You will triumph over your enemy.

interests / alt.home.repair / OT auto - catalytic converter

SubjectAuthor
* OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
+* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
|+* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterBoris
||`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
|| `- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterSnag
|`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
| +* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
| |+* Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
| ||`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
| || `* Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
| ||  `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
| ||   `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterFrank
| ||    +* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterRalph Mowery
| ||    |`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterrbowman
| ||    | `- Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile GossipPeeler
| ||    `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterrbowman
| ||     `- Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile GossipPeeler
| |`- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
| `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
|  `- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
+* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterFrank
|`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
| `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
|  `- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterHiram T Schwantz
`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterFishrrman
 +- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
 `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
  `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
   `* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
    +* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
    |`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
    | +* Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
    | |+* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterhubops
    | ||+* Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
    | ||`* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterrbowman
    | || `- Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile GossipPeeler
    | |`* Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
    | | `- Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky
    | +* Re: OT auto - catalytic converterEd P
    | |`- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterHiram T Schwantz
    | `- Re: OT auto - catalytic converterClare Snyder
    `- Re: OT auto - catalytic convertermicky

Pages:12
OT auto - catalytic converter

<m8ekuit1jmtpt938uhmr8mm7salva1lsfp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55982&group=alt.home.repair#55982

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT auto - catalytic converter
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:10 UTC

My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
has started to behave very sluggish
on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
Any ideas ?
I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
but I've never had that before.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<muekuitsups5ud0gcq2onltjoj2kmf5f4l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55983&group=alt.home.repair#55983

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT auto - catalytic converter
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:18:12 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:18 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>has started to behave very sluggish
>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
> Any ideas ?
> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>but I've never had that before.
> John T.

ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
- could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
... I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
Dunno.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<XnsB12E9D48C2ABFnospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55991&group=alt.home.repair#55991

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:27:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:27 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote in news:muekuitsups5ud0gcq2onltjoj2kmf5f4l@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>has started to behave very sluggish
>>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>> Any ideas ?
>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>but I've never had that before.
>> John T.
>>

> ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
> premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
> of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
> .. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
> for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
> Dunno.
> John T.

I've had a clogged catalytic converter on two vehicles. One was still
under warranty, the other was not. In both cases, the symptoms were
exactly as yours. Driving on level roads was fine, but once I started to
climb, especially a steep climb, I sometimes didn't think I was going to
make it to the top.

Everything else was fine. Started fine, no misfires, no check-engine light,
etc.

Good luck.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<gtjkuit501me3o0p35mmu9qit1c8i5m0gh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55993&group=alt.home.repair#55993

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 18:43:46 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:43 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:27:41 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
wrote:

>hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote in news:muekuitsups5ud0gcq2onltjoj2kmf5f4l@
>4ax.com:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>
>>>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>>has started to behave very sluggish
>>>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>>but I've never had that before.
>>> John T.
>>>

>> ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>> premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>> of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>> .. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>> for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>> Dunno.
>> John T.
>>

>I've had a clogged catalytic converter on two vehicles. One was still
>under warranty, the other was not. In both cases, the symptoms were
>exactly as yours. Driving on level roads was fine, but once I started to
>climb, especially a steep climb, I sometimes didn't think I was going to
>make it to the top.
>
>Everything else was fine. Started fine, no misfires, no check-engine light,
>etc.
>
>Good luck.

Much thanks.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<65ea6372$0$2088296$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55996&group=alt.home.repair#55996

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:01:40 -0600
 by: Snag - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:01 UTC

On 3/7/2024 5:43 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:27:41 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote in news:muekuitsups5ud0gcq2onltjoj2kmf5f4l@
>> 4ax.com:

>>> ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>>> premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>>> of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>>> .. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>>> for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>>> Dunno.
>>> John T.
>>>

>> I've had a clogged catalytic converter on two vehicles. One was still
>> under warranty, the other was not. In both cases, the symptoms were
>> exactly as yours. Driving on level roads was fine, but once I started to
>> climb, especially a steep climb, I sometimes didn't think I was going to
>> make it to the top.
>>
>> Everything else was fine. Started fine, no misfires, no check-engine light,
>> etc.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> Much thanks.
> John T.

