"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question ... or is it?"

interests / alt.home.repair / deck

SubjectAuthor
* deckbadgolferman
+* Re: deckEd P
|+- Re: deck😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|`- Re: deckClare Snyder
+* Re: deckhubops
|`* Re: deckbadgolferman
| +- Re: deckFrank
| `* Re: deckJim Joyce
|  `* Re: deckcshenk
|   `* Re: deckmicky
|    `* Re: deckcshenk
|     +* Re: deckmicky
|     |`* Re: deckcshenk
|     | `- Re: deckmicky
|     `- Re: deckbadgolferman
`* Re: deckmicky
 `* Re: deckJim Joyce
  +- Re: deckmicky
  +* Re: deckEd P
  |+* Re: deckJim Joyce
  ||`* Re: deckScott Lurndal
  || +* Re: deckrbowman
  || |`- Re: deckScott Lurndal
  || `- Re: deckJim Joyce
  |+* Re: deckClare Snyder
  ||`- Re: deckEd P
  |`* Re: deckBob F
  | `* Re: deckmicky
  |  `* Re: deckBob F
  |   `* Re: deckmicky
  |    `* Re: deckBob F
  |     +- For MickyBob F
  |     `* Re: deckFrank
  |      `* Re: deckBoris
  |       `- Re: deckFrank
  `- Re: deckClare Snyder

Pages:12
deck

<xn0okmxhs72bo9w001@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57291&group=alt.home.repair#57291

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: deck
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56 UTC

I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.

When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not sure I want
to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
years.

Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
might take a few weekends to finish all this.

Re: deck

<661e78fc$0$3711202$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57292&group=alt.home.repair#57292

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!newsfeed.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.netnews.com!netnews.com!s1-4.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!postmaster.netnews.com!us14.netnews.com!not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:11:24 -0400
Subject: Re: deck
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:11 UTC

On 4/16/2024 8:56 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
> and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.
>
> When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
> using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not sure I want
> to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
> years.
>
> Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
> suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
> might take a few weekends to finish all this.

Be careful with pressure washing. Have you done it before? You need
enough pressure to clean using a fan spray. Pointed will tear into the
wood and make it ugly.

Depending on climate, I'd wait at least a week, maybe two before staining.

Cleaner? If you were going to use a scrub brush and hose instead of
pressure washer, that would be a good idea.

Re: deck

<pNvTN.75801$Rt2.29569@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57295&group=alt.home.repair#57295

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:18:59 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:18 UTC

Ed P wrote on 4/16/2024 9:11 AM:
> On 4/16/2024 8:56 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>> I want to restain my deck.  My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
>> and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.
>>
>> When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
>> using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things.  I'm not sure I want
>> to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
>> years.
>>
>> Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>> suggest?  How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>> might take a few weekends to finish all this.
>>

> Be careful with pressure washing. Have you done it before?  You need
> enough pressure to clean using a fan spray.  Pointed will tear into
> the wood and make it ugly.
>
> Depending on climate, I'd wait at least a week, maybe two before
> staining.

Do you have to wait that long if you use water-based stain?

> Cleaner?  If you were going to use a scrub brush and hose instead of
> pressure washer, that would be a good idea.

Re: deck

<re3t1jt9q3n3pcadrea6uhn16ui8obfd3f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57296&group=alt.home.repair#57296

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:43:52 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:43 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
>and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.
>
>When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
>using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not sure I want
>to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
>years.
>
>Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>might take a few weekends to finish all this.

What is your deck made of ?
cedar, green PT, brown PT, other .. ?
John T.

Re: deck

<xn0okn1uq787alw002@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57297&group=alt.home.repair#57297

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:41:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:41 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
><REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it
>>dry, and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and
>>roller.
>>
>>When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things
>>about using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not
>>sure I want to do all that since I won't be living here more than
>>another couple years.
>>
>>Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>>suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>>might take a few weekends to finish all this.
>>

> What is your deck made of ?
> cedar, green PT, brown PT, other .. ?
> John T.

I assume brown pressure treated wood. It's been there for decades. We
bought the house in 2008 and it was already built. The house is 1967.

