. If the
>> deck needs repairs, do those before anything else. If there's moss,
>> algae, fungus, etc, then consider power washing, but otherwise don't
>> bother. And so on.
>>
>> When I restain, I sweep away any debris, then I use a leaf blower to
>> remove any loose dust. That's it, I'm ready to reapply a new coat of
>> stain.
>>
>> BTW, congrats on maintaining a deck that's decades old. Depending on
>> climate, many wooden decks don't last that long.
>
>Agreed. Here, fences last at most 10 years. I have no wood decks but
>ages ago I built one for my Mom. She was still using it when she died.
>It was cedar. 40 years by then.

I have a wood picket fence that is 45 years old. I have replaced many
parts but specifically, only one post out of about 32, only 8 rails out
of about 60, and only about 80 pickets out of 300 or 360.

I've also replaced almost every piece of wood in the gate, one at a time
on the same day. (2x4's in the shape of a Z, plus pickets.)

The posts must have been treated, but I guess not the pickets and not
the original rails.

The pickets that get full sun even half of the day are mostly still in
excellent condition. Pickets in the shadow of trees most of the day can
go days or weeks without drying out and have gotten weak especially
starting 10 years ago.

They used to sell semi-round rails at Home Depot, and maybe I should
have bought some, but by the time I needed them, they didn't have them
and neither did the company that installed the fence, Long Fence, just
south of Baltimore. I had to buy 8' posts from a farm store and take
them to a saw mill to be split down the middle. I had to go to Harford
County to find a saw mill and the nearest farm store was only 3 miles
from it. The saw mill didn't charge much and it was interesting to
watch. I think I bought 6 because split into 12, that was the maximum I
felt I could fit in the back of my car, a compact convertible.

I had also bought rails from the fence company and still have 8 unused
rails, but if I use them all, it should be just as easy to get more.

Most rails are still in perfect condition, but 8 have failed and 4 or 6
are getting thinner and thinner, a couple only half as thick as
originally. I separate the pickets but leave them in place, replace the
rail, and renail the pickets.

I bought all the remaining pickets that the fence company had, about 40
that time, and I've bought second hand pickets, for 10c apiece, from
someone who was tearing down his fence. I took them off myself so they
wouldn't be damaged. They are 6 feet high and I only need 42 or 44
inches, so I have extra holes where the nails were but that's not a
problem. But I still may run out of pickets in 5 years.

Most non-end-of-group homes don't have fences, but my next door n'bor
has a rear yard fence, that is literally falling down. I made new cedar
pickets for it years ago. Had to go to the other side of town to buy
cedar, and I did other repairs because.... I forget why. But it's
beyond repair now. The new owner is young, wants to install a new one
himself, and wants to include the part between our yards, 5 posts worth,
40 or 48 pickets. I will take off the pickets there to use as spares
for the fence. Most seem to be good. That should give me another 4 or
5 years.

But I'm 77 and planning to be here another 20 years, so if anyone can
tell me where I can find "peeled pickets" I'd appreciate it. They are
shaped like a parenthesis on one side and flat on the other. I'm
willing to pay shipping from distant states.

One post broke at ground level and I can't imagine why. It's in back
and I'm an end-of-group townhouse, and there is almost no foot traffic
there, only when someone wants to take his lawnmower from front to the
back or vice versa, and the lawnmowers are just push-size, nowhere near
enough weight to break a post. Yet it is broken. I watered the hole,
attached a chain with a big screw, tied the chain to a board that rested
on two car jacks, floor jacks, to pull the bottom of the post out. Put
in a new post as far as it would go (to the bottom of the hole, I think)
and cut it off to the right height. Much fun.

For a while 30 years ago termites were eating 5 or 10 or 20 of the
pickets and even going up the picket to eat the rail. A woman whose
husband and sons have an exterminating business would not sell me
poison, told me not to use poison because poison is bad, but to cut off
the bottom of the pickets so they didn't reach the grass. That worked.

Re: deck

<uvperc$1qg20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57337&group=alt.home.repair#57337

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:27:08 -0400
 by: Frank - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:27 UTC

On 4/17/2024 2:51 PM, Boris wrote:
> Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote in news:uvotbt$1mmo6$1@dont-email.me:

> Is

> with

> seriously

>>> I suspected that. Shall we wait for it to give me an answer?
>>>
>>> Waiting.

