Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools. -- George Chapman

interests / alt.usage.english / Tsunami Warning

SubjectAuthor
* Tsunami WarningMack A. Damia
`* Re: Tsunami WarningJ. J. Lodder
 +* Re: Tsunami WarningMack A. Damia
 |`* Re: Tsunami WarningJ. J. Lodder
 | `* Re: Tsunami WarningMack A. Damia
 |  `- Re: Tsunami WarningJ. J. Lodder
 `* Re: Tsunami WarningPeter Moylan
  +* Re: Tsunami WarningSam Plusnet
  |+- Re: Tsunami WarningPeter Moylan
  |`* Re: Tsunami WarningJ. J. Lodder
  | `- Re: Tsunami WarningSam Plusnet
  +* Re: Tsunami Warninglar3ryca
  |+* Re: Tsunami WarningPeter Moylan
  ||`* Re: Tsunami Warninglar3ryca
  || `* Re: Tsunami WarningTony Cooper
  ||  +- Re: Tsunami Warninglar3ryca
  ||  +* Re: Tsunami WarningPeter Moylan
  ||  |`* Re: Tsunami WarningSam Plusnet
  ||  | `- Re: Tsunami WarningPeter Moylan
  ||  `- Re: Tsunami WarningRich Ulrich
  |`* Re: Tsunami WarningAdam Funk
  | `* Re: Tsunami WarningQuinn C
  |  `* Re: Tsunami WarningAdam Funk
  |   +* Re: Tsunami WarningQuinn C
  |   |`- Re: Tsunami WarningAdam Funk
  |   `* Re: Tsunami Warninglar3ryca
  |    `- Re: Tsunami WarningQuinn C
  `- Re: Tsunami WarningJ. J. Lodder

Pages:12
Tsunami Warning

<h8t5ugpolia65268u1d93i1dp0ots9uoh7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109707&group=alt.usage.english#109707

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Tsunami Warning
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:30:05 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:30 UTC

Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga. The
West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First time in
San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong currents;
surfers will love it, although they are telling people to stay out of
the water including boaters.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1plvgml.1o434rlkn2rh2N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109863&group=alt.usage.english#109863

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Tsunami Warning
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:13:50 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:13 UTC

Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga. The
> West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First time in
> San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong currents;
> surfers will love it, although they are telling people to stay out of
> the water including boaters.

The pressure wave was seen all around the globe,
even on crude things such as watches with a barometer function.

Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known
to have gone round the world several times,

Jan

Re: Tsunami Warning

<rfg8uglmpt77h68l0t0pg8fgrfbsrj1s4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109900&group=alt.usage.english#109900

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:05:48 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:05 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:13:50 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga. The
>> West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First time in
>> San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong currents;
>> surfers will love it, although they are telling people to stay out of
>> the water including boaters.

>The pressure wave was seen all around the globe,
>even on crude things such as watches with a barometer function.
>
>Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known
>to have gone round the world several times,

At high tide last evening, the sea was rough and choppy, but I didn't
see or hear about any huge waves.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1plvzvx.1y04bvu1evrq0vN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109934&group=alt.usage.english#109934

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:23:38 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:23 UTC

Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:13:50 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> Lodder) wrote:
>
> >Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga. The
> >> West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First time in
> >> San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong currents;
> >> surfers will love it, although they are telling people to stay out of
> >> the water including boaters.

> >The pressure wave was seen all around the globe,
> >even on crude things such as watches with a barometer function.
> >
> >Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known
> >to have gone round the world several times,
>
> At high tide last evening, the sea was rough and choppy, but I didn't
> see or hear about any huge waves.

This was about -air- pressure waves, nothing to do with water,

Jan

Re: Tsunami Warning

<pnn8ug92lpj7lkt1pkkik21t2dfk6v8gq0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109945&group=alt.usage.english#109945

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:09:35 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:09 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:23:38 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:13:50 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
>> Lodder) wrote:

>> >The pressure wave was seen all around the globe,
>> >even on crude things such as watches with a barometer function.
>> >
>> >Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known
>> >to have gone round the world several times,
>>
>> At high tide last evening, the sea was rough and choppy, but I didn't
>> see or hear about any huge waves.
>
>This was about -air- pressure waves, nothing to do with water,

My topic and post was about tsunami waves. I don't know what you were
on about and don't really care.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1plw67d.7703wv1m2skw0N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=109981&group=alt.usage.english#109981

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:55:26 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:55 UTC

Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:23:38 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> Lodder) wrote:
>
> >Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> At high tide last evening, the sea was rough and choppy, but I didn't
> >> see or hear about any huge waves.
> >
> >This was about -air- pressure waves, nothing to do with water,
>
> My topic and post was about tsunami waves. I don't know what you were
> on about and don't really care.

Yes, and my part wasn't.
It should be obvious that a tsunami,
originating at a nearly anti-podal point
is not going to reach the North Atlantic.

What I mentioned was that the -air- pressure wave does,
and that it was easily seen, even with simple and cheap equipment,

Jan

Re: Tsunami Warning

<ss2bud$jca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110010&group=alt.usage.english#110010

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:06:33 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:06 UTC

On 16/01/22 22:13, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga.
>> The West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First
>> time in San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong
>> currents; surfers will love it, although they are telling people to
>> stay out of the water including boaters.

> The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
> such as watches with a barometer function.
>
> Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
> have gone round the world several times,

Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.

The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
land until the dust settles.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<SL3FJ.46310$ASha.42428@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110022&group=alt.usage.english#110022

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 01:37:53 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 01:37 UTC

On 17-Jan-22 0:06, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 16/01/22 22:13, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga.
>>> The West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning.  First
>>> time in San Diego's history.  Warning is for high waves, strong
>>> currents; surfers will love it, although they are telling people to

>> The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
>> such as watches with a barometer function.
>>
>> Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
>> have gone round the world several times,
>
> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
> tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
> apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.
>
> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
> because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
> New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
> land until the dust settles.

Any idea what type of aircraft the RAAF sent? They would probably need
in-flight refuelling in both directions.
The logistics of that sort of mission are pretty scary.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tsunami Warning

<ss2pca$e6k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110038&group=alt.usage.english#110038

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:55:52 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 03:55 UTC

On 17/01/22 12:37, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 17-Jan-22 0:06, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still
>> unknown, because their international cable stopped working. The
>> Australian and New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but
>> they won't be able to land until the dust settles.
>>
> Any idea what type of aircraft the RAAF sent? They would probably
> need in-flight refuelling in both directions. The logistics of that
> sort of mission are pretty scary.

From Australia: "A surveillance plane and a C130". The C130 can carry
easily enough fuel to get there, but would have to refuel for the return
flight. I think its main mission is to carry things like water and food
there. Probably also medical supplies, because they don't fully know
what sort of situation they will meet. And probably stuff like tents or
other temporary accommodation. The news so far says no serious
casualties, just a lot of property damage.

NZ is sending an Orion, which seems to have a long range.

Both countries are also sending ships, which will of course take longer
to get there but can take a lot of supplies.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<2cbb5603-bfde-4f21-8331-c508433db027n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110040&group=alt.usage.english#110040

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:08:46 -0800 (PST)
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:08 UTC

On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 6:06:41 PM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 16/01/22 22:13, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga.
> >> The West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First
> >> time in San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong
> >> currents; surfers will love it, although they are telling people to
> >> stay out of the water including boaters.

> > The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
> > such as watches with a barometer function.
> >
> > Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
> > have gone round the world several times,
> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
> tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
> apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.

Ahh. Do you see the cartoon "Family Circus" in Australia? It used to be
carried in the newspapers here, and may still be.

