Well, Jim, I'm not much of an actor either.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

SubjectAuthor
* Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew
+- Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAJL
+* Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderJeff Layman
|`- Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew
`* Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew
 +* Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew
 |`- Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew
 `* Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderTaf®
  `- Re: Android Usenet news newsreaderAndrew

1
Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0tm6m$46t$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51238&group=comp.mobile.android#51238

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android Usenet news newsreader
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 15:13:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kvOAShdUAyYvukycFxDI0SP1lgU= sha256:X95POh87noe+uxC8oOdKrm6wvhR9BIIKB3MuxGFy3M8=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 1 May 2024 15:13 UTC

Are there any other Android Usenet news newsreaders than these seven?

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmgapps.android.phonewspro
3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
5. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noasy.newsreader
7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=usenet.sinaapp.com

Some of those are no longer valid URLs but I'm just looking for the package
names of all known Android Usenet news newsreaders (whether they're bad or
worse) as once I know the package I can get the APK from mirrors such as
https://m.apkpure.com/groundhog-usenet-reader/com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
https://www.appbrain.com/app/noasy-reader/com.noasy.newsreader

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0tqfq$38pr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51240&group=comp.mobile.android#51240

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android Usenet news newsreader
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 16:26:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Wed, 1 May 2024 16:26 UTC

On 5/1/24 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
>Are there any other Android Usenet news newsreaders than these seven?
>
>1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
>2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmgapps.android.phonewspro
>3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
>4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
>5. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
>6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noasy.newsreader
>7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=usenet.sinaapp.com
>
>Some of those are no longer valid URLs but I'm just looking for the package
>names of all known Android Usenet news newsreaders (whether they're bad or
>worse) as once I know the package I can get the APK from mirrors such as
>https://m.apkpure.com/groundhog-usenet-reader/com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
>https://www.appbrain.com/app/noasy-reader/com.noasy.newsreader

Some comments on the readers above that I use/have used:

Piahhong's Newsgroup: It got/has a posting bug. The carriage returns are
gone. It still works but when you post you have to manually separate the
lines. A PITA.

Groundhog: It won't post after Android 9. The menu is gone. However it still
will read and is easier to use than PhoNews for reading. So I use it on my
Android devices for reading and when I want to post I switch over to
PhoNews.

PhoNews: I use it on my Chrome devices (like this Chromebook I'm now posting
with). For security reasons my Chrome devices don't allow sideloading so I
have to use what's in the Play Store. I bought this PhoNews Pro for 2 bucks
several years ago and it seems to do the job. I used to think it wouldn't
cross post but that may have been my error as I see that the Newsgroup line
above on this posting page can in fact be edited. It's not automatically
transferred from the reader page like my other newsreaders were. I'll have
to test it on the next crosspost I respond to. Sorry for the past slander
PhoNews (I think, time will tell)...

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0tv0g$39qi5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51241&group=comp.mobile.android#51241

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 18:43:44 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 1 May 2024 17:43 UTC

On 01/05/2024 16:13, Andrew wrote:
> Are there any other Android Usenet news newsreaders than these seven?
>
> 1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
> 2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmgapps.android.phonewspro
> 3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
> 4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
> 5. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
> 6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noasy.newsreader
> 7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=usenet.sinaapp.com
>
> Some of those are no longer valid URLs but I'm just looking for the package
> names of all known Android Usenet news newsreaders (whether they're bad or
> worse) as once I know the package I can get the APK from mirrors such as
> https://m.apkpure.com/groundhog-usenet-reader/com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
> https://www.appbrain.com/app/noasy-reader/com.noasy.newsreader

Have you considered using a browser to access Usenet, eg with
Newsgrouper (<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng>. You can try it out without
registering, although it will be read-only. This NG appears at
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/comp.mobile.android>, and if you scroll down
to the end you will see this thread.

There are other browser-interface Usenet apps available, such as novaBBS
at <https://www.novabbs.com/common/grouplist.php>.

