Bounders get bound when they are caught bounding. -- Ralph Lewin

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Thermostat screw up

SubjectAuthor
* Thermostat screw upEd Pawlowski
+- Re: Thermostat screw updanny burstein
`* Re: Thermostat screw upFrank
 +* Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
 |`* Re: Thermostat screw upRetirednoguilt
 | `* Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
 |  `* Re: Thermostat screw upRetirednoguilt
 |   `* Re: Thermostat screw upMark Lloyd
 |    `- Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
 `* Re: Thermostat screw upEd P
  +* Re: Thermostat screw upmicky
  |`* Re: Thermostat screw upClare Snyder
  | +* Re: Thermostat screw upmicky
  | |+* Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
  | ||+* Re: Thermostat screw upEd P
  | ||`* Re: Thermostat screw upmicky
  | || +* Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
  | || `* Re: Thermostat screw upScott Lurndal
  | ||  `* Re: Thermostat screw upmicky
  | ||   `- Re: Thermostat screw up😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
  | |`- Re: Thermostat screw upmicky
  | `- Re: Thermostat screw upMark Lloyd
  +* Re: Thermostat screw upFrank
  |`* Re: Thermostat screw updanny burstein
  | `- Re: Thermostat screw upEd P
  `- Re: Thermostat screw upCindy Hamilton

Pages:12
Re: Thermostat screw up

<cn0IN.90861$IfLe.38940@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56214&group=alt.home.repair#56214

Subject: Re: Thermostat screw up
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:35:04 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:35 UTC

[snip]

> It claims it is, but all that's there is the hyperlink to the on-line
> manual. I think they believe that most customers are too lazy or too
> ignorant to fuss with adjustments and satisfied using whatever default
> settings exist when the TV is first booted up. Of course, just give the
> remote to any kid under the age of 14 and they'll navigate immediately
> to just what you want to adjust. Doesn't matter if it's a TV, smart
> phone, etc.

What I wish I could do with my TV is turn off overscan. I see nothing
about in the manual or the menus.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more
proficient at genocide."

Re: Thermostat screw up

<9G0IN.94764$zF_1.78450@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56215&group=alt.home.repair#56215

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:55:17 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:55 UTC

On 3/11/24 18:41, Ed P wrote:
> On 3/11/2024 6:40 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>
>> China has made alkaline batteries affordable for us now, but I
>> remember in the 1990s alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D) were like
>> luxury items. Radio Shack rolled out a gimmick called "Battery Club".
>> If you joined the club for a fee, then you could buy certain number of
>> batteries at a discounted price every month. Today such idea is
>> laughable. Batteries are so cheap now at Amazon and Home Dept, who the
>> hell would join a "Battery Club"?
>>

> Would be good for some.  A woman I worked with was single and she use a
> lot of C cell batteries.

I don't hear about C & D sizes much now, although a few years ago I did
have a cat toy that used C cells. Also, during a power outage I went to
a store for a battery-powered radio. The only one they had used C cells
(which they were out of).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more
proficient at genocide."

Re: Thermostat screw up

<V21IN.195606$Fr1.5631@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56220&group=alt.home.repair#56220

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:21:39 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

Mark Lloyd wrote on 3/12/2024 1:55 PM:
> On 3/11/24 18:41, Ed P wrote:
>> On 3/11/2024 6:40 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>>
>>> China has made alkaline batteries affordable for us now, but I
>>> remember in the 1990s alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D) were like
>>> luxury items. Radio Shack rolled out a gimmick called "Battery
>>> Club". If you joined the club for a fee, then you could buy certain
>>> number of batteries at a discounted price every month. Today such
>>> idea is laughable. Batteries are so cheap now at Amazon and Home
>>> Dept, who the hell would join a "Battery Club"?
>>>

>> Would be good for some.  A woman I worked with was single and she use
>> a lot of C cell batteries.
>
> I don't hear about C & D sizes much now, although a few years ago I
> did have a cat toy that used C cells. Also, during a power outage I
> went to a store for a battery-powered radio. The only one they had
> used C cells (which they were out of).

Flashlights have all switched to energy efficient LED bulbs. There is no
need for C and D cells. Many power hungry devices come with rechargeable
lithium-ion battery inside. Even the computer mouse I am using now has
built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It is definite a lot lighter
than my old mouse using 2 AA cells. The 2 AA alkaline batteries are
heavier than the mouse itself.

Re: Thermostat screw up

<fl1IN.250238$ps1.120977@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56225&group=alt.home.repair#56225

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:41:14 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:41 UTC

Mark Lloyd wrote on 3/12/2024 1:35 PM:
> [snip]
>
>> It claims it is, but all that's there is the hyperlink to the on-line
>> manual. I think they believe that most customers are too lazy or too
>> ignorant to fuss with adjustments and satisfied using whatever default
>> settings exist when the TV is first booted up.  Of course, just give the
>> remote to any kid under the age of 14 and they'll navigate immediately
>> to just what you want to adjust.  Doesn't matter if it's a TV, smart
>> phone, etc.
>
> What I wish I could do with my TV is turn off overscan. I see nothing
> about in the manual or the menus.

This feature might be in your set-top box, independent of your TV.

I found something that might help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/252193/hdtv-overscan-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-probably-turn-it-off/

Start by grabbing your TV's remote and pressing the Menu button. Head to
your TV's picture settings. If you see something called "Overscan", your
life is simple: just turn it off.

If you don’t see that setting, however, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s
not available on your set—it /probably/ means that the manufacturer
decided to change the name to make it “easier to understand.” In that
case, you’ll have to either keep digging and tweaking till you find it,
or you can do the unthinkable: read the manual. Do you even still have
the manual? Probably not. I bet you can find it online.

Since we're basically friends, though, I compiled a quick list of some
of the most popular manufacturers and what they call overscan on their sets:

Vizio: Change the picture mode to "Normal" (if it isn't already). This
automatically disables overscan.*

*Samsung: Look for the "Screen Fit" option.*

*Insignia: In the advanced options menu, it's surprisingly called
"overscan."

Sharp, LG, and Philips: Unfortunately, we couldn't find a good consensus
on these three brands, so you'll probably just have to Google it for
your specific model.

These won't necessarily be exact for every individual model, but they
should set you in the right direction. Once you’ve found the correct
setting, you can just disable it (or tweak it, if allowed) and you’re
done. Enjoy all that content you never got to see before and didn’t even
realize it.

Check Your Set-Top Boxes, Too

https://static1.howtogeekimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Settings_20160422_1015521.png

That's not all, though! Many set-top boxes—like NVIDIA SHIELD, Amazon
Fire TV, and Apple TV for example—also have their own overscan settings.
So even if your TV has overscan turned off, your set-top box might still
be stretching the picture. In some cases, it could even be an underscan
option, which zooms out on your video in order to overcome the downsides
of overscan.

So, once you've got your TV working properly, check your set-top boxes,
game consoles, and DVD or Blu-ray players for any overscan or underscan
options. Like the TV, it may not be labeled as “overscan,” so don't be
afraid to experiment. And of course this will only apply to that
connection. If you change the overscan settings on your streaming box,
for example, it won’t have any effect on other inputs, like your cable box.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV (4th generation), and some Android TV boxes
should all have options to adjust overscan in some way,

Overscan is archaic and outdated, but unfortunately as long as analog
connections exist and content creators continue to use the overscan
area, it’s not something we’re going to get rid of. At least you can
disable it on most modern televisions though, so you can get rid of it
in your own living room. Welcome to the new world.

Re: Thermostat screw up

<16s3vi11n5ic0fgk8cb8qsc5iotmg64hgl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56261&group=alt.home.repair#56261

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:32:56 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:32 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:54:04 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:46:37 -0400, Clare Snyder
><clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:54:39 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:

>>>And batteries. When I grew up the only use for batteries, was the car
>>>battery and flashlights.
>>And the doorbell - and all those cheap japanese toys
>
>Our doorbell was connected to a doorbell transformer, and as to toys, my
>parents didn't buy me such toys. They required batteries.

An example. They were already selling battery-powered toy cars, with a
cable between the control and the car. But I was given a mechanically
powered jeep. To make it go forward or back, one turned a crank on the
control, and to steer one pushed a lever. I'm not complaining. It was
fun and it had no batteries to go dead.

Re: Thermostat screw up

<oilNN.117649$Sf59.115930@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56517&group=alt.home.repair#56517

From: hiramtsc...@gmail.com (Hiram T Schwantz)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:28:52 -0400
 by: Hiram T Schwantz - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 21:28 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:41:18 -0400, Ed P posted for all of us to digest...

> On 3/11/2024 6:40 PM, ? Mighty Wannabe ? wrote:
>
> > China has made alkaline batteries affordable for us now, but I remember
> > in the 1990s alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D) were like luxury items.
> > Radio Shack rolled out a gimmick called "Battery Club". If you joined
> > the club for a fee, then you could buy certain number of batteries at a
> > discounted price every month. Today such idea is laughable. Batteries
> > are so cheap now at Amazon and Home Dept, who the hell would join a
> > "Battery Club"?
> >

> Would be good for some. A woman I worked with was single and she use a
> lot of C cell batteries.

Sneaking another one in, aye Ed?

--
Hiram