Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:30 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:30:12 +0000
View all headers
Antoine Beaupré: NVMe/SSD disk failure
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-05-13-nvme-disk-failure/
May 13, 2022, 8:19 PM
Yesterday, my workstation (curie) was hung when I
came in the office. After a "skinny elephant", the box rebooted,
but it couldn't find the primary disk (in the BIOS). Instead, it
booted on the secondary HDD drive, still running an old Fedora 27
install which somehow survived to this day, possibly because ?BTRFS
is incomprehensible.
Somehow, I blindly accepted the Fedora prompt asking me to upgrade to
Fedora 28, not realizing that:
Fedora is now at release 36, not 28
major upgrades take about...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: BTRFS notes
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-05-13-brtfs-notes/
May 13, 2022, 8:04 PM
I'm not a fan of BTRFS. This page serves as a reminder of why,
but also a cheat sheet to figure out basic tasks in a BTRFS
environment because those are not obvious to me, even after
repeatedly having to deal with them.
Content warning: there might be mentions of ZFS.
Stability concerns
I'm worried about BTRFS stability, which has been historically
... changing. RAID-5 and RAID-6 are still marked unstable, for
example. It's kind of a lucky guess whether your current kernel will
behave properl...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: New Debian Developers and Maintainers (March and April 2022)
https://bits.debian.org/2022/05/new-developers-2022-04.html
May 13, 2022, 3:00 PM
The following contributors got their Debian Developer accounts in the last two months:
Henry-Nicolas Tourneur (hntourne)
Nick Black (dank)
The following contributors were added as Debian Maintainers in the last two months:
Jan Mojžíš
Philip Wyett
Thomas Ward
Fabio Fantoni
Mohammed Bilal
Guilherme de Paula Xavier Segundo
Congratulations!...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Toolforge GridEngine Debian 10 Buster migration
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/05/13/wmcs-toolforge-grid-debian-10.html
May 13, 2022, 9:42 AM
This post was originally published in the Wikimedia Tech blog, authored by Arturo Borrero Gonzalez.
In accordance with our operating system upgrade policy, we should migrate our servers to Debian Buster.
As discussed in the previous post, one of the most important and successful services provided by the Wikimedia Cloud Services team at
the Wikimedia Foundation is Toolforge. Toolforge is a platform that allows users and developers to run and use a variety of applications
with the ultimate goal ...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 212 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-212-released/
May 13, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 212. This version includes the following changes:
* Add support for extracting vmlinuz/vmlinux Linux kernel images.
  (Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#304)
* Some Python .pyc files report as "data", so support ".pyc" as a
  fallback extension.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Scalable Computing seminar
https://jmtd.net/log/scalable_seminar_2022/
May 12, 2022, 10:19 AM
Last week
I delivered a seminar for the research group I belong to,
Scalable Computing. This was a slightly-expanded version of the
presentation I gave at uksystems21. The most substantial change
is the addition of a fourth example to describe recent work on
optimising for a second non-functional requirement: Bandwidth.
scalable seminar 2022.pdf (PDF, 474K)...
--------------------
Rapha&#235;l Hertzog: Debian 9 soon out of (free) security support
https://raphaelhertzog.com/2022/05/11/debian-9-soon-out-of-free-security-support/
May 11, 2022, 1:13 PM
Organizations that are still running Debian 9 servers should be aware that the security support of the Debian LTS team will end on June 30th 2022.
If upgrading to a newer Debian release is not an option for them, then they should consider subscribing to Freexian’s Extended LTS to get security support for the packages that they are using on their servers.
It’s worth pointing out that we made some important changes to Freexian’s Extended LTS offering :
we are now willing to supp...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: Debian LTS work, April 2022
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/debian-lts-work-april-2022.html
May 10, 2022, 9:41 PM
In April I was assigned 16 hours of work by Freexian's Debian LTS
  initiative and carried over 8 hours from March. I worked 11 hours,
  and will carry over the remaining time to May.
  I spent most of my time triaging security issues for Linux, working
  out which of them were fixed upstream and which actually applied to
  the versions provided in Debian 9 "stretch". I also rebased the
  Linux 4.9 (linux) package on the latest stable update, but did not
  make an upload this month....
--------------------
Daniel Kahn Gillmor: 2022 Digital Rights Job Fair
https://dkg.fifthhorseman.net/blog/2022-digital-rights-job-fair.html
May 10, 2022, 8:39 PM
I'm lucky enough to work at the intersection between information communications technology and civil rights/civil liberties.
I get to combine technical interests and social/political interests.
I've talked with many folks over the years who are interested in doing similar work.
Some come from a technical background, and some from an activist background (and some from both).
Are you one of them?
Are you someone who works as an activist or in a technical field who wants to look into different ways...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Elon and Free Speech
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/05/10/elon-free-speech/
May 10, 2022, 11:53 AM
Elon Musk has made the news for spending billions to buy a share of Twitter for the alleged purpose of providing free speech. The problem with this claim is that having any company controlling a large portion of the world’s communication is inherently bad for free speech. The same applies for Facebook, but that’s not a hot news item at the moment.
If Elon wanted to provide free speech he would want to have decentralised messaging systems so that someone who breaks rules on one platform could...
--------------------
Melissa Wen: Multiple syncobjs support for V3D(V) (Part 2)
https://melissawen.github.io/blog/2022/05/10/multisync-p2
May 10, 2022, 9:00 AM
In the previous post, I described how we enable multiple syncobjs capabilities
in the V3D kernel driver.  Now I will tell you what was changed on the
userspace side, where we reworked the V3DV sync mechanisms to use Vulkan
multiple wait and signal semaphores directly.  This change represents greater
adherence to the Vulkan submission framework.
I was not used to Vulkan concepts and the V3DV driver. Fortunately, I counted
on the guidance of the Igalia’s Graphics team, mainly
Iago Toral (thanks...
--------------------
Melissa Wen: Multiple syncobjs support for V3D(V) (Part 1)
https://melissawen.github.io/blog/2022/05/10/multisync-p1
May 10, 2022, 8:00 AM
As you may already know, we at
Igalia have been working on
several improvements to the 3D rendering drivers of Broadcom Videocore GPU,
found in Raspberry Pi 4 devices. One of our recent works focused on improving
V3D(V) drivers adherence to Vulkan submission and synchronization framework. We
had to cross various layers from the Linux Graphics stack to add support for
multiple syncobjs to V3D(V), from the Linux/DRM kernel to the Vulkan driver. We
have delivered bug fixes, a generic gate to extend...
--------------------
Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in April 2022
https://utkarsh2102.com/posts/foss-in-april-22/
May 10, 2022, 5:41 AM
Here’s my (thirty-first) monthly but brief update about the activities I’ve done in the F/L/OSS world.
Debian
This was my 40th month of actively contributing to Debian.
I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas ‘19! o/
There’s a bunch of things I did this month but mostly non-technical, now that DC22 is around the corner. Here are the things I did:
Debian Uploads
Helped Andrius w/ FTBFS for php-text-captcha, reported via #977403.
I fixed the samed in Ubuntu a couple of...
Robert McQueen: Evolving a strategy for 2022 and beyond
https://ramcq.net/2022/05/09/evolving-a-strategy-for-2022-and-beyond/

Click here to read the complete article