When I was running my sign business, I was asked to do a boat name,
"Undertoad". I remembered that cartoon, so rather than just use a stock
font, I used Vag Rounded Bold, using all capitals, and modified the top
of the 'T' with two bulges sticking up, and having holes in the bulges,
making it highly suggestive of frog/toad eyes.

The customer was VERY pleased.

> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
> because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
> New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
> land until the dust settles.
>
> --
> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

Re: Tsunami Warning

<ss3b7f$31p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110075&group=alt.usage.english#110075

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:00:26 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:00 UTC

On 17/01/22 15:08, lar3ryca wrote:
> On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 6:06:41 PM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because
>> of the tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high,
>> but apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming
>> unsafe.
>
> Ahh. Do you see the cartoon "Family Circus" in Australia? It used to
> be carried in the newspapers here, and may still be.

I don't know the cartoon. I got the undertoad from the book "The World
According to Garp", which was a big hit in the late 1970s.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1plx7qr.xr8tvjss3nuvN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110081&group=alt.usage.english#110081

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:54:12 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:54 UTC

Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/01/22 22:13, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Mack A. Damia <drsteerforth@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Bad undersea volcano eruption in the Pacific Ocean near Tonga.
> >> The West Coast including Baja is under a tsunami warning. First
> >> time in San Diego's history. Warning is for high waves, strong
> >> currents; surfers will love it, although they are telling people to
> >> stay out of the water including boaters.

> > The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
> > such as watches with a barometer function.
> >
> > Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
> > have gone round the world several times,
>
> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
> tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
> apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.
>
> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
> because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
> New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
> land until the dust settles.

News here said they can't do aerial reconaissance for the time being
because there is too much ash in the air.

People have grown more carefull as a result of some nasty incedents.
From memory: years ago a KLM 747 flew into an ash cloud over Alaska.
With four loud bangs from compressor stalls they lost all power.
Fortunately the crew managed to restart the engines
before they had lost all of their altitide.
There have been similar incidents.
Current practice is not to go near an ash cloud with a jet engine
if it can be avoided.

Jan

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1plx845.ruoxc0uzl7gdN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110082&group=alt.usage.english#110082

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:54:13 +0100

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 17-Jan-22 0:06, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
> >> such as watches with a barometer function.
> >>
> >> Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
> >> have gone round the world several times,
> >
> > Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
> > tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
> > apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.
> >
> > The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
> > because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
> > New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
> > land until the dust settles.
> >
> Any idea what type of aircraft the RAAF sent? They would probably need
> in-flight refuelling in both directions.
> The logistics of that sort of mission are pretty scary.

They are not easily scared.
The RAF did an extreme bombing mission during the Falklands war
with tankers refueling tankers refuelling bombers.
The RAAF wouldn't want to do less, if really needed,

Jan

Re: Tsunami Warning

<u31gbix129.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110089&group=alt.usage.english#110089

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:39:10 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:39 UTC

On 2022-01-17, lar3ryca wrote:

> On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 6:06:41 PM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> > The pressure wave was seen all around the globe, even on crude things
>> > such as watches with a barometer function.
>> >
>> > Nothing new of course: the pressure wave from Krakatoa is known to
>> > have gone round the world several times,
>> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
>> tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
>> apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.
>
> Ahh. Do you see the cartoon "Family Circus" in Australia? It used to be
> carried in the newspapers here, and may still be.
>
> When I was running my sign business, I was asked to do a boat name,
> "Undertoad". I remembered that cartoon, so rather than just use a stock
> font, I used Vag Rounded Bold, using all capitals, and modified the top

I wondered if that suggestive font name was a typo.

> of the 'T' with two bulges sticking up, and having holes in the bulges,
> making it highly suggestive of frog/toad eyes.
>
> The customer was VERY pleased.

Nice.

>> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
>> because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
>> New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
>> land until the dust settles.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

--
rise to claim Saturn, ring and sky

Re: Tsunami Warning

<1l095f8zg50hz$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110146&group=alt.usage.english#110146

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:44:08 -0500
 by: Quinn C - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:44 UTC

* Adam Funk:

> On 2022-01-17, lar3ryca wrote:
>
>> When I was running my sign business, I was asked to do a boat name,
>> "Undertoad". I remembered that cartoon, so rather than just use a stock
>> font, I used Vag Rounded Bold, using all capitals, and modified the top
>
> I wondered if that suggestive font name was a typo.

Indeed. it should really be kept at "VAG", at least. I might even have
recognized that.

--
.... English-speaking people have managed to get along a good many
centuries with the present supply of pronouns; ... It is so old and

Re: Tsunami Warning

<bad97b53-7793-4203-96ff-2b813759e48an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110151&group=alt.usage.english#110151

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:04:31 -0800 (PST)
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:04 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 3:00:35 AM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 17/01/22 15:08, lar3ryca wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 6:06:41 PM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:
>
> >> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because
> >> of the tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high,
> >> but apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming
> >> unsafe.
> >
> > Ahh. Do you see the cartoon "Family Circus" in Australia? It used to
> > be carried in the newspapers here, and may still be.
> I don't know the cartoon. I got the undertoad from the book "The World
> According to Garp", which was a big hit in the late 1970s.

Oh. I read that, and liked it almost as much as "Catch 22", but I don't
recall that word in it.

"The Family Circus" cartoon I referenced showed the children at the
beach. One of them said something like
"Mommy said we can't go into the water, because there's an undertoad."

Under the water, drawn faintly was what looked like a huge face of a
toad.

> --
> Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW http://www.pmoylan.org

Re: Tsunami Warning

<npcbughvnjap9oaebke5d57lk4oh3fvetv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110153&group=alt.usage.english#110153

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:26:46 -0500
 by: Tony Cooper - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:26 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:04:31 -0800 (PST), lar3ryca
<lar3ryca@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 3:00:35 AM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> > Ahh. Do you see the cartoon "Family Circus" in Australia? It used to
>> > be carried in the newspapers here, and may still be.
>> I don't know the cartoon. I got the undertoad from the book "The World
>> According to Garp", which was a big hit in the late 1970s.
>
>Oh. I read that, and liked it almost as much as "Catch 22", but I don't
>recall that word in it.

That just shows how reading interests vary. "Catch 22" is my all-time
favorite book, and I still have the dog-eared paperback copy that I
first read when taking the Chicago El to work and back.

I made other riders nervous because I'd have to stop reading to
control my laughter. Even with the book closed, I'd burst into
laughter just recalling what I'd just read. The other passengers
would move away from this guy who stared into space and broke out in
convulsive laughter.

I could barely finish "The World According to Garp". Couldn't get
into it. I tried Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" and put it aside
about a third of the way through and never finished it. Too bizarre.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: Tsunami Warning

<64ugbixivi.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110168&group=alt.usage.english#110168

From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:54:14 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:54 UTC

On 2022-01-17, Quinn C wrote:

> * Adam Funk:
>
>> On 2022-01-17, lar3ryca wrote:
>>
>>> When I was running my sign business, I was asked to do a boat name,
>>> "Undertoad". I remembered that cartoon, so rather than just use a stock
>>> font, I used Vag Rounded Bold, using all capitals, and modified the top
>>
>> I wondered if that suggestive font name was a typo.
>
> Indeed. it should really be kept at "VAG", at least. I might even have
> recognized that.

I noticed some of the search hits had "VAG" & some had "Vag", but I
haven't spotted what it stands for yet.

--
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the freaks said,
man, those cats can really swing!