--
Jeff

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0ubdt$9tn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51242&group=comp.mobile.android#51242

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.software.readers,it.tlc.cellulari.android
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 21:15:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mXUNifbUf54NdEYtJbNKpboPYcA= sha256:BOKBlG5oXOBso7aSHgcD7uztVXD6+KlhiQNQyY3KWqQ=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 1 May 2024 21:15 UTC

Andrew originally wrote:
>> Are there any other Android Usenet news newsreaders than these?
>>
>> 1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmgapps.android.phonewspro
>> 2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
>> 3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
>> 4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
>> 5. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noasy.newsreader
>> 6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=usenet.sinaapp.com
>>
>> Some of those are no longer valid URLs but I'm just looking for the package
>> names of all known Android Usenet news newsreaders (whether they're bad or
>> worse) as once I know the package I can get the APK from mirrors such as
>> https://m.apkpure.com/groundhog-usenet-reader/com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
>> https://www.appbrain.com/app/noasy-reader/com.noasy.newsreader

< WARNING >
Please scroll to the bottom for the latest Mod17 links, one of which
has an invalid decryption key so you can only use the Mod16 link for it!
</ WARNING >

Dave Royal wrote:
> See the thread 'Newsreader for Android' in ng 'news.software.readers'
> for mod.piaohong versions.

This one?
From: kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Newsreader for Android
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:44:54 +0100

Is there a usable Android newsreader?
I used to use Groundhog, but that one hasn't been maintained for a few
years (and the apk can be installed but doesn't play well with my
current Android phone).
I also have PhoNews, but not only is that one incredibly slow, it also
keeps forgetting I paid for the full version.

That post mentioned PiaoHong's NewsGroup Reader & Ken's Usenet Reader
both of which were already in the list but it also mentioned Ken's demo.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader>

And apparently in that thread you had kindly supplied a URL to a modded'
PiaHong newsreader credited to 'alfio' or 'P/ero' on the Italian newsgroup.
<https://mega.nz/file/aJpFRI4Z#UjkHkl90feawI1_EFOd4eEkautnQPWFSwmqW7NUW2jA>

Which apparently came from
<https://it.tlc.cellulari.android.narkive.com/ntEtNepA/modded-newsreader-apk-by-piaohong-download>

Name: 20240501_modded_PiaHong_Usenet_newsreader_signedNewsReader_mod_1.65.M10.apk
Size: 2238872 bytes (2186 KiB)
SHA256: A6079804589087EB98D5699AA577E4E6CFCE31B8682EA3154860801231175DAB

Google Translation: "Modded Newsreader.apk by PiaoHong - download?"
<https://it-tlc-cellulari-android-narkive-com.translate.goog/ntEtNepA/modded-newsreader-apk-by-piaohong-download?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp>

Later on you mention "Alfio has produced a new version M11 of his modded
version of the PiaiHong newsreader. This fixes bugs in M10. It's a new
app from Android's viewpoint so you should delete M10 or the original.
It doesn't work on Android 14. It's based on the 1.65 free version of
the PiaiHong Newsreader.
<https://it.tlc.cellulari.android.narkive.com/Q64EXrJy/piaohong-news-reader-mod-11>

Where this is the link to download the modified version M11.
<https://mega.nz/file/qVxDVB5R#9d4p7fay3KS20yD7mfIvHafUZFji3kEXy1W9B_Gtgrs>

Name: NewsReader_1.65.M11.apk
Size: 2237140 bytes (2184 KiB)
SHA256: 980F3489602A9E58D4F80F3AEA8AC4315880C17859DD425879F23214EF5E7282

Google Translation: "PiaoHong News Reader Mod 11"
<https://it-tlc-cellulari-android-narkive-com.translate.goog/Q64EXrJy/piaohong-news-reader-mod-11?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp>

There is a related post in that thread, which Google translated for us.