Re: deck

<uvmbn0$12c1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57301&group=alt.home.repair#57301

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:15:09 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:15 UTC

On 4/16/2024 11:41 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
>> <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it
>>> dry, and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and
>>> roller.
>>>
>>> When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things
>>> about using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not
>>> sure I want to do all that since I won't be living here more than
>>> another couple years.
>>>
>>> Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>>> suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>>> might take a few weekends to finish all this.
>>>

>> What is your deck made of ?
>> cedar, green PT, brown PT, other .. ?
>> John T.
>

> I assume brown pressure treated wood. It's been there for decades. We
> bought the house in 2008 and it was already built. The house is 1967.

If it has held up that long it is the old pressure treated lumber where
arsenic was used. Should not need fungicide treatment.

I never recalled washing my deck before staining with Thompson water
sealing stain that would not really last more than a couple of years.

Stains and paints have been reformulated over the years to get rid of
volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and got crappy so now I do not know
what is best since I replace my deck with a Trex deck.

Re: deck

<08bt1jdqgl3a5v4oagl70dcug7apm9gvl7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57302&group=alt.home.repair#57302

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:16:01 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:16 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC),
"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
>and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.
>
>When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
>using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not sure I want
>to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
>years.
>
>Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>might take a few weekends to finish all this.

Be sure to read the last paragraph.

I presume you're doing this for looks rather than preservation??

I got carried away with being a good homeowner and decided to do the
same thing 20 or 30 years ago. The house was built in 1979 and the
floor of the deck was dull grey and boring, but not decaying. I just
used a garden hose with a pointy nozzle. Probably waited a week but I
don't know if that's too much or too little. Then covered with one of
those deck preservatives, like from Behr. It didn't look like varnished
or laquered furniture. Still had no grain. It looked just a little
better than before.

Jump ahead 10 years, the floor boards were still good, but the wood
holding up the deck, the painted 2x6's on the sides and the ones in the
middle that I could not see, were rotting. (The 4x4 legs, about a foot
long, were still good.) My second floor overhangs the 1st floor deck by
2.5 feet and the 2.5 feet of the deck that are out of the rain were in
good shape. I would have thought that the wind/breeze got all of it wet,
but apparently not much.

Unfortunately the HOA could see my deck even without going on my
property and iirc they insisted I do something, or maybe it was that
they called the county that insisted. I live in a townhouse and space
is short, and I had glorious plans to built a moveable deck that could
be raised (using counter-weights or something) to disclose a newly built
stairway to a newly built entrance to the basement. I had thought about
this even before the rotting deck was a problem, and while I fantasized
some more, the county deadline got closer, So I decided to tear the
deck down, but when I got to that 2.5 foot mark, I saw it was still in
good shape, so I bought a reciprocating saw and cut the support 2x6's
off there. I'd moved the 4x4 legs that held it up, and I put a 1x6 board
across the front to make it look nice.

Everything was done by one day before the deadline, when I noticed that
the deck was higher than it used to be. That is, the ground at that
spot was lower than it was where the front of the deck had been, and the
one inch put it above the height which required a stairway. I though of
building a stairs, but decided to spread dirt and flagstones in front of
the deck to make it the right height. I wasn't home when the inspector
returned the next day, but he said it was okay.

Now i have a smaller deck but a bigger yard.

Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
the way it's supposed to be?

Re: deck

<p3et1j5d4phkda3mmc7fu9r969vcalkjso@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57306&group=alt.home.repair#57306

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:50:58 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:50 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:41:07 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:33 -0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
>><REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it
>>>dry, and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and
>>>roller.
>>>
>>>When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things
>>>about using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not
>>>sure I want to do all that since I won't be living here more than
>>>another couple years.
>>>
>>>Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>>>suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>>>might take a few weekends to finish all this.
>>>

>> What is your deck made of ?
>> cedar, green PT, brown PT, other .. ?
>> John T.
>

>I assume brown pressure treated wood. It's been there for decades. We
>bought the house in 2008 and it was already built. The house is 1967.

