Subject: If reality and wishes collide...
From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 20:22 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:22:03+0000

....often the wishes seems to win:

http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/2706170/researcher-requests-inappropriate-analysis-reporting-u-s-survey-consulting-biostatisticians

Just a little teaser here, you can read the rest on the original page:

Quote:

Results:

Of 522 consulting biostatisticians contacted, 390 provided sufficient responses: a completion rate of 74.7%. The 4 most frequently reported inappropriate requests rated as “most severe” by at least 20% of the respondents were, in order of frequency, removing or altering some data records to better support the research hypothesis; interpreting the statistical findings on the basis of expectation, not actual results; not reporting the presence of key missing data that might bias the results; and ignoring violations of assumptions that would change results from positive to negative. These requests were reported most often by younger biostatisticians.

Posted on def4.i2p

Subject: Re: If reality and wishes collide...
From: AnonUser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 00:08 UTC
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-987-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 00:08:38 +0000
To: anon
  To: anon
"These requests were reported most often by younger biostatisticians"

I think there's a mindset that's been going on for a while now. Young people of every generation think they're pretty damn smart (so did I), but more and more it seems some want to inflict their beliefs (that are based on not so many years of life) on the rest of us through legislation and deceptive science.

It seems that deceptive science is necessary to get things done. We know the final results, we just need the papers to back it up. Oh wait, that's not science.
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

From: AnonUser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 00:09 UTC
From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 00:09:17 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="13560"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
View all headers
Anybody can get the full text. I don't have an account.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic