Subject: Tor Extension Problem
From: klinefeld
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 05:40 UTC
Attachments: unnamed (cannot open `./upload/extension' (no such file or directory))
From: klinef...@rslight.i2p (klinefeld)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 05:40:18 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
I've never seen this problem with any browser, so I posted on
some of the big clearnet forums.  I don't know why I did that.
Uncommon hardware and software problems are usually ignored
on these popular forums.

Any extension that adds a toolbar button to my Tor Browser has
a problem.  (See attached image.)  For example, the dialog box
for HTTPS Everywhere is almost completely blank.  Extensions
that don't add a toolbar button function normally.

I tried the usual Firefox fixes.  Running the browser in Safe Mode,
disabling hardware acceleration, default theme, etc.  Nothing I've
tried has worked.

I may be wrong, but I think the solution is that long list of
about:config preferences.

If you have the expertise, please help.

Attachments: unnamed (cannot open `./upload/extension' (no such file or directory))
Subject: Re: Tor Extension Problem
From: klinefeld
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 05:47 UTC
From: klinef...@rslight.i2p (klinefeld)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 05:47:06 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Here is a link to the attached image. It failed to upload when
I posted my message.

https://i.postimg.cc/Dy4gYRxG/Extension-Problem.jpg

From: AnonUser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:17 UTC
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-7um-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:17:00 +0000
To: klinefeld
  To: klinefeld
Any extension that adds a toolbar button to my Tor Browser has
a problem.  (See attached image.)  For example, the dialog box
for HTTPS Everywhere is almost completely blank.  Extensions
that don't add a toolbar button function normally.

The Tor Browser already has HTTPS Everywhere installed, maybe even a custom version of it without toolbar button, so adding it again would cause problems, even if not the UI bug you are experiencing.

I have added HTTPS Everywhere to my Tor Browser, even though it is already available and the button works normally. Now I have it twice in my extensions list.

The UI bug you have is likely platform specific, as I do not experience it and my Tor Browser looks a bit different. Maybe try to delete the entire Tor Browser folder and re-download it, it may be a profile issue if you were changing a lot of variables in the about:config. It is difficult to say without knowing if or what you modified and what other extensions you have installed.

PS: I would not recommend installing _any_ extensions in the Tor Browser unless you _really_ know what you are doing and what exactly the extension is doing in the background. Some extensions may compromise your anonymity.

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:22 UTC
From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:22:13 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="1571"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
View all headers
the tor browser is based on firefox, but contains a lot of hacks/mods/patches compared to the original one. like already said, additional extensions will make the tor browser less secure, and decrease your anonymity. this is especially true if you try to reinstall an already installed plugin. if you want to mess around with the tor browser, your best guess is to have a look at the sources imho.