Subject: Dropbox service on i2p
From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:30 UTC
From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:30:44+0000

http://dropbox.i2p

Posted on def4

Subject: Re: Dropbox service on i2p
From: 37274427
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:36 UTC
From: 37274...@anon.com (37274427)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:36:45+0000

http://dropbox.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=AIHFAcVRliHl7~SdE1F8zuwTSErFrle209AlSeAIwCKmq2rGqaAsl~~w~P0S8Q19aaZ20NIZAIFfY7duH6TT7rC1ergtoIElHtjZo4hYc5lwJsq9HMCqpRz6RDxHb9Ba3vQAMrXm7vhrwoKUYk9IP6j6~FT8IAZ8KJzL56x~K5R66QVB9-KfNNSQdbD5oievtPC8BQCIRRm6chQ2Gi8zU0EuV8pyXv1d-YSrrJHp2wYBU--1HimCrPGNPZGMFar8kOJ8tOSinKjpXut~B1gn-eJ1hoaryF7nz36woYbTd2wrxFOo8i2A8gQkxvXp1NJk7O5NAeUy5s1fjkC02KWkcyIMWanfR-XJSe0FG0GsY~0yrm0DiRqiT5kfWJGOfCKfl9AP~2nqCwRNrXUq25qyZ4tfzwNuGtlC2NVALrU7M53jJKBY4jcboAP9b2tUJkCdjOcrndbReCXIyzwyw5Vohn6R7gboZp7z5Dz45WF3OMryrKfcsLv1-RDSxK8JSQ4gBQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d

Posted on def4

From: John Doe
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:36 UTC
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:36:05 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="41370"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
View all headers
On 2019-02-15 21:30, you wrote:

http://dropbox.i2p

Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:41 UTC
From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:41:57 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="17241"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
View all headers
Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.

to achieve what exactly ?-- Posted on def2

From: John Doe
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:34 UTC
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:34:33 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="53002"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
View all headers
On 2019-02-16 09:41, you wrote:

Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.

to achieve what exactly ?-- Posted on def2

Console browser does not display images.

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:03 UTC
From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:03:21+0000

Console browser does not display images.

oh, ok. thanks for the feedback. in this case i will have to hack some extra code...question is how to keep the bots out ?
i guess one would have to collect questions and answers that a human can answer better than a bot (not talking about ai here, mind you).
or work with ascii art. i think i like that idea better...
maybe something with roman numerals...
i have to think about that for a spell. but i will take it on the to do list.

where are you posting from, btw ? i see no server signature under your messages ?

From: AnonUser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:24 UTC
From: AnonU...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:24:42 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="28848"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
View all headers
trw wrote:

where are you posting from, btw ? i see no server signature under your
messages ?

they not using a node just nntp connection.

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:37 UTC
From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:37:06+0000

they not using a node just nntp connection.

ah, ok. yes, it is the frontend that adds the signature, not the news server. so if you just post with a reader, you will not have any.

to come back to the subject of text captchas, i think i will go with randomly generated text pieces, and let the user pick out every second or third character or something like that. to collect enough questions and answers seems like hard work, and ascii art might be distorted on the clients side.

From: John Doe
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:41 UTC
From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:41:03 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="58364"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
View all headers
On 2019-02-16 15:03, you wrote:

Console browser does not display images.

oh, ok. thanks for the feedback. in this case i will have to hack some extra
code...question is how to keep the bots out ?
i guess one would have to collect questions and answers that a human can
answer better than a bot (not talking about ai here, mind you).
or work with ascii art. i think i like that idea better...
ascii art - good idea.

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:43 UTC
From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:43:30+0000

ascii art - good idea.

yeah, it is charming, but i'm afraid not very robust: depending on the client it is likely to be distorted in some way and create frustration.
i have put a captcha text as an alt text to the image now. Posted on def4

From: 382472387
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:56 UTC
From: 382472...@anon.com (382472387)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:56:55+0000

i have put a captcha text as an alt text to the image now.

let me know if that works for you.

