Subject: EFF - Deeplinks
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 07:07 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 07:07:12 +0000
View all headers
Facebook Says Apple is Too Powerful. They're Right.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/facebook-says-apple-too-powerful-theyre-right
June 16, 2022, 6:22 AM
In December, 2020, Apple did something insanely great. They changed how iOS, their mobile operating system, handled users’ privacy preferences, so that owners of iPhones and other iOS devices could indicate that they don’t want to be tracked by any of the apps on their devices. If they did, Apple would block those apps from harvesting users’ data.
This made Facebook really, really mad.
As far as Apple -and Facebook, and Google, and other large tech companies - are concerned, we’re entitl...
--------------------
Stop This California Bill that Bans Affordable Broadband Rules
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/stop-california-bill-bans-affordable-broadband-rules
June 15, 2022, 11:49 PM
Update, June 16: In response to pressure from advocates, A.B. 2749's bans on affordability have been removed from the bill. The California Senate Energy, Utilities, and Communications Committee will soon be the first to consider new and terrible amendments to Assemblymember Quirk-Silva’s A.B. 2749—which is backed by AT&amp;T and other telecommunications interests. The legislation would prohibit the state from implementing affordable broadband rules for broadband companies receiving state su...
--------------------
Victory! New York’s Vaccine Privacy Bill Heads to Governor’s Desk
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/victory-new-yorks-vaccine-privacy-bill-heads-governors-desk
June 14, 2022, 10:20 PM
In a win for medical privacy in the Empire State, the New York Legislature has passed a pivotal bill that protects people’s private immunity information like COVID-19 vaccine status from being used to track their movements and be used against them in unauthorized ways. The Electronic Frontier Foundation advocated for the bill, now headed to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul’s desk to be signed into law.
A. 7326/S. 6541 protects the confidentiality of medical immunity information by limiting what...
--------------------
Senator Declares Amazon Ring's Audio Surveillance Capabilities "Threaten the Public" https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/senator-declares-concern-about-amazon-rings-audio-surveillance-capabilities
June 14, 2022, 10:16 PM
Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey, a long-time critic of Amazon’s surveillance doorbell camera, Ring, has released a letter of concern and inquiry concerning the device’s audio capabilities. This is partially in response to a recent study conducted by Consumer Reports that found that once the device’s motion sensor has been triggered, it can record conversation-level audio from up to 25-feet away. This has disturbing implications for people who walk, bike, or even drive by dozens of these ...
--------------------
EFF Urges Congress to Strengthen the American Data Privacy and Protection Act
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/eff-urges-congress-strengthen-american-data-privacy-and-protection-act
June 14, 2022, 5:11 PM
EFF has long been in the business of searching for ways to guarantee digital privacy. That made essential that, ahead of a hearing titled “Protecting America's Consumers: Bipartisan Legislation to Strengthen Data Privacy and Security,” we send a letter to the House Energy and Commerce Committee on the draft text of a bill called “The American Data Privacy and Protection Act.”
American consumers need a strong federal privacy law. EFF appreciates the Committee highlighting the national con...
--------------------
How the Federal Government Buys Our Cell Phone Location Data
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/how-federal-government-buys-our-cell-phone-location-data
June 13, 2022, 10:45 PM
Over the past few years, data brokers and federal military, intelligence, and law enforcement agencies have formed a vast, secretive partnership to surveil the movements of millions of people. Many of the mobile apps on our cell phones track our movements with great precision and frequency. Data brokers harvest our location data from the app developers, and then sell it to these agencies. Once in government hands, the data is used by the military to spy on people overseas, by ICE to monitor peop...
--------------------
EFF’s Flagship Jewel v. NSA Dragnet Spying Case Rejected by the Supreme Court
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/effs-flagship-jewel-v-nsa-dragnet-spying-case-rejected-supreme-court
June 13, 2022, 7:43 PM
We all deserve the right to have a private conversation online. That's why EFF has taken on government surveillance for the past 30-plus years. One of our longest-running efforts has been to stop the National Security Agency’s (NSA) surveillance that sweeps up tens—if not hundreds—of millions of innocent people in its dragnet. Our work will continue.
But today the U.S. Supreme Court slammed the courthouse door on our flagship NSA surveillance lawsuit, Jewel v. NSA, effectively validating t...
--------------------
Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: Moving Forward
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/platform-liability-trends-around-globe-conclusions-and-recommendations-moving
June 8, 2022, 6:41 PM
This is the final installment in a four-part blog series surveying global intermediary liability laws.  You can read additional posts here:
Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: From Safe Harbors to Increased Responsibility
Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: Taxonomy and Tools of Intermediary Liability
Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: Recent Noteworthy Developments
As this blog series has sought to show, increased attention on issues like hate speech, online haras...
--------------------
Mandatory Student Spyware Is Creating a Perfect Storm of Human Rights Abuses
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/mandatory-student-spyware-creating-perfect-storm-human-rights-abuses
June 8, 2022, 5:49 PM
Spyware apps were foisted on students at the height of the Covid-19 lockdowns. Today, long after most students have returned to in-person learning, those apps are still proliferating, and enabling an ever-expanding range of human rights abuses. In a recent Center for Democracy and Technology report, 81 percent of teachers said their schools use some form of this "student monitoring" spyware. Yet many of the spyware companies supplying these apps seem neither prepared nor concerned about the ha...
--------------------
The EU's New Message-Scanning Regulation Must Be Stopped https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/eus-new-message-scanning-regulation-must-be-stopped
June 8, 2022, 3:04 PM
The executive body of the European Union is pushing forward with a proposal that will endanger privacy and security for us all.  When this proposal was made public by the EU Commission last month, we said it was a terrible idea. Today, we’re joining together with more than 70 organizations in Europe and around the world to explain how dangerous this proposed law will be.
The Commission’s proposal would compel a broad range of technology companies to scan and analyze their users’ message...
--------------------
Your Resistance Pauses Axon’s Dangerous Drone Tasers
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/your-resistance-pauses-axons-dangerous-drone-tasers
June 7, 2022, 9:48 PM
After recent horrific mass shootings, police vendor Axon announced plans to develop a supposed solution: a remotely controlled drone armed with a taser. In response to this announcement, and in light of objections from Axon’s Ethics Board, EFF called on those concerned to voice their criticism and ask tough questions at the Axon CEO’s Reddit AMA about the project. Now, Axon has halted the project and a majority of its Ethics Board has resigned. You can read the entire AMA with Axon’s CEO ...
When DRM Comes For Your Wheelchair
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/when-drm-comes-your-wheelchair
June 7, 2022, 4:46 PM
Why EFF Supports Colorado’s Right to Repair Wheelchairs Law
Wheelchairs Break
Three million Americans rely on wheelchairs, which makes wheelchairs a key driver of the $50 billion Durable Medical Equipment industry. Many people depend on wheelchairs to help with the basic necessities of life: getting around the house, going to work, shopping, and spending time with families. This is especially true of powered wheelchairs, which integrate sophisticated computers that allow wheelchairs to respond...

Click here to read the complete article