Re: Tsunami Warning

<%xkFJ.139679$%Gk6.112985@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110182&group=alt.usage.english#110182

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:43:39 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:43 UTC

On 17-Jan-22 9:54, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Most Australian east coast beaches were closed yesterday, because of the
>>> tsunami. The waves that reached us were not especially high, but
>>> apparently the undertoad was bad enough to make swimming unsafe.
>>>
>>> The last I heard, the extent of the damage in Tonga was still unknown,
>>> because their international cable stopped working. The Australian and
>>> New Zealand air forces have sent planes there, but they won't be able to
>>> land until the dust settles.
>>>
>> Any idea what type of aircraft the RAAF sent? They would probably need
>> in-flight refuelling in both directions.
>> The logistics of that sort of mission are pretty scary.
>
> They are not easily scared.
> The RAF did an extreme bombing mission during the Falklands war
> with tankers refueling tankers refuelling bombers.
> The RAAF wouldn't want to do less, if really needed,

A friend and co worker was on a subsequent C130 flight to Port
Stanley[1] which had to refuel twice in order to get there.

The return C130 flight was shared with the fuselage of a Harrier jet
(wings removed) taking up all the leg room.

[1] From Ascension Island

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tsunami Warning

<dfusk7yb08k7.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110186&group=alt.usage.english#110186

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:53:07 -0500
 by: Quinn C - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:53 UTC

* Adam Funk:

> On 2022-01-17, Quinn C wrote:
>
>> * Adam Funk:

>>> I wondered if that suggestive font name was a typo.
>>
>> Indeed. it should really be kept at "VAG", at least. I might even have
>> recognized that.
>
> I noticed some of the search hits had "VAG" & some had "Vag", but I
> haven't spotted what it stands for yet.

Volkswagen AG. I remember seeing it on car repair shops in Germany, but
can't find such a sign now. They probably dropped that use of it.

<https://www.halldesigns.co.uk/ssl/digitecphoto/VW-Audi-VAG-Workshop-Banner.JPG>

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them

Re: Tsunami Warning

<0b2554d0-6af8-49ac-9eba-a5f00b18110an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110187&group=alt.usage.english#110187

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:54 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 2:00:08 PM UTC-6, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-01-17, Quinn C wrote:
>
> > * Adam Funk:

> >> I wondered if that suggestive font name was a typo.
> >
> > Indeed. it should really be kept at "VAG", at least. I might even have
> > recognized that.
> I noticed some of the search hits had "VAG" & some had "Vag", but I
> haven't spotted what it stands for yet.

My guess would be that it's a free font reverse engineered from
Vagabond Bold. It looks a lot like that.

https://www.azfonts.net/families/vagabond.html

> --
> Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the freaks said,
> man, those cats can really swing!

Re: Tsunami Warning

<c014e313-05e1-4c89-9343-53b48b91abdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110203&group=alt.usage.english#110203

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:33:30 -0800 (PST)
From: lar3r...@gmail.com (lar3ryca)
 by: lar3ryca - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 21:33 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 12:26:51 PM UTC-6, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:04:31 -0800 (PST), lar3ryca
> <lar3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't know the cartoon. I got the undertoad from the book "The World
> >> According to Garp", which was a big hit in the late 1970s.
> >
> >Oh. I read that, and liked it almost as much as "Catch 22", but I don't
> >recall that word in it.
> >
> That just shows how reading interests vary. "Catch 22" is my all-time
> favorite book, and I still have the dog-eared paperback copy that I
> first read when taking the Chicago El to work and back.

Mine too. I recommend it a lot. I am often reminded of it, and some of
the funniest passages come to mind, and I can't even begin to rate the
characters in order of how much I liked them.

I really should read it again.

