Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 06:56 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 06:56:53 +0000
View all headers
Russ Allbery: Review: The Seeress of Kell
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-345-37759-1.html
June 1, 2022, 4:53 AM
Review: The Seeress of Kell, by David Eddings
      Series:
    The Malloreon #5
        Publisher:
    Del Rey
        Copyright:
    May 1991
        Printing:
    May 1992
        ISBN:
    0-345-37759-1
        Format:
    Mass market
        Pages:
    374
  The Seeress of Kell is the conclusion of the five-book Malloreon
series and a direct sequel to Sorceress of
Darshiva.  You do not want to begin the series here (or, to be honest,
at all).
We have finally finished th...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities May 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/06/01/floss-activities/
May 31, 2022, 11:46 PM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
libpst:
fix
file handle leak,
missing printf conversion
gensim:
cleanup
MANIFEST,
cython language_level,
obsolete references
duck:
indicator phrases
(1
2),
typos
Debian release website:
link archive criteria
Debian puppet:
typo
Debian BTS usertags:
moved default-java18 to debian-java,
moved riscv64 to debian-riscv
Debian website:
use contact page in footer
Debian wiki pages:
Accessibility/...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links May 2022
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/05/31/links-may-2022/
May 31, 2022, 12:26 PM
dontkillmyapp.com is a web site about Android phone vendors who make their phones kill your apps when you don’t want them to [1]. One of the many reasons why Pine and Purism offer the promise of better phones.
This blog post about the Librem 5 camera is interesting [2]. Currently the Librem 5 camera isn’t very usable for me as I just want to point and shoot, but it apparently works well for experts. Taking RAW photos is a good feature that I’d like to have in all my camera phones.
The Russ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Maskerade
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-227552-6.html
May 31, 2022, 2:47 AM
Review: Maskerade, by Terry Pratchett
      Series:
    Discworld #18
        Publisher:
    Harper
        Copyright:
    1995
        Printing:
    February 2014
        ISBN:
    0-06-227552-6
        Format:
    Mass market
        Pages:
    360
  Maskerade is the 18th book of the Discworld series, but you
probably could start here.  You'd miss the introduction of Granny
Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, which might be a bit confusing, but I suspect
you could pick it up as you wen...
--------------------
Daniel Lange: Work-around for randomly dropping WiFi connections on ChromeOS
https://daniel-lange.com/archives/174-Work-around-for-randomly-dropping-WiFi-connections-on-ChromeOS.html
May 30, 2022, 7:25 PM
The company got me a Chromebook for times when I want to ignore email and not get dragged into code reviews but still be available on IRC and chat. Nifty devices at great price points. I really like them.
These things are meant to be very consumer-style end-user devices. You log in with your Google account and everything works. Until it doesn't.
Just setting it up caused the first issue:
I was always thrown back to a black screen and then another login-screen despite having successfully log...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Debian welcomes its new Outreachy interns
https://bits.debian.org/2022/05/welcome-outreachy-interns-2022.html
May 30, 2022, 10:00 AM
Debian continues participating in Outreachy, and we're excited to announce that
Debian has selected two interns for the Outreachy May 2022 - August 2022 round.
Israel Galadima and Michael Ikwuegbu
will work on
Improve yarn package manager integration with Debian,
mentored by Akshay S Dinesh and Pirate Praveen.
Congratulations and welcome to Israel Galadima and Michael Ikwuegbu!
From the official website: Outreachy provides
three-month internships for people from groups traditionally underrepres...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: On to the next journey
https://gwolf.org/2022/05/on-to-the-next-journey.html
May 30, 2022, 3:46 AM
Last Wednesday my father, Kurt Bernardo Wolf Bogner, took the steps
towards his next journey, the last that would start in this life. I
cannot put words to this… so just sharing this with the world will
have to suffice. Goodbye to my teacher, my friend, the person I have
always looked up to.
Some of his friends were able to put in words more than what I can
come up with. If you can read Spanish, you can read the eulogy from
the Science Academy of
Morelos.
His last project, enjoyable by anybo...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Steles of the Sky
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-7653-2756-2.html
May 30, 2022, 3:06 AM
Review: Steles of the Sky, by Elizabeth Bear
      Series:
    Eternal Sky #3
        Publisher:
    Tor
        Copyright:
    April 2014
        ISBN:
    0-7653-2756-2
        Format:
    Hardcover
        Pages:
    429
  Steles of the Sky is the third book of the Eternal Sky trilogy and
a direct sequel to Shattered Pillars.
You should not start here, and ideally you should read all three books
close together.  They form a single story, and Elizabeth Bear is somewhat
notoriou...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Fast, Ordered Unixy Queues over NNCP and Syncthing with Filespooler
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10368-fast-ordered-unixy-queues-over-nncp-and-syncthing-with-filespooler
May 29, 2022, 10:39 PM
It seems that lately I’ve written several shell implementations of a simple queue that enforces ordered execution of jobs that may arrive out of order.  After writing this for the nth time in bash, I decided it was time to do it properly.  But first, a word on the why of it all.
Why did I bother?
My needs arose primarily from handling Backups over Asynchronous Communication methods – in this case, NNCP.  When backups contain incrementals that are unpacked on the destination, they must be app...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Kleptopia
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-323613-3.html
May 29, 2022, 2:11 AM
Review: Kleptopia, by Tom Burgis
      Publisher:
    Harper
        Copyright:
    2020
        Printing:
    September 2021
        ISBN:
    0-06-323613-3
        Format:
    Kindle
        Pages:
    340
  Kleptopia is a nonfiction chronicle of international financial
corruption and money laundering told via a focus on the former Soviet
republic of Kazakhstan.  The primary characters are a British banker named
Nigel Wilkins (at the start of the story, the head of compliance i...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Speeding up Samba AD
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-05-28-20-14_speeding_up_samba_ad.html
May 28, 2022, 7:14 PM
One Weird Trick(TM) for speeding up a slow Samba Active Directory domain
controller is seemingly to leave and rejoin the domain. (If you don't have
another domain controller, you'll need to join one in temporarily.)
Seemingly, not only can you switch to LMDB
(which has two fsyncs instead of eight on commit—which matters a lot,
especially on non-SSDs, as the Kerberos authentication path has a blocking
write to update account statistics), but you also get to regenerate the
database, giving you t...
kpcyrd: auth-tarball-from-git: Verifying tarballs with signed git tags
https://vulns.xyz/2022/05/auth-tarball-from-git/
May 28, 2022, 12:00 AM
I noticed there’s a common anti-pattern in some PKGBUILDs, the short scripts that are used to build Arch Linux packages. Specifically we’re looking at the part that references the source code used when building a package:

Click here to read the complete article