From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:04:41 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:04 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>e3839d36a8eb35c58e
>>I assume a debian installer is what you nee, so that's what I'll provide.

> I use mostly debian on my servers, that's right. And I don't absolutely need an installer, but if you make one, I will take it :-).

Ok, I just installed this in a Debian vm and no problems. It's pretty simple and all runs in one directory with subdirs. It will run as whatever user you choose during the installation script, which defaults to www-data. You can select any user you wish, just make sure that the user can r/w the spool dir and rslight/user and rslight/userconfig.

I placed the latest version here:
http://rslight.i2p/getrslight/rslight-13032021.zip
This is newer than what is on github, so probably the best choice.

Unzip the file into a temp dir. I use /tmp/rslight each time. Then cd Rocksolid_Light to find the installer and run it as root. It will ask about web root stuff, just let it place some files there as rslight expects the files to exist. There is no need to make anything web accessible.

/debian-install.sh

This is the main installation script for Rocksolid Light
and must be run as root from the root directory of the extracted files

Select installation directories

Choose a path for your web root for rslight
Use default web root /var/www/html (y/n)? n

Enter web root for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/html

Choose a path for your spool files for rslight
Use default spool path /var/spool/rslight (y/n)? n

Enter spool path for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/spool

Choose a path for rslight configuration files
Use default config path /etc/rslight (y/n)? n

Enter config path for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/rslight

Choose username used by your web server
Use default username www-data (y/n)? y

You have selected the following options:

Web root: /usr/local/rslight/html
Spool dir: /usr/local/rslight/spool
Config dir: /usr/local/rslight/rslight
Web user: www-data

Are you sure you wish to install to these directories now
and change permissions as necessary to www-data?

Type 'YES' to create the directories and move files into place: YES

Creating directories
/usr/local/rslight/html...done
/usr/local/rslight/spool...done
/usr/local/rslight/rslight...done

Moving files into place...done

Setting permissions...done

Applying configuration...sed: can't read : No such file or directory
***there will be sed errors here but should be fine***
done

******** YOUR ADMIN PASSWORD IS: '(not important)'

Now edit in /usr/local/rslight/rslight/menu.conf (to disable forum features):

Change 'rocksolid:1:1' to 'rocksolid:0:1'

Next open /usr/local/rslight/rslight/rslight.inc.php and set your upstream server details, and anything else you wish to change. Use '1' or '' (blank) for on/off true/false. This file is really meant to be edited by the web interface, not manually, but it's easy to edit.

Once all that is done, add to crontab for root:
*/5 * * * * cd /usr/local/rslight/html/spoolnews ; bash -lc "php /usr/local/rslight/rslight/scripts/cron.php"

Adjust directories as necessary based on where you installed.

I just did all this, the exact same steps in the same order and it's working fine on Debian 10. This requires sqlite support so you probably need to add the package in Debian:
php7.x-sqlite3

Sqlite is serverless, so there is nothing more to do to take advantage of using the database.

I hope this goes smoothly. If not, it would have to be something simple so let me know :)

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

By: Anonymous on Fri, 12 Mar 2021

13Anonymous