Posted on def4

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:12 UTC
From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:12:56 -0400
View all headers
check out a similar service, with a lot more features (in fact, it is based on the code of dropbox, but not compatible
anymore):

http://boxs.i2p
http://owm3fy2t5vwbxowk5gsshihkwjfknqq7y4ylbeyhvzta7r3ybrpq.b32.i2p/
http://boxs.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=btgtA~3zYWhhynEfFjLQTJvI7ICO40ze-z97BwBkC-igTPLIzbotH7rPc-BTxh8AHFQBpagEswqIF678kSue0-pgQq8BIjsmbfaWwuI3DFEHgoO7OoJW8ruO5xSsFdTSSF-KiksJNMPUEU8SZ0Ue0nwxm7NsBzbgzXPOZYMad3S6fC4b1oxFpb3MZ6oMBMsmm8t7hJ3duRgNtL2CvlDdkSLDnj3aMO2~uhc1cy7q9ko8JKR3dHxCtgM-qQF~TllO2b9ad9bLzb1mELipTqVcg3rPUmZ3lHQ1Ri9Ka3xUvb6mbS556pKKCemFsfK2dSRb701K~SsKf1f9NB56EjiL7AmqrarCEytIXbgfUtSvLzhnCr-Cc1LT68yVFl3BQjqX6VGSx1IVelnkkfUzQSb0-gpR6Vj-LxMvmuITAXH8LJiwNddwl7md6-z-DZjLDEyV3Xnw7OX8RbR7QCSkfCZe0A726NdnWeuwEGISwPs6a2sRkMgES5B90czNkAnkGzL0BQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d

http://ana5icnp3au4qy5i.onion/

it is still in development, but already usable.

Posted on: def3.i2p

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46 UTC
From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46:36+0000

Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.

is that like nodejs ? it is both server side java script, if i understand well.

Do we write an interface script? Something along the lines of pullnews and do all the work without any plugins, just run the script? This requires specific code for every variation of database layouts of web interface software.

I am not sure to understand the exact difference between a script and a plugin.
To start with the language, I would use php for that, because we have an existing codebase (ff and rslight), and almost all forum software is in php, so it should be easy to add our stuff if we use the same language.
Any implementation needs to be specific to the forum software, but I have the hope that the adaption to any given forum software is just a matter of a few minutes.

Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db and to nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does.

I think this is the easiest. Any forum has a line in the code where the message is written to the db. Right after this, we just insert a call to our function (to write to the news server), which we need to feed the correct parameters of course.

Then to work the other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles from the nntp server (fudforum uses nntp.php) Looking at nntp.php (ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course written specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and config files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other software, but still might be a good basis to start from.

Either we start with ff, or with rslight (it does the same thing, right ?)

Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling articles from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then posting them. At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting, and a script for pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to be a reasonable way to do it.

Okay, so you mean the difference between a plugin and a script is that the plugin is called from the forum code, while the script is just started and runs independently ?

rslight already contains the code to produce nntp messages, which we can of course modify as needed. I would like to take some time to dissect nntp.php and see how simple I can bring it down (removing dependencies on ff, etc.). Then try to get it working just writing a plain text file. Once that works, we try to write directly to a db. What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config, then taking the variables containing post info and structuring into a var for nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.

If we use rpost, we need to work on the same machine again. It would be neat to have a solution that works over the network as well (a small client), to lower the bar for federation as much as possible. I guess the installation of a news server would scare off many newbies.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:21 UTC
From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:21:43 -0700
View all headers
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46:36+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.

is that like nodejs ? it is both server side java script, if i
understand well.

Exactly. Server side javascript.

Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db
and to nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does.

I think this is the easiest. Any forum has a line in the code where
the message is written to the db. Right after this, we just insert a
call to our function (to write to the news server), which we need to
feed the correct parameters of course.

I agree completely.

Then to work the other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles
from the nntp server (fudforum uses nntp.php) Looking at nntp.php
(ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course written
specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and config
files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other
software, but still might be a good basis to start from.

Either we start with ff, or with rslight (it does the same thing,
right ?)

I believe so. Maybe best to start with rslight and just change how it
"saves" the articles. I can work on a new function to simply write each
article "part" in an array to make it easy to then write to different
db formats.

Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling
articles from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then
posting them. At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting,
and a script for pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to
be a reasonable way to do it.

Okay, so you mean the difference between a plugin and a script is
that the plugin is called from the forum code, while the script is
just started and runs independently ?

Exactly. I still think this is the best or easiest way.

For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config,
then taking the variables containing post info and structuring into
a var for nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.

If we use rpost, we need to work on the same machine again. It would
be neat to have a solution that works over the network as well (a
small client), to lower the bar for federation as much as possible. I
guess the installation of a news server would scare off many newbies.

rpost can write to a remote server. This is how I'm making my
encryption test messages, I'm sending them from my desktop with no inn
server, to rocksolid2 using rpost.