>> So now we have a fake mickey? Just what we need, more mickeys.
>>
>> I see my Trex deck is now 5 years old. Looks as good as the day it was
>> built.
>>
>> At the time I may have detailed the travails the county imposed. Needed
>> a permit to tear down the old one and another permit to put up a new
>> one. Had to place the footers three feet down whereas old deck footers
>> rested on patio for over 40 years without a problem. Then the tax
>> assessor increased the value of my property. If it was DYI I could have
>> skipped putting up with this crap.
>>

> Why a permit to tear down? Disposal of old wood?

Just your basic government money grab. Only my county not the other two
in the state.

Re: deck

<ngi12jlt9dkdsg2doneujol5i26nsv1gg1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57347&group=alt.home.repair#57347

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:25:01 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:25 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:52:43 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid> writes:

>>>Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
>>>seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
>>>long time.
>>
>>I wasn't looking at deck construction that long ago, so that explains why I
>>haven't seen a deck built with non-PT lumber. It's probably safe to say that
>>very few, or even none, have survived to this day.
>
>My hot tub deck and front veranda are both made from teak. I expect
>them both to survive for decades.

My posts in this thread have only been about pine, treated versus non-treated.

What I call exotic woods, (my exaggeration) like teak, sapele, mahogany,
redwood, cedar, and the stuff that Ed mentioned, are a completely different
animal. For me, pine is affordable, but the others are not.

Re: deck

<8TadnfRsNK4e0rz7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57355&group=alt.home.repair#57355

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:51:15 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:51 UTC

micky wrote:

> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:03:07 +0000, "cshenk"
> <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>
> > Jim Joyce wrote:

> let >> > > > it dry, and stain it with some Behr product using a
> paint brush >> > > > and roller.

> things >> > > > about using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other
> things. I'm >> > > > not sure I want to do all that since I won't be
> living here >> > > > more than another couple years.

> you >> > > > suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure
> washing? >> > > > It might take a few weekends to finish all this.

> decades. >> > We bought the house in 2008 and it was already built.
> The house is >> > 1967.
> >>
> >> I have 4 wooden decks at my current house, all built by me, 3 decks
> >> at my previous house, all built by me, and one large deck at the
> >> house before that, built by the homebuilder. My rule for restain
> prep >> work is to determine what is needed, and then do only that.
> If the >> deck needs repairs, do those before anything else. If
> there's moss, >> algae, fungus, etc, then consider power washing, but
> otherwise don't >> bother. And so on.
> >>
> >> When I restain, I sweep away any debris, then I use a leaf blower
> to >> remove any loose dust. That's it, I'm ready to reapply a new
> coat of >> stain.
> >>
> >> BTW, congrats on maintaining a deck that's decades old. Depending
> on >> climate, many wooden decks don't last that long.
> >
> > Agreed. Here, fences last at most 10 years. I have no wood decks
> > but ages ago I built one for my Mom. She was still using it when
> > she died. It was cedar. 40 years by then.
>
> I have a wood picket fence that is 45 years old. I have replaced
> many parts but specifically, only one post out of about 32, only 8
> rails out of about 60, and only about 80 pickets out of 300 or 360.
>
> I've also replaced almost every piece of wood in the gate, one at a
> time on the same day. (2x4's in the shape of a Z, plus pickets.)
>
> The posts must have been treated, but I guess not the pickets and not
> the original rails.

No, all treated. Wood fencing doesn't live long here in Virginia
Beach. Different climate.

Serious termite problems due to being mostly recovered swamp land.

Re: deck

<fim22j1mfrus8k8anheq4ujacr075fc7dd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57356&group=alt.home.repair#57356

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:41:32 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:41 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:51:15 +0000, "cshenk"
<cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:03:07 +0000, "cshenk"
>> <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>> let >> > > > it dry, and stain it with some Behr product using a
>> paint brush >> > > > and roller.

>> things >> > > > about using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other
>> things. I'm >> > > > not sure I want to do all that since I won't be
>> living here >> > > > more than another couple years.

>> you >> > > > suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure
>> washing? >> > > > It might take a few weekends to finish all this.

