Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:55 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:55:32 +0000
View all headers
Bits from Debian: Debian welcomes the 2022 GSOC interns
https://bits.debian.org/2022/05/welcome-gsoc2022-interns.html
May 24, 2022, 11:15 AM
We are very excited to announce that Debian has selected three interns to work under mentorship on a variety of
projects with us during the
Google Summer of Code.
Here are the list of the projects, interns, and details of the tasks to be performed.
Project: Android SDK Tools in Debian
Interns: Nkwuda Sunday Cletus and Raman Sarda
The deliverables of this project will mostly be finished packages submitted to Debian sid, both for new packages and updated packages. Whenever possible, we shoul...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Toolforge Jobs Framework
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/05/23/wmcs-toolforge-jobs-framework.html
May 23, 2022, 7:19 PM
This post was originally published in the Wikimedia Tech blog, authored by Arturo Borrero Gonzalez.
This post continues the discussion of Toolforge updates as described in a previous post. Every non-trivial task performed in Toolforge (like
executing a script or running a bot) should be dispatched to a job scheduling backend, which ensures that the job is run in a suitable place with sufficient resources.
Jobs can be scheduled synchronously or asynchronously, continuously, or simply executed...
--------------------
Ulrike Uhlig: How do kids conceive the internet? - part 3
https://curlybracket.net/2022/05/23/internet-kids-pt3.html
May 22, 2022, 10:00 PM
I received some feedback on the first part of interviews about the
internet with children that I’d like to share publicly here. Thank you!
Your thoughts and experiences are important to me!
In the first interview round there was this French girl.
  Asked what she would change if she could, the 9 year old girl
advocated for a global usage limit of the internet in order to protect
the human brain. Also, she said, her parents spend way too much time
on their phones and people should rather spe...
--------------------
Sergio Talens-Oliag: New Blog
https://blogops.mixinet.net/posts/new_blog/
May 22, 2022, 10:00 PM
Welcome to my new Blog for Technical Stuff.
For a long time I was planning to start publishing technical articles again but
to do it I wanted to replace my old blog
based on ikiwiki by something more modern.
I’ve used Jekyll with GitLab
Pages to build the Intranet of
the ITI and to generate internal documentation sites on
Agile Content, but, as happened with ikiwiki,
I felt that things were kind of slow and not as easy to maintain as I would
like.
So on Kyso (the Company I work for right now) ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: On a Sunbeam
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/on-a-sunbeam.html
May 22, 2022, 5:06 AM
Review: On a Sunbeam, by Tillie Walden
      Publisher:
    Tillie Walden
        Copyright:
    2016-2017
        Format:
    Online graphic novel
        Pages:
    544
  On a Sunbeam is a web comic that was published in installments
between Fall 2016 and Spring 2017, and then later published in dead tree
form.  I read the on-line version, which is still available for free from
its web site.  It was nominated for an
Eisner Award and won a ton of other awards, including the Los Ange...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #37: Introducing r2u with 2 x 19k CRAN binaries for Ubuntu 22.04 and 20.04
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/05/21#037_introducing_r2u_with_38k_deb_binaries
May 21, 2022, 3:09 PM
One month ago I started work on a new side project which is now up and running, and deserving on an introductory blog post: r2u. It was announced in two earlier tweets (first, second) which contained the two (wicked) demos below also found at the documentation site.
So what is this about? It brings full and complete CRAN installability to Ubuntu LTS, both the ‘focal’ release 20.04 and the recent ‘jammy’ release 22.04. It is unique in resolving all R and CRAN packages with the system pack...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Faster tar
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/play/Faster_tar/
May 20, 2022, 12:53 PM
I have a new laptop. The new one is a Dell Latitude 5521, whereas the
old one was a Dell Latitude 5590.
As both the old and the new laptops are owned by the people who pay my
paycheck, I'm supposed to copy all my data off the old laptop and then
return it to the IT department.
A simple way of doing this (and what I'd usually use) is to just rsync
the home directory (and other relevant locations) to the new machine.
However, for various reasons I didn't want to do that this time around;
for one...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Introducing metalfinder
https://veronneau.org/introducing-metalfinder.html
May 20, 2022, 4:00 AM
After going to an incredible Arch Enemy / Behemoth / Napalm Death / Unto
Others concert a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to go to more
concerts.
I like music, and I really enjoy concerts. Sadly, I often miss great
performances because no one told me about it, or my local newspaper didn't cover
the event enough in advance for me to get tickets.
Some online services lets you sync your Spotify account to notify you when a
new concert is announced, but I don't use Spotify. As a music geek, I have...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 213 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-213-released/
May 20, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 213. This version includes the following changes:
* Don't mask differences in .zip/.jar central directory extra fields.
* Don't show a binary comparison of .zip/.jar files if we have at least
  one observed nested difference.
* Use assert_diff in test_zip over get_data and separate assert.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Ulrike Uhlig: How do kids conceive the internet? - part 2
https://curlybracket.net/2022/05/20/internet-kids-pt2.html
May 19, 2022, 10:00 PM
I promised a follow up to my post about interviews about how children conceptualize the internet.
Here it is. (Maybe not the last one!)
The internet, it’s that thing that acts up all the time, right?
As said in my first post, I abandoned the idea to interview children
younger than 9 years because it seems they are not necessarily aware
that they are using the internet. But it turns out that some do have
heard about the internet. My friend Anna, who has 9 younger siblings,
tried to win some ...
--------------------
Joerg Jaspert: Rust? Munin? munin-plugin…
https://blog.ganneff.de/2022/05/rust-munin-munin-plugin.html
May 19, 2022, 8:33 PM
My first Rust crate: munin-plugin
Sooo, some time ago I had to rewrite a munin  plugin from
Shell to Rust, due to the shell version going crazy after some runtime
and using up a CPU all for its own. Sure, it only did that on Systems
with Oracle Database installed, so that monster seems to be bad (who
would have guessed?), but somehow I had to fixup this plugin and
wasn’t allowed to drop that wannabe-database.
A while later I wrote a plugin to graph Fibre Channel Host data, and
then Network i...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: I do have a full face
https://gwolf.org/2022/05/i-do-have-a-full-face.html
May 18, 2022, 2:52 PM
I have been a bearded subject since I was 18, back in 1994. Yes,
during 1999-2000, I shaved for my military service, and I briefly tried the
goatee look in 2008… Few people nowadays can imagine my face without
a forest of hair.
But sometimes, life happens. And, unlike my good friend
Bdale, I didn’t get Linus to do the
honors… But, all in all, here I am:
Turns out, I have been suffering from quite bad skin infections for a
couple of years already. Last Friday, I checked in to the hospit...
Reproducible Builds: Supporter spotlight: Jan Nieuwenhuizen on Bootstrappable Builds, GNU Mes and GNU Guix
https://reproducible-builds.org/news/2022/05/18/jan-nieuwenhuizen-on-bootrappable-builds-gnu-mes-and-gnu-guix/
May 18, 2022, 10:00 AM
The Reproducible Builds project relies on several projects, supporters and sponsors for financial support, but they are also valued as ambassadors who spread the word about our project and the work that we do.

Click here to read the complete article