Subject: EFF - Deeplinks
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:57 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:57:56 +0000
View all headers
New York: Tell Your Assemblymembers to Pass This Landmark Repair Bill
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/06/new-york-tell-your-assemblymembers-pass-landmark-repair-bill
June 1, 2022, 9:29 PM
New York’s legislature has the chance to make history and stand up for users’ rights by passing the Digital Fair Repair Act. Assemblymember Patricia Fahy’s bill, A7006-B, would require companies to give people access to what they need to fix their stuff by selling spare parts and special tools at fair and reasonable terms. It would also provide all customers and third-party repair technicians access to repair information, software, and give them the ability to apply firmware patches.
Take ...
--------------------
Hearing Wednesday: EFF Testifies Against SFPD for Violating Transparency Laws
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/hearing-wednesday-eff-testifies-against-sfpd-violating-transparency-laws
June 1, 2022, 3:19 PM
Police Department Withheld Documents About Use of Face RecognitionSAN FRANCISCO – On Wednesday, June 1, at 5 p.m. PT, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) will testify against the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) at the city’s Sunshine Ordinance Task Force meeting. EFF filed a complaint against the SFPD for withholding records about a controversial investigation involving the use of facial recognition.
In September 2020, SFPD arrested a man who was suspected of illegally dischargin...
--------------------
Community Activists Reach Settlement With Marin County Sheriff for Unlawfully Sharing Drivers’ Locations with Out-Of-State and Federal Agencies
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/community-activists-reach-settlement-marin-county-sheriff-unlawfully-sharing-drivers
June 1, 2022, 2:57 PM
Activists and Civil Rights Advocates Say Sheriff’s Sharing Practices Threatened Safety of Marginalized Groups SAN FRANCISCO—Community activists in Northern California today announced a settlement in their lawsuit against the County of Marin and Marin County Sheriff Robert Doyle, whose office illegally made the license plate and location information of local drivers, captured by a network of surveillance cameras, available to hundreds of federal and out-of-state agencies, including Immigratio...
--------------------
Podcast Episode: Wordle and the Web We Need
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/podcast-episode-wordle-and-web-we-need
May 31, 2022, 7:31 AM
Where is the internet we were promised? It feels like we’re dominated by megalithic, siloed platforms where users have little or no say over how their data is used and little recourse if they disagree, where direct interaction with users is seen as a bug to be fixed, and where art and creativity are just “content generation.”
But take a peek beyond those platforms and you can still find a thriving internet of millions who are empowered to control their own technology, art, and lives. Anil ...
--------------------
Massachusetts' Highest Court Upholds Cell Tower Dump Warrant
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/massachusetts-highest-court-upholds-cell-tower-dump-warrant
May 27, 2022, 8:42 PM
This blog post was drafted with help from former EFF Legal Intern Emma Hagemann.
Massachusetts’ highest court has upheld the collection of mass cell tower data, despite recognizing that this data not only provides investigators with “highly personal and private” information but also has the potential to reveal “the locations, identities, and associations of tens of thousands of individuals.”
The case is Commonwealth v. Perry, and in it the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) add...
--------------------
Patent Troll Uses Ridiculous "People Finder" Patent to Sue Small Dating Companies https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/patent-troll-uses-ridiculous-people-finder-patent-sue-small-dating-companies
May 27, 2022, 5:02 PM
Finding people near you with shared interests, and talking to them, has a very long history in human culture. We’re social animals. We need to find other people close to us to work together with, play games with, and build relationships and families with. Modern online social networks are built on top of those basic human needs.
The technologies we humans use to do these things are ever-changing, but the basic concepts aren’t. Software that promotes new types of social networking is a terr...
--------------------
11th Circuit's Ruling to Uphold Injunction Against Florida’s Social Media Law is a Win Amid a Growing Pack of Bad Online Speech Bills
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/11th-circuits-ruling-uphold-injunction-against-floridas-social-media-law-win-amid
May 26, 2022, 5:00 PM
There’s a lot to like in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal’s ruling that much of Florida’s social media law—the parts which would prohibit internet platforms from removing or moderating any speech by or about political candidates or by “journalistic enterprises”—likely violate the First Amendment and should remain on hold. The decision is a win for free speech that stands in stark contrast with a 5th Circuit Court of Appeals May 12 ruling allowing a similar, constitutionally questio...
--------------------
California Bill Would Make New Broadband Networks More Expensive https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/california-bill-would-make-new-broadband-networks-more-expensive
May 26, 2022, 4:57 PM
The state of California is primed to bring 21st-century fiber access at affordable rates to every Californian. Last year’s unanimous passage of S.B. 156, a historic multi-billion investment in broadband, means every California community has the resources available to chart a long-term course toward building fiber networks. The Department of Commerce’s recent National Telecommunications Information Administration (NTIA) proposal to allocate $48 billion from the bipartisan infrastructure bill ...
--------------------
Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: Taxonomy and Tools of Intermediary Liability
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/platform-liability-trends-around-globe-taxonomy-and-tools-intermediary-liability
May 25, 2022, 4:40 PM
This is the second installment in a four-part blog series surveying global intermediary liability laws. You can read additional posts here: Platform Liability Trends Around the Globe: From Safe Harbors to Increased ResponsibilityPlatform Liability Trends Around the Globe: Recent Noteworthy DevelopmentsThe web of global intermediary liability laws has grown increasingly vast and complex as policymakers around the world move to adopt stricter legal frameworks for platform regulation. To help det...
--------------------
Podcast Episode: Securing the Vote
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/podcast-episode-securing-vote
May 24, 2022, 8:12 AM
U.S. democracy is at an inflection point, and how we administer and verify our elections is more important than ever. From hanging chads to glitchy touchscreens to partisan disinformation, too many Americans worry that their votes won’t count and that election results aren’t trustworthy. It’s crucial that citizens have well-justified confidence in this pillar of our republic.
Technology can provide answers - but that doesn’t mean moving elections online. As president and CEO of the nonpa...
Data Brokers and True the Vote are the Real Villains of "2000 Mules" Movie
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/data-brokers-and-true-vote-are-villains-dinesh-dsouzas-latest-movie
May 23, 2022, 7:53 PM
2000 Mules is a movie which claims to expose election fraud with phone app location data. While these claims have already been thoroughly debunked, the movie also deserves condemnation for performing wildly invasive research on thousands of people’s location data without their consent or even knowledge. It is a reminder of our need to stop the industry of shady data brokers that enabled this massive privacy invasion.
In its attempt to demonstrate widespread fraud in the 2020 presidential elect...
EFF to Court: California Law Does Not Bar Content Moderation on Social Media
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/05/eff-court-california-law-does-not-bar-content-moderation-social-media

Click here to read the complete article