I have 4 wooden decks at my current house, all built by me, 3 decks at my
previous house, all built by me, and one large deck at the house before that,
built by the homebuilder. My rule for restain prep work is to determine what is
needed, and then do only that. If the deck needs repairs, do those before
anything else. If there's moss, algae, fungus, etc, then consider power washing,
but otherwise don't bother. And so on.

When I restain, I sweep away any debris, then I use a leaf blower to remove any
loose dust. That's it, I'm ready to reapply a new coat of stain.

BTW, congrats on maintaining a deck that's decades old. Depending on climate,
many wooden decks don't last that long.

Re: deck

<pd0u1jlv1r2as80r458162ssg9qbv8gl83@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57309&group=alt.home.repair#57309

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:57:16 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 22:57 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:16:01 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> [...]
>across the front to make it look nice.
>
>Everything was done by one day before the deadline, when I noticed that
>the deck was higher than it used to be. That is, the ground at that
>spot was lower than it was where the front of the deck had been, and the
>one inch put it above the height which required a stairway. I though of
>building a stairs, but decided to spread dirt and flagstones in front of
>the deck to make it the right height. I wasn't home when the inspector
>returned the next day, but he said it was okay.
>
>Now i have a smaller deck but a bigger yard.
>
>Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that

In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.

Re: deck

<vo6u1j908ith0m4hjk5qd69g4vjrsp5j1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57310&group=alt.home.repair#57310

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:46:15 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 00:46 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:57:16 -0500, Jim Joyce
<none@none.invalid> wrote:

>>Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>>when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>>bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>>underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
>>the way it's supposed to be?
>
>In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.

So that shouldn't be a problem for the OP.

Maybe it was an improper builder's way to save money. He did a couple
other things wrong too, one of them in the houses that were built before
mine, one of them in the streets, but no complaints about the rest of my
house.

Re: deck

<661f29f7$0$3711200$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57311&group=alt.home.repair#57311

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:46:31 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:46 UTC

On 4/16/2024 6:57 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

>> Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>> when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>> bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>> underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
>> the way it's supposed to be?
>
> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.

Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
long time.

For my last house, I used this to replace the PT deck. Price I paid was
much less than listed here. Looked great for years too.

https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/5-4-x-6-cumaru-wood-decking?variant=31485452976170

Re: deck

<86ju1j1nrr5pudj7l51c2p25dhop92a605@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57312&group=alt.home.repair#57312

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:21:22 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 04:21 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:46:31 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 4/16/2024 6:57 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
>
>>> Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>>> when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>>> bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>>> underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
>>> the way it's supposed to be?
>>
>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.
>>

>Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
>seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
>long time.

I wasn't looking at deck construction that long ago, so that explains why I
haven't seen a deck built with non-PT lumber. It's probably safe to say that
very few, or even none, have survived to this day.

>For my last house, I used this to replace the PT deck. Price I paid was
>much less than listed here. Looked great for years too.
>
>https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/5-4-x-6-cumaru-wood-decking?variant=31485452976170

PT pine decking is less than a dollar a foot where I live, so the price of
cumaru listed on that site is more than 5x the price. It would take an extreme
discount to get my attention. Even Trex isn't that precious.

Re: deck

<tjmu1jl9k3vagfre90f3legk4cq7oascv7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57313&group=alt.home.repair#57313

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:19:53 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:19 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:11:24 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 4/16/2024 8:56 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>> I want to restain my deck. My plan is to pressure wash it, let it dry,
>> and stain it with some Behr product using a paint brush and roller.
>>
>> When I look online for instructions there's all sorts or things about
>> using a cleaner, fungicide, and many other things. I'm not sure I want
>> to do all that since I won't be living here more than another couple
>> years.
>>
>> Will my plan work or is there a minimum amount of other work you
>> suggest? How long can I wait to stain after pressure washing? It
>> might take a few weekends to finish all this.
>>

