From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
Subject: Re: Looking For A Word :-) --------- (Deadpan (surrealist) callous
cynicism)
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 01:02:09 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 1 May 2024 08:02 UTC

On 5/1/2024 12:57 AM, HenHanna wrote:
> On 4/19/2024 4:38 PM, Kyonshi wrote:

>>> That's not an existing word.
>>
>> now it is, I have seen it used before. (viz you just quoted it)
>>

> deadpan  irony ?
>
> sarcasm ?

The closest term for the cynical humor you described (callous rhetoric
mocking someone's suffering) is gallows humor.

Gallows humor is characterized by humor that confronts serious or
frightening situations with irreverence. It's often used as a coping
mechanism to deal with or distance oneself from a difficult situation.

Here are some other terms that might be relevant depending on the nuance:

Dark humor: Humor that finds humor in morbid subjects.

Black comedy: A genre of comedy that employs dark humor.

Sarcasm: The use of irony to mock or insult someone.

Callous: Showing or feeling a lack of human kindness.

Re: Looking For A Word :-) --------- (Deadpan (surrealist) callous cynicism)

<20240504135621.c31547df9baa9184574810b1@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18809&group=sci.lang#18809

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
cynicism)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 13:56:21 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 4 May 2024 10:56 UTC

HenHanna:

> The closest term for the cynical humor you described
> (callous rhetoric mocking someone's suffering) is gallows
> humor.
>
> Gallows humor is characterized by humor that confronts
> serious or frightening situations with irreverence. It's
> often used as a coping mechanism to deal with or distance
> oneself from a difficult situation.

LLM warning. I fear Hen Hanna decepting us by posting AI-
generated texts as he wrote them.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Looking For A Word :-) --------- (Deadpan (surrealist) callous cynicism)

<v18ii0$1vr2v$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18834&group=sci.lang#18834

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
cynicism)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 11:18:39 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 5 May 2024 18:18 UTC

On 5/4/2024 3:56 AM, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> HenHanna:
>
>> The closest term for the cynical humor you described
>> (callous rhetoric mocking someone's suffering) is gallows
>> humor.
>>
>> Gallows humor is characterized by humor that confronts
>> serious or frightening situations with irreverence. It's
>> often used as a coping mechanism to deal with or distance
>> oneself from a difficult situation.
>
> LLM warning. I fear Hen Hanna decepting us by posting AI-
> generated texts as he wrote them.

-------- (Maybe you can get English help from Navi)

i'm not trying to decept anyone...
... Remember the discussions arguing about
whether HenHanna is a Bot or not?

Re: Looking For A Word :-) --------- (Deadpan (surrealist) callous cynicism)

<20240506144020.a0e1d8048d021c687ad38d6b@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18841&group=sci.lang#18841

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage,rec.puzzles,sci.lang
cynicism)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 14:40:20 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 6 May 2024 11:40 UTC

HenHanna to Anton Shepelev:

> > LLM warning. I fear Hen Hanna decepting us by posting
> > AI-generated texts as he wrote them.
>
> i'm not trying to decept anyone...

The following fragment from your answer does not in the
least resemble your very specific punctuation, formatting,
(lack of) capitalisation, and style:

> The closest term for the cynical humor you described
> (callous rhetoric mocking someone's suffering) is gallows
> humor.
>
> Gallows humor is characterized by humor that confronts
> serious or frightening situations with irreverence. It's
> often used as a coping mechanism to deal with or distance
> oneself from a difficult situation.

It is an integral part of your post rather than an
explicitly attributed quotation. In my opinion, however,
you copied it from elsewhere than your own mind, such as an
encyclopedia or (more likely) the oupput of an LLM. Well,
did you?

> ... Remember the discussions arguing about whether
> HenHanna is a Bot or not?

I know you are a human.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

tech / sci.lang / Re: Looking For A Word :-) --------- (Deadpan (surrealist) callous cynicism)