>> decades. >> > We bought the house in 2008 and it was already built.
>> The house is >> > 1967.

>> prep >> work is to determine what is needed, and then do only that.
>> If the >> deck needs repairs, do those before anything else. If
>> there's moss, >> algae, fungus, etc, then consider power washing, but
>> otherwise don't >> bother. And so on.

>> to >> remove any loose dust. That's it, I'm ready to reapply a new
>> coat of >> stain.

>> on >> climate, many wooden decks don't last that long.
>> >
>> > Agreed. Here, fences last at most 10 years. I have no wood decks
>> > but ages ago I built one for my Mom. She was still using it when
>> > she died. It was cedar. 40 years by then.
>>
>> I have a wood picket fence that is 45 years old. I have replaced
>> many parts but specifically, only one post out of about 32, only 8
>> rails out of about 60, and only about 80 pickets out of 300 or 360.
>>
>> I've also replaced almost every piece of wood in the gate, one at a
>> time on the same day. (2x4's in the shape of a Z, plus pickets.)
>>
>> The posts must have been treated, but I guess not the pickets and not
>> the original rails.
>
>No, all treated. Wood fencing doesn't live long here in Virginia
>Beach. Different climate.

I believe you about yours, but I don't think the termites would have
done so well in my pickets if the pickets were treated. They did fine,
in a half dozen or more, sometimes making through 38" of picket to reach
the top rail where they did pretty well in a couple cases.

>Serious termite problems due to being mostly recovered swamp land.

I'm glad to hear your swamp has recovered.

I don't know what my termites have been doing for 30 years since I
deprived them of their fence. They never call, they never write.

Re: deck

<xn0okq13d1misa3002@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57366&group=alt.home.repair#57366

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 19:32:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 19:32 UTC

cshenk wrote:

>No, all treated. Wood fencing doesn't live long here in Virginia
>Beach. Different climate.
>
>Serious termite problems due to being mostly recovered swamp land.

Hello cshenk. Seems we are neighbors. I'm on the Peninsula.

Re: deck

<ioydnd586_TSWr_7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57380&group=alt.home.repair#57380

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:34:39 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:34 UTC

micky wrote:

> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:51:15 +0000, "cshenk"
> <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>
> > Serious termite problems due to being mostly recovered swamp land.
>
> I'm glad to hear your swamp has recovered.
>
> I don't know what my termites have been doing for 30 years since I
> deprived them of their fence. They never call, they never write.

LOL, well here, what is said is the only people without termites, just
don't know they have them.

Anyways, much of Virginia Beach is still swampy and we are very near
the Great Dismal Swamp (real place). It's a tidal area with a
bazillion 'necks' of waterways. Wood is problematic here. Fire places
are cheap to run though since you can collect all the wood you need for
free!

Re: deck

<odh72jl1dipmaek9lklm59s6r3nlu733jh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57397&group=alt.home.repair#57397

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <xn0okmxhs72bo9w001@reader443.eternal-september.org> <re3t1jt9q3n3pcadrea6uhn16ui8obfd3f@4ax.com> <xn0okn1uq787alw002@reader443.eternal-september.org> <p3et1j5d4phkda3mmc7fu9r969vcalkjso@4ax.com> <BdadnY_0DNBGk737nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com> <d5602jt3t0tum471m5f8mtvdur1mim6scc@4ax.com> <8TadnfRsNK4e0rz7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com> <fim22j1mfrus8k8anheq4ujacr075fc7dd@4ax.com> <ioydnd586_TSWr_7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 09:41:42 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:41 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:34:39 +0000, "cshenk"
<cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:51:15 +0000, "cshenk"
>> <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Serious termite problems due to being mostly recovered swamp land.
>>
>> I'm glad to hear your swamp has recovered.
>>
>> I don't know what my termites have been doing for 30 years since I
>> deprived them of their fence. They never call, they never write.
>
>LOL, well here, what is said is the only people without termites, just
>don't know they have them.
>
>Anyways, much of Virginia Beach is still swampy and we are very near
>the Great Dismal Swamp (real place).

Been there. Stayed at a campground and rented a small boat for the
morning. But I've been depressed ever since. It was so... dismal.