> I made other riders nervous because I'd have to stop reading to
> control my laughter. Even with the book closed, I'd burst into
> laughter just recalling what I'd just read. The other passengers
> would move away from this guy who stared into space and broke out in
> convulsive laughter.
>
> I could barely finish "The World According to Garp". Couldn't get
> into it. I tried Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" and put it aside
> about a third of the way through and never finished it. Too bizarre.
>
> --
>
> Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: Tsunami Warning

<a6269ng0tzct.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110230&group=alt.usage.english#110230

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:24:30 -0500
 by: Quinn C - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 23:24 UTC

* lar3ryca:

> On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 2:00:08 PM UTC-6, Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2022-01-17, Quinn C wrote:
>>
>>> * Adam Funk:

>>> Indeed. it should really be kept at "VAG", at least. I might even have
>>> recognized that.
>> I noticed some of the search hits had "VAG" & some had "Vag", but I
>> haven't spotted what it stands for yet.
>
> My guess would be that it's a free font reverse engineered from
> Vagabond Bold. It looks a lot like that.
>
> https://www.azfonts.net/families/vagabond.html

More likely, "Vagabond Bold" is reverse engineered from the Volkswagen
font, which has been in use for decades.

<https://www.azfonts.de/families/volkswagen.html>
<http://pictures.dealer.com/f/fortmyersvw/1534/0a858eaafeddff111c9f1ef77e308277x.jpg>

--
Odo: I've met a lot of Ferengis in my time ... though some of
them may have been more wealthy, I've never met one more devious.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<ss533i$dlj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110243&group=alt.usage.english#110243

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:54:08 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:54 UTC

On 18/01/22 05:26, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:04:31 -0800 (PST), lar3ryca
> <lar3ryca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 3:00:35 AM UTC-6, Peter Moylan
>> wrote:

>>> I don't know the cartoon. I got the undertoad from the book "The
>>> World According to Garp", which was a big hit in the late 1970s.
>>
>> Oh. I read that, and liked it almost as much as "Catch 22", but I
>> don't recall that word in it.
>>
> That just shows how reading interests vary. "Catch 22" is my
> all-time favorite book, and I still have the dog-eared paperback copy
> that I first read when taking the Chicago El to work and back.
>
> I made other riders nervous because I'd have to stop reading to
> control my laughter. Even with the book closed, I'd burst into
> laughter just recalling what I'd just read. The other passengers
> would move away from this guy who stared into space and broke out in
> convulsive laughter.
>
> I could barely finish "The World According to Garp". Couldn't get
> into it. I tried Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" and put it aside
> about a third of the way through and never finished it. Too
> bizarre.

I loved Catch-22 when I first read it. On later readings it wasn't as
good as the first time.

I liked Garp but hated the Hotel New Hampshire.

I'm the author of a mailing list manager. The very roughly equivalent
software on Unix is called Majordomo, so I called mine Major Major.

Re: Tsunami Warning

<StoFJ.139682$%Gk6.15666@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=110247&group=alt.usage.english#110247

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 01:12:17 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 01:12 UTC

On 18-Jan-22 0:54, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 18/01/22 05:26, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:04:31 -0800 (PST), lar3ryca
>> <lar3ryca@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oh. I read that, and liked it almost as much as "Catch 22", but I
>>> don't recall that word in it.
>>>
>> That just shows how reading interests vary.  "Catch 22" is my
>> all-time favorite book, and I still have the dog-eared paperback copy
>> that I first read when taking the Chicago El to work and back.
>>
>> I made other riders nervous because I'd have to stop reading to
>> control my laughter.  Even with the book closed, I'd burst into
>> laughter just recalling what I'd just read.  The other passengers
>> would move away from this guy who stared into space and broke out in
>> convulsive laughter.
>>
>> I could barely finish "The World According to Garp".  Couldn't get
>> into it.  I tried Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" and put it aside
>> about a third of the way through and never finished it.  Too
>> bizarre.
>
> I loved Catch-22 when I first read it. On later readings it wasn't as
> good as the first time.
>
> I liked Garp but hated the Hotel New Hampshire.
>
> I'm the author of a mailing list manager. The very roughly equivalent
> software on Unix is called Majordomo, so I called mine Major Major.

Can we hope for the revised Major —— de Coverley version?

--
Sam Plusnet

interests / alt.usage.english / Tsunami Warning