Go up the steepest hill you can find with a carload of passengers and
the windows rolled down . If the cat is clogged it will hiss . Once
you've heard it you'll always recognize it .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<fpaluip5sjpb0ujgaucql4t084m01gq0t2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56004&group=alt.home.repair#56004

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:16:13 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 06:16 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:18:12 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>has started to behave very sluggish
>>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>> Any ideas ?
>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>but I've never had that before.
>> John T.
>>

>ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>.. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
> Dunno.
> John T.

Most likely issue on THAT car is carbon build-up on the intake valves.
The "fix" is walnut hull blasting the back of the valves - through the
intake ports. I believe they pull the intake and blast the intake
ports with the valves closed and vacuum out the mess then blow it
clean and wash it out with solvent. The dealers have the equipment.
MAY be covered by a good-will policy, but I wouldn't count on it -
maybe 11000 Km ago -- - -

Foding the intake with SeaFoam or CRC intake valve cleener or liquid
Moly Valve Clean or ATP AT-100 intake blaster may also do the job - at
under $50 Canadian - many of them under $39 it would be worth a try

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<mb7muipcjjtkkm0c4a8psaq0utpa78gm3i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56013&group=alt.home.repair#56013

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:23:04 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:16:13 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:18:12 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>
>>>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>>has started to behave very sluggish
>>>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>>but I've never had that before.
>>> John T.
>>>

>>ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>>premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>>of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>>.. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>>for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>> Dunno.
>> John T.
>>
>Most likely issue on THAT car is carbon build-up on the intake valves.
>The "fix" is walnut hull blasting the back of the valves - through the
>intake ports. I believe they pull the intake and blast the intake
>ports with the valves closed and vacuum out the mess then blow it
>clean and wash it out with solvent. The dealers have the equipment.
>MAY be covered by a good-will policy, but I wouldn't count on it -
>maybe 11000 Km ago -- - -
>
>Foding the intake with SeaFoam or CRC intake valve cleener or liquid
>Moly Valve Clean or ATP AT-100 intake blaster may also do the job - at
>under $50 Canadian - many of them under $39 it would be worth a try

The 2 people that I know, who had this engine fail,
both had failure while driving - flashing engine light
+ limp mode. I don't know if they had this symptom
leading up to it. Thanks for the reply.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<t8amuit0gh679qeu3ag5evd9k24qecmdfo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56015&group=alt.home.repair#56015

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:06:11 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:06 UTC

wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:18:12 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:10:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>
>>>My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>>has started to behave very sluggish
>>>on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>>no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>>Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>>but I've never had that before.
>>> John T.
>>>

>>ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>>premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>>of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>>.. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>>for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>> Dunno.
>> John T.
>>
>Most likely issue on THAT car is carbon build-up on the intake valves.
>The "fix" is walnut hull blasting the back of the valves - through the
>intake ports. I believe they pull the intake and blast the intake
>ports with the valves closed and vacuum out the mess then blow it
>clean and wash it out with solvent. The dealers have the equipment.
>MAY be covered by a good-will policy, but I wouldn't count on it -
>maybe 11000 Km ago -- - -
>
>Foding the intake with SeaFoam or CRC intake valve cleener or liquid
>Moly Valve Clean or ATP AT-100 intake blaster may also do the job - at
>under $50 Canadian - many of them under $39 it would be worth a try

Is this the sort of treatment you're talking about ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRwcnj8-OE

John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<2dfmui51ufqqi2mfculsvcttpu7n7b4m6e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56022&group=alt.home.repair#56022

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 11:34:16 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:34 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:23:04 -0500,
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> The 2 people that I know, who had this engine fail,
>both had failure while driving - flashing engine light
> + limp mode. I don't know if they had this symptom

How fast can you go in limp mode? I mostly drive around town, not very
far, I'm in no hurry, and I could play the role of an old man, and maybe
I could just save on repairs by just limping along.

>leading up to it. Thanks for the reply.
> John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<smimui1ui7p34lqn6p1i9s5527vh2fpubv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56024&group=alt.home.repair#56024

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:30:20 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:30 UTC

>How fast can you go in limp mode? I mostly drive around town, not very
>far, I'm in no hurry, and I could play the role of an old man, and maybe
>I could just save on repairs by just limping along.

