From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:35:05 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:35 UTC

Covid: Cases hit new record as booster drive continues
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59688186?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 7:24 PM
Omicron could peak fast but subside sooner than past strains, England's chief medical officer says.
--------------------
We're not locking the country down, says Boris Johnson amid rising Covid cases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59686090?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:56 PM
It comes amid claims - denied by No 10 - that the government is sending out mixed messages on Covid rules.
--------------------
Queen cancels pre-Christmas family lunch as Omicron surges
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59683343?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 1:55 PM
A source says there was concern the event could put too many people's Christmas plans at risk.
--------------------
RAF Typhoon jet shoots down 'small hostile drone' in Syria
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59615769?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 7:16 PM
It is the first time the RAF has shot down enemy aircraft since the Falklands nearly 40 years ago.
--------------------
Boris and Carrie Johnson announce name of new daughter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59686354?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 1:45 PM
The PM and his wife welcomed Romy Iris Charlotte, their second child together, last week.
--------------------
Covid: UK hits record case numbers for second day and Wales considers Christmas measures
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59688644?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 5:42 PM
Five things you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic this Thursday evening.
--------------------
Covid: Wales awaits Christmas Covid rules decision
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-59682599?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 6:43 PM
Ministers have been discussing what to do in response to rise of Omicron variant in UK.
--------------------
Interest rates rise for first time in three years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59682521?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:28 PM
Policymakers increase rates from their historic low despite fears that Omicron could slow the economy.
--------------------
Covid: France to drastically restrict travel from UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59679861?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 2:45 PM
Non-residents will need compelling reasons to travel, as France tries to slow the spread of Omicron.
--------------------
Covid: Downing Street denies Boris Johnson lockdown party claim
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59690206?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 7:42 PM
About 20 staff drank alcohol and ate pizzas after a press conference in May 2020, newspapers say.
--------------------
Ghislaine Maxwell trial: Defence attorneys begin arguments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59688787?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 6:27 PM
A spokesperson for Ms Maxwell said on Wednesday she is "too fragile" to testify in her own defence.
--------------------
M&S accuses Aldi of copying Christmas gin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59681863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 11:44 AM
The retailers are locked in a legal spat for the second time this year - this time over bottles of gin.
--------------------
Adoption: Concern as fewer children in care find new families
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59676248?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 5:01 PM
Chloe adopted her son when he was four, but fewer children are finding a permanent home.
--------------------
Millipede with more legs than any known animal discovered in Australia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59687427?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 7:00 PM
The millipede, discovered in Australia, has more than 1,300 legs and is believed to live on fungi.
--------------------
Strictly finalists: 'We all represent something'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59675877?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 1:11 PM
The last three couples in this year's contest tell Newsbeat how they're feeling ahead of the final.
--------------------
TikToker Demi Skipper trades up from a hairpin to a house
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59683084?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:04 PM
Demi Skipper started with a hairpin and traded it up until she got a house.
--------------------
School apology after bleak Christmas lunch photo goes viral
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59681239?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:08 PM
The festive lunch at Steyning Grammar School was compared to prison food on social media.
--------------------
British or Irish reached remote Faroe Islands before Vikings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59683287?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:05 PM
People from Britain or Ireland may have reached the remote Faroe Islands before the Vikings.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on.... A Christmas party apology
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59667565?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:01 AM
The controversy over parties held last Christmas has continued - with the Conservatives' former candidate for London Mayor apologising for breaching the regulations.
--------------------
Kentucky tornado killed dad moments after phone call
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59672999?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:06 AM
Katie Fields lost her father in the Kentucky twisters - just after urging him on a call to flee.
--------------------
Fraser Syndrome: 'When Santa writes to me in Braille, I feel included'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59616054?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:03 AM
Christmas is Aadam's favourite time of year, but a visual impairment can make him feel left out.
--------------------
Man who dislikes whisky sells 4,000 miniatures for £30k
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59673351?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2021, 4:03 PM
Brian Marshall sells his collection of miniatures at auction but says the spirit is "horrible".
--------------------
Usain Bolt: Mario Kart helped me become Olympic champion
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59669585?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:01 AM
The sprinter talks to BBC Sounds podcast Press X to Continue about how video games helped him win gold.
--------------------
Christmas baubles world record broken by Swansea woman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59664138?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2021, 8:12 AM
Sylvia Pope, fondly known as Nanna Baubles, is the proud owner of 1,760 festive ornaments.
--------------------
NHS Tracker: How is the NHS in your area coping this winter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59549800?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 11:26 AM
Winter and Covid are putting the NHS under severe strain, find out what's happening in your area.
--------------------
Interest rates: What are they and why do they matter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 2:01 PM
The Bank Rate is one of the main tools used to keep the economy growing steadily.
--------------------
Covid: Businesses hit by new wave of sickness
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59674616?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 9:29 AM
Employers are feeling the impact of staff shortages as cases hit a new record.
--------------------
Omicron: What can we learn from South Africa's experience so far?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59667268?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:49 AM
We can learn some things from what's happening in South Africa, but there are also uncertainties.
--------------------
Court backlog: 'I don't believe my abuse case will get to court'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-59464418?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 5:49 AM
Alex says the wait for her alleged abuser's court trial leaves her "constantly thinking about it".
--------------------