>Be careful with pressure washing. Have you done it before? You need
>enough pressure to clean using a fan spray. Pointed will tear into the
>wood and make it ugly.
>
>Depending on climate, I'd wait at least a week, maybe two before staining.
>
>Cleaner? If you were going to use a scrub brush and hose instead of
>pressure washer, that would be a good idea.
Before I switched to composite decking (best move I ever made,
deckwize) I used a mix ofT SP, bleach, and washing powder and a broom.
Had the same effect as pressure washing - removing lignin from the
grain exposing the harder wood. This was on Southern Yellow Pine.I
also often used the pressure washer to peal off the old stain that
didn't want to stay on any more. Other than my railing and posts that
crapo is all in the past now (and I was able to replace my back deck
with composite for less than pressure treated due to luck and good
timing (walked into Home Depot when an internet order had just been
returned - got it for 50 cents on the dollar)

Re: deck

<l6nu1jl2tdu6f46ebe2knnuqs5se14ej1r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57314&group=alt.home.repair#57314

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:25:52 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:25 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
>>spot was lower than it was where the front of the deck had been, and the
>>one inch put it above the height which required a stairway. I though of
>>building a stairs, but decided to spread dirt and flagstones in front of
>>the deck to make it the right height. I wasn't home when the inspector
>>returned the next day, but he said it was okay.
>>
>>Now i have a smaller deck but a bigger yard.
>>
>>Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>>when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>>bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>>underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
>>the way it's supposed to be?
>
>In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.

My untreated southern yellow pine deck lasted 20 years. My untreated
cedar front porch/deck lasted about 25. My treated deck didn't make
15.
At 72 I don't think I'll live long enough to worry about my current
composit decks

Re: deck

<hfnu1jl3d4t4no87k05s511igp5pe74e86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57315&group=alt.home.repair#57315

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:30:00 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:30 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:46:31 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 4/16/2024 6:57 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
>
>>> Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>>> when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>>> bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>>> underneath it!! Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber. Is that
>>> the way it's supposed to be?
>>
>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.
>>

>Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
>seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
>long time.
>
>For my last house, I used this to replace the PT deck. Price I paid was
>much less than listed here. Looked great for years too.
>
>https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/5-4-x-6-cumaru-wood-decking?variant=31485452976170
Is that the ultra heat treated stuff? Have heard very good reports on
it. Heated under pressure - it is harder and denser than "raw" wood
and has NO fungal spores or bacteria in it

Re: deck

<661fc511$0$6555$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57316&group=alt.home.repair#57316

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:48:17 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:48 UTC

On 4/17/2024 1:30 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.
>>>

>> Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
>> seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
>> long time.
>>
>> For my last house, I used this to replace the PT deck. Price I paid was
>> much less than listed here. Looked great for years too.
>>
>> https://buy.advantagelumber.com/products/5-4-x-6-cumaru-wood-decking?variant=31485452976170
> Is that the ultra heat treated stuff? Have heard very good reports on
> it. Heated under pressure - it is harder and denser than "raw" wood
> and has NO fungal spores or bacteria in it

I know it has some process but not sure of details. Only thing I every
did to it was an oil type stuff brushed or rolled on. When we sold the
house, it was 15 years old and looked about the same as when I put it in.

Re: deck

<LuQTN.109$pBB3.71@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57317&group=alt.home.repair#57317

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:52:43 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:52 UTC

Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid> writes:

>>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with untreated
>>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.
>>>

>>Pressure treated did not become popular until the 1970s or so. I've
>>seem some decks that were not PT and properly cared for, lasted a very
>>long time.
>
>I wasn't looking at deck construction that long ago, so that explains why I
>haven't seen a deck built with non-PT lumber. It's probably safe to say that
>very few, or even none, have survived to this day.

My hot tub deck and front veranda are both made from teak. I expect
them both to survive for decades.

Re: deck

<uvom6h$1l8kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57318&group=alt.home.repair#57318

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:26:11 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:26 UTC

On 4/16/2024 6:46 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 4/16/2024 6:57 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
>
>>> Upshot, the must-have-been-treated floor boards were still pretty good
>>> when the couldn't-have-been-treated support lumber was rotting, so why
>>> bother using fungicide on the floor if the support can rot out
>>> underneath it!!  Maybe your deck is entirely treated lumber.  Is that
>>> the way it's supposed to be?
>>
>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with
>> untreated
>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.