.... probably why mine is carboned-up - I drive like an old woman.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<usfjkm$1r59h$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56028&group=alt.home.repair#56028

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:58:46 -0500
 by: Frank - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:58 UTC

On 3/7/2024 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
> has started to behave very sluggish
> on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
> no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
> Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
> Any ideas ?
> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
> but I've never had that before.
> John T.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U8c2JEisxCg

Scotty may have another video on cleaning.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<67lmuidf72ph5nt45c4aiu9040jn3iopkc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56029&group=alt.home.repair#56029

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:12:32 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:58:46 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

>On 3/7/2024 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>> has started to behave very sluggish
>> on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>> no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>> Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>> Any ideas ?
>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>> but I've never had that before.
>> John T.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U8c2JEisxCg
>
>Scotty may have another video on cleaning.

Thanks, I'd never heard of them making noise.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<hjlmuithnfip4ov9ksan3lrcee6ph5par0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56030&group=alt.home.repair#56030

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:20:27 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:20 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:30:20 -0500,
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>How fast can you go in limp mode? I mostly drive around town, not very
>>far, I'm in no hurry, and I could play the role of an old man, and maybe
>>I could just save on repairs by just limping along.
>>

>... probably why mine is carboned-up - I drive like an old woman.
> John T.

I think googling is damaging to the traffic level here, but I did it
anyhow:
How fast can I drive in limp mode? This depends on what parameters the
manufacturer has set, in most cases you will be limited to no more than
30mph to 50mph and will not be able to rev the car above 3,000rpm or
change into higher gears if it is an automatic.

Sounds good. 30 to 50 is enough for me. I don't go higher than 3000
most of the time.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<usgfkt$20gl4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56054&group=alt.home.repair#56054

From: Fishrrma...@yahoo.com (Fishrrman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:56:44 -0500
 by: Fishrrman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 01:56 UTC

On 3/7/24 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
> has started to behave very sluggish
> on acceleration and hills.

Just wondering...
How long since you changed the spark plugs?

And... the engine air filter?

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<gojnuitq7qrumg6098ffbvt8dkkhq9sclp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56056&group=alt.home.repair#56056

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 21:56:18 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:56 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:23:04 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:16:13 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:

>>>ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>>>premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>>>of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>>>.. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>>>for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>>> Dunno.
>>> John T.
>>>
>>Most likely issue on THAT car is carbon build-up on the intake valves.
>>The "fix" is walnut hull blasting the back of the valves - through the
>>intake ports. I believe they pull the intake and blast the intake
>>ports with the valves closed and vacuum out the mess then blow it
>>clean and wash it out with solvent. The dealers have the equipment.
>>MAY be covered by a good-will policy, but I wouldn't count on it -
>>maybe 11000 Km ago -- - -
>>
>>Foding the intake with SeaFoam or CRC intake valve cleener or liquid
>>Moly Valve Clean or ATP AT-100 intake blaster may also do the job - at
>>under $50 Canadian - many of them under $39 it would be worth a try
>>

> The 2 people that I know, who had this engine fail,
>both had failure while driving - flashing engine light
> + limp mode. I don't know if they had this symptom
>leading up to it. Thanks for the reply.
> John T.
The 3 I know had absolutely NO symptoms - just total catastrophic
failure - one other one it never failed but rattled like a cold diesel
and drank oil like a 2 stroke. all 4 got free engines. One at
240,000KM (the rattler) and one at 208000KM. My sister's grenaded at
under 70,000KM under normal warranty

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<gvjnui9qmcctt6o9v3ei940dk67aur6ovc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56057&group=alt.home.repair#56057

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 21:58:39 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:58 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:06:11 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:16:13 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:

>>>ps : these 2 litre GDI engines have issues with internal
>>>premature wear - a class action law suit and some sort
>>>of hidden 10 year warranty exists apparently ..
>>> - could this issue lead to my symptoms ?
>>>.. I would have thought I'd see smoke and hear noise
>>>for valve / piston / crank / cam type problems.
>>> Dunno.
>>> John T.
>>>
>>Most likely issue on THAT car is carbon build-up on the intake valves.
>>The "fix" is walnut hull blasting the back of the valves - through the
>>intake ports. I believe they pull the intake and blast the intake
>>ports with the valves closed and vacuum out the mess then blow it
>>clean and wash it out with solvent. The dealers have the equipment.
>>MAY be covered by a good-will policy, but I wouldn't count on it -
>>maybe 11000 Km ago -- - -
>>
>>Foding the intake with SeaFoam or CRC intake valve cleener or liquid
>>Moly Valve Clean or ATP AT-100 intake blaster may also do the job - at
>>under $50 Canadian - many of them under $39 it would be worth a try
>>