The Lost Daughter: Olivia Colman on her 'searingly honest' film on motherhood
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59636673?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:29 AM
The actress talks about The Lost Daughter, which confronts the true challenges of motherhood.
--------------------
'If you eat here, you're dining with rats'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59624540?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:13 AM
Some New Yorkers are cooling on the craze for street-side restaurant sheds, due to noise and vermin.
--------------------
The teenagers and the nun trying to stop an Australian coal mine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59390798?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2021, 4:58 PM
Eight teenagers won a milestone environmental court case in Australia, but the result was appealed.
--------------------
David Fuller: The sisters killed in a car crash, abused after death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-59671657?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2021, 5:01 PM
A woman whose daughters were abused in a mortuary by David Fuller says "there is no more joy".
--------------------
The apps ready to deal with our Christmas food leftovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59651333?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:09 AM
The amount of food that's still edible but ends up being binned soars over the holiday period.
--------------------
Covid-19 outbreaks in sport: Several football and rugby games have been postponed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59675694?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 2:02 PM
Four Premier League matches in a week are called off because of new Covid-19 outbreaks, with rugby games at the weekend also postponed.
--------------------
On the front line as Afghan children battle malnutrition and measles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59637586?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2021, 1:54 PM
The BBC reports from a hospital in remote Ghor province which is struggling to cope.
--------------------
Four more Premier League games off because of Covid outbreaks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59683741?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 7:55 PM
Half of the weekend's Premier League fixtures are now off after four more games are postponed because of Covid-19 outbreaks.
--------------------
England & Wales get tough Nations League draws as Scotland face Republic of Ireland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59687769?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 8:28 PM
England will face Italy, who beat them in the Euro 2020 final, and Germany in the group stage of the 2022-23 Nations League, while Wales are drawn in the same group as Belgium and the Netherlands.
--------------------
'The Ashes are on the line only one day into the second Test'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59657067?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 2:57 PM
There have only been five days' cricket in the Ashes, but England already face being overwhelmed by Australia, writes Stephan Shemilt.
--------------------
Sports Personality 2021: Sarah Storey - meet the contender
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/sports-personality/59612697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2021, 8:34 AM
BBC Sport takes a look at Sports Personality of the Year contender Sarah Storey.
--------------------
Hamilton 'disillusioned' and will never get over Abu Dhabi GP
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59686315?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 2:01 PM
Lewis Hamilton is "disillusioned" and will never get over the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, says Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff.
--------------------
Kelly Catlin: A family's search for answers on links between concussion and suicide
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59639369?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 12:06 AM
Kelly Catlin was 23 when she took her own life. An Olympic cyclist, she suffered a bad crash in training. Her family believe it changed her.
--------------------
Covid-19 in the UK: How many coronavirus cases are there in my area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 6:05 PM
Explore the data on coronavirus in the UK and find out how many cases there are in your area.
--------------------
Omicron: What Covid tests do I need if I travel abroad?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 3:11 PM
France is tightening its rules for UK travellers over fears about soaring Covid cases.
--------------------
Covid: What are the social distancing rules this Christmas?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 10:41 AM
People are being urged to think carefully about attending social events in the run-up to Christmas.
--------------------
Covid symptoms: Is it a cold or coronavirus?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54145299?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 11:02 AM
Could a runny nose be a sign you have Omicron?
--------------------
Covid vaccine: How many people are vaccinated in the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 5:25 PM
A look at the progress made in vaccinating the country's population, as more than 51 million people have received at least one dose.
--------------------
Omicron: Who can have a booster jab and how do I book one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 10:48 AM
Booster campaigns are being brought forward across the UK, over fears about the Omicron variant.
--------------------
Covid passports: Where will I need a pass and how do I get one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55718553?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 3:56 PM
People in England now need to show their Covid status to get into nightclubs and many other venues.
--------------------
Omicron: Will schools be open in January?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51643556?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2021, 4:34 PM
A number of schools across the UK are preparing to switch to online learning after Christmas.
--------------------
Omicron: How do I get a lateral flow or PCR Covid test?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2021, 12:24 PM
The rules about testing after coming into contact with a positive Covid case now vary across the UK.
--------------------
Omicron: What are the Covid self-isolation rules now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2021, 9:14 AM
The rules around self-isolation have changed across the UK because of the Omicron variant.
--------------------
Is a million boosters a day achievable? And other questions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2021, 1:04 PM
The government has announced an ambitious plan to offer boosters to all adults in England.
--------------------
Omicron: Should I be working from home now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52567567?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2021, 3:27 PM
People across the UK are now being advised to work at home where possible.
--------------------
Star Hobson: The short life and death of a beloved toddler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-59599884?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2021, 11:15 AM
How did a toddler loved and adored by many end up dead after months of physical and emotional abuse?
--------------------
The ultra-violent cult that became a global mafia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59614595?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2021, 12:01 AM
A BBC investigation into Black Axe has unearthed new evidence of political infiltration, and a scamming and killing operation spanning the globe.
--------------------
Manchester United: Ralf Rangnick's art of 'club building' & new challenge at Old Trafford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59607646?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2021, 2:32 AM
Ralf Rangnick has made big changes at every club he's shaped. A different challenge awaits at Manchester United.
--------------------
Storm Arwen: Why power cuts left people unable to phone for help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-59564480?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2021, 1:10 AM
People with new digital phone lines were unable to call for help during the Storm Arwen power cuts.

--
Rocksolid Light Development Site

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o BBC News

By: rslight rss feeds on Thu, 16 Dec 2021

0rslight rss feeds