I am in the process of replacing just such a deck, built with clear
cedar decking and untreated sub-structure. The structure is seriously
rotted.

Re: deck

<6cRTN.457599$7uxe.89476@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57319&group=alt.home.repair#57319

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:41:05 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:41 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, Apr 17 2024 10:26:03 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In my limited experience, I've never seen a deck that was built with
>>> untreated
>>> lumber. To me, that sounds like a DIY project gone wrong.
>>>

> I am in the process of replacing just such a deck, built with clear
> cedar decking and untreated sub-structure. The structure is seriously
> rotted.

What were you thinking? Do you have no brain, sheesh!!!???

Re: deck

<uvoo2c$1liqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57320&group=alt.home.repair#57320

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:58:06 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:58 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:41 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, Apr 17 2024 10:26:03 -0700, Bob F
> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I am in the process of replacing just such a deck, built with clear
>> cedar decking and untreated sub-structure. The structure is seriously
>> rotted.
>>

> What were you thinking? Do you have no brain, sheesh!!!???

I was thinking this old deck needs to be replaced. What else should I think?

Re: deck

<c0pv1jhiflfnlspth7hf913c0u01n0kb40@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57321&group=alt.home.repair#57321

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:01:55 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:01 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:58:06 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/17/2024 7:41 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, Apr 17 2024 10:26:03 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am in the process of replacing just such a deck, built with clear
>>> cedar decking and untreated sub-structure. The structure is seriously
>>> rotted.
>>>

>> What were you thinking? Do you have no brain, sheesh!!!???

Another forgery, And to say so little. I guess the insult is that
important to the jackass forger.

>I was thinking this old deck needs to be replaced. What else should I think?

Ignore him. Remember thnat I only use insults with the trolls.

Re: deck

<uvort9$1mfti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57322&group=alt.home.repair#57322

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:03:53 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:03 UTC

On 4/17/2024 8:01 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:58:06 -0700, Bob F
> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2024 7:41 AM, micky wrote:

>>> What were you thinking? Do you have no brain, sheesh!!!???
>>>
> Another forgery, And to say so little. I guess the insult is that
> important to the jackass forger.

I suspected that. Shall we wait for it to give me an answer?

Waiting.

>> I was thinking this old deck needs to be replaced. What else should I think?
>
> Ignore him. Remember thnat I only use insults with the trolls.

For Micky

<uvot3f$1mn41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57325&group=alt.home.repair#57325

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: For Micky
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:24:15 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:24 UTC

I found this about faked Usenet posts.

https://flylib.com/books/en/2.57.1.182/1/

Re: deck

<uvotbt$1mmo6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57327&group=alt.home.repair#57327

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:28:43 -0400
 by: Frank - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:28 UTC

On 4/17/2024 12:03 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 8:01 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:58:06 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Another forgery, And to say so little. I guess the insult is that
>> important to the jackass forger.
>
> I suspected that. Shall we wait for it to give me an answer?
>
> Waiting.
>

>>> I was thinking this old deck needs to be replaced. What else should I
>>> think?
>>
>> Ignore him.  Remember thnat I only use insults with the trolls.

So now we have a fake mickey? Just what we need, more mickeys.

I see my Trex deck is now 5 years old. Looks as good as the day it was
built.

At the time I may have detailed the travails the county imposed. Needed
a permit to tear down the old one and another permit to put up a new
one. Had to place the footers three feet down whereas old deck footers
rested on patio for over 40 years without a problem. Then the tax
assessor increased the value of my property. If it was DYI I could have
skipped putting up with this crap.

Re: deck

<l8acg8Fpe79U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57328&group=alt.home.repair#57328

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: 17 Apr 2024 16:42:48 GMT
 by: rbowman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:42 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:52:43 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> My hot tub deck and front veranda are both made from teak. I expect
> them both to survive for decades.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/the-grave-human-cost-of-teak-
wood-135147