> Is this the sort of treatment you're talking about ?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRwcnj8-OE
>
> John T.
That is the CRC product I mentioned.I would use that product
twice.About 500KM apart. - then every 15000Km thereafter

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<s4knuidjtkqmjprsjarf1kjkorkr20vh6e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56059&group=alt.home.repair#56059

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:01:15 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 03:01 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:20:27 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:30:20 -0500,
>hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>

>>>How fast can you go in limp mode? I mostly drive around town, not very
>>>far, I'm in no hurry, and I could play the role of an old man, and maybe
>>>I could just save on repairs by just limping along.
>>>

>>... probably why mine is carboned-up - I drive like an old woman.
>> John T.
>
>I think googling is damaging to the traffic level here, but I did it
>anyhow:
>How fast can I drive in limp mode? This depends on what parameters the
>manufacturer has set, in most cases you will be limited to no more than
>30mph to 50mph and will not be able to rev the car above 3,000rpm or
>change into higher gears if it is an automatic.
>
>Sounds good. 30 to 50 is enough for me. I don't go higher than 3000
>most of the time.
If the check engine light is flashing drive it JUST far enough to get
it out of the live lane of traffic unless you want to spend a LOT of
un-necessary money!!!!

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<rfknui9qpvbtcf2cd0ne60ulr40oqqu1i1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56060&group=alt.home.repair#56060

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:07:15 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 03:07 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:12:32 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:58:46 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:
>
>>On 3/7/2024 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>> has started to behave very sluggish
>>> on acceleration and hills. No check engine light ;
>>> no mis-fire ; no smoke ; noleaks ; starts & idles fine ;
>>> Fuel economy is suffering as would be expected.
>>> Under light-footed driving it seems almost normal.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>> I keep thinking it could be clogged cat. converter
>>> but I've never had that before.
>>> John T.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U8c2JEisxCg
>>
>>Scotty may have another video on cleaning.
>>

> Thanks, I'd never heard of them making noise.
> John T.
TAke anything Scotty K has to say with a grain of salt and an
alka-seltzer. What an opinionated know-nothing asshat.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<jjknui9qfkvf1iqpliemlli5unqs8cci6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56061&group=alt.home.repair#56061

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:09:50 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 03:09 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:56:44 -0500, Fishrrman <Fishrrman2000@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 3/7/24 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>> has started to behave very sluggish
>> on acceleration and hills.
>
>Just wondering...
>How long since you changed the spark plugs?
>
>And... the engine air filter?
Neither one will produce the symptoms reported without throwing a
code and lighting the CEL- and from my experience the OEM plugs on
that car are generally still VERY serviceable at 170,000KM - but I
would never leave them in that long

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<4hknuid9ut5a949v1s9965i567j3p18680@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56062&group=alt.home.repair#56062

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:10:21 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 03:10 UTC

wrote:

>On 3/7/24 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>> has started to behave very sluggish
>> on acceleration and hills.
>
>Just wondering...
>How long since you changed the spark plugs?
>And... the engine air filter?

Spark plugs are original ; numerous air filters.
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<ffkpuit1ioki9vfeiadfdgpbbho4qqbqae@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56074&group=alt.home.repair#56074

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 16:21:47 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 21:21 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:10:21 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:56:44 -0500, Fishrrman <Fishrrman2000@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 3/7/24 5:10 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>> My 8 year old Kia 170 k km 4 cyl. gas auto
>>> has started to behave very sluggish
>>> on acceleration and hills.
>>
>>Just wondering...
>>How long since you changed the spark plugs?
>>And... the engine air filter?
>>

>Spark plugs are original ; numerous air filters.
> John T.
When you replace the plugs use either NGK or Nippondenso - or AC Delco
in a pinch. NOT E3 or Bosch Dual Platinum or other "gimick" plugs.
With Coil On Plug dual platinum is not required - they ARE highly
recommended for waste spark ignition systems (just not BOSCH). Waste
spark systems (double ended coils) fire plugs both polarities so
erode both electrodes.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<i4suui97h4b15t6vjg833r1nine9kdmsmp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56159&group=alt.home.repair#56159

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:03:31 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:03 UTC

On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 16:21:47 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:10:21 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:56:44 -0500, Fishrrman <Fishrrman2000@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Just wondering...
>>>How long since you changed the spark plugs?
>>>And... the engine air filter?
>>>

>>Spark plugs are original ; numerous air filters.
>> John T.
>When you replace the plugs use either NGK or Nippondenso - or AC Delco
>in a pinch. NOT E3 or Bosch Dual Platinum or other "gimick" plugs.
>With Coil On Plug dual platinum is not required - they ARE highly
>recommended for waste spark ignition systems (just not BOSCH). Waste
>spark systems (double ended coils) fire plugs both polarities so
>erode both electrodes.

I guess I haven't bought spark plugs in a long time -

Kia dealer $ 27.54 each ! < NGK OEM >
Canadian Tire NGK OEM $ 20. NGK <same but non OEM $ 13. >
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<kuivuil90k46g5olf0nh4obngs9mc6a5jb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56181&group=alt.home.repair#56181

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:29:23 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:29 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:03:31 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 16:21:47 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:10:21 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>>Spark plugs are original ; numerous air filters.
>>> John T.
>>When you replace the plugs use either NGK or Nippondenso - or AC Delco
>>in a pinch. NOT E3 or Bosch Dual Platinum or other "gimick" plugs.
>>With Coil On Plug dual platinum is not required - they ARE highly
>>recommended for waste spark ignition systems (just not BOSCH). Waste
>>spark systems (double ended coils) fire plugs both polarities so
>>erode both electrodes.
>>

> I guess I haven't bought spark plugs in a long time -
>
>Kia dealer $ 27.54 each ! < NGK OEM >
>Canadian Tire NGK OEM $ 20. NGK <same but non OEM $ 13. >
> John T.
You remember Champion J8 plugs for 29 cents too, do you???

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<bdo0vidnpfj67f4tfqd8a93lqcind4cgef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56187&group=alt.home.repair#56187

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:13:18 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:13 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:29:23 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:03:31 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 16:21:47 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>When you replace the plugs use either NGK or Nippondenso - or AC Delco
>>>in a pinch. NOT E3 or Bosch Dual Platinum or other "gimick" plugs.
>>>With Coil On Plug dual platinum is not required - they ARE highly
>>>recommended for waste spark ignition systems (just not BOSCH). Waste
>>>spark systems (double ended coils) fire plugs both polarities so
>>>erode both electrodes.
>>>

>> I guess I haven't bought spark plugs in a long time -
>>
>>Kia dealer $ 27.54 each ! < NGK OEM >
>>Canadian Tire NGK OEM $ 20. NGK <same but non OEM $ 13. >
>> John T.
>
>You remember Champion J8 plugs for 29 cents too, do you???

I don't remember 29 cent plugs but $ 30. plugs
caught me by surprise !
What makes the NGK OEM better than the same NGK not OEM ?
or better than Autolite 2 for $ 22. ?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autolite-iridium-spark-plug-2-pk-0183219p.0183220.html?loc=plp&rq=spark+plugs

Personal preference / experience ?
John T.

Re: OT auto - catalytic converter

<uspoh0$b0ln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56190&group=alt.home.repair#56190

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:23:26 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On 3/8/2024 10:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:20:27 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:

>>> ... probably why mine is carboned-up - I drive like an old woman.
>>> John T.
>>
>> I think googling is damaging to the traffic level here, but I did it
>> anyhow:
>> How fast can I drive in limp mode? This depends on what parameters the
>> manufacturer has set, in most cases you will be limited to no more than
>> 30mph to 50mph and will not be able to rev the car above 3,000rpm or
>> change into higher gears if it is an automatic.
>>
>> Sounds good. 30 to 50 is enough for me. I don't go higher than 3000
>> most of the time.
> If the check engine light is flashing drive it JUST far enough to get
> it out of the live lane of traffic unless you want to spend a LOT of
> un-necessary money!!!!

Years ago I drove a rental with the check engine light on for over a
thousand miles. That also tells us to never buy a used car from a
rental agency.