From: Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Newsreader for Android
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:45:50 +0100

I didn't feel like leaving Android 14 owners without my Mod.
so I worked hard and this is the result:
https://mega.nz/file/iVYSlRKD#kSeQuOLfmAqocp_6MkWWDxoE3MN1S17pwQ2WSRrss4M

this is the latest version released by PiaoHong, 2.02, in which
I made all the changes made in recent years to the previous one
1.65.
I don't think it's bug-free, try it and let me know.

Unfortunately, although the name of this mod is different from the original,
you can't install them together, you get this warning:
https://i.postimg.cc/05wPh4hm/Screenshot-2024-01-23-22-38-24-511-com-miui-packageinstaller.jpg
whatever Google means by "services", it complains that it sees it
same identifier in different applications.

if you update the M11 instead, there are no problems.

And then a quick followup by that same Italian poster.
From: Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:48:25 +0100

Ammammata explained on 01/24/2024:
> I don't think it's bug-free, try it and let me know

and you've already found one! :-)))
here's the fix:
https://mega.nz/file/3cpgyCiR#xtmcG09dvt3E0oqlk4awBz7VbrNUpfJ9Y1qXM4Jec0o
the previous link is no longer valid.

maybe further updates will follow

And the updates did follow.
From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:28:27 +0000 (GMT)

The latest version of mod.piaohong.M12 by 'alfio' (24-1-24 11.14)
is here:
<https://mega.nz/file/OEBjAK4A#-RfkwmqsrONXnL84PeiV74F1R8LHutjIeAAH8tnlFBQ>

The Italian thread about it is here:
<https://it.tlc.cellulari.android.narkive.com/8YZTRkpt/piaohong-newsreader-mod-12>

It fixes the quoting fault of the official app but, unlike the VIP
version, it has google ads.

Where this is the file that is located at that link above.
Name: ModNewsReader 2.02.M12.apk
Size: 3972199 bytes (3879 KiB)
SHA256: B0366F5E5ACC0CD70341EAD2E8524D76A4431973899203A44B8C01CE123EF27C

And this is the Google Translation of that thread.
<https://it-tlc-cellulari-android-narkive-com.translate.goog/8YZTRkpt/piaohong-newsreader-mod-12?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp>

PiaoHong Newsreader Mod 12 by alfio
I didn't feel like leaving Android 14 owners without my Mod.
so I worked hard and this is the result:
https://mega.nz/file/iVYSlRKD#kSeQuOLfmAqocp_6MkWWDxoE3MN1S17pwQ2WSRrss4M

it's the latest version released by PiaoHong, 2.02, in which I
made all the changes made in recent years to the previous 1.65.
I don't think it's bug-free, try it and let me know.

Unfortunately, although the name of this mod is different from the original,
they cannot be installed together, you get this warning:
https://it.tlc.cellulari.android.narkive.com/8YZTRkpt/piaohong-newsreader-mod-12:i.1.1.full

Where you then posted:
From: Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 18:22:47 +0000 (GMT)

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> Wrote in message:

Version M14
- displays x-posted groups and has (limited) ability to change
them when replying.
- creates a thread from a reply if it doesn't have the replied to
post (i.e threads that start Re:.xxxxxxxxx)

It's here:
<https://mega.nz/file/fFRE1Dob#-2zDfsB2XJvckN2ZZ1dJUk1GVwEEC1xrsj5aTnIbi0I>

The Italian thread about it is here:
<https://it.tlc.cellulari.android.narkive.com/Qzv1uCma/piaohong-newsreader-mod-14>

(It has google ads.)

Where this is the file that is located at that link above.
Name: ModNewsReader 2.02.M14.apk
Size: 3972074 bytes (3878 KiB)
SHA256: 54FC22C21D3C02801BE8D48340A189C3F20C5B7E309D851F21ABBEB6FF745B7E

And this is the Google Translation of that thread.
<https://it-tlc-cellulari-android-narkive-com.translate.goog/Qzv1uCma/piaohong-newsreader-mod-14?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp>

PiaoHong Newsreader Mod 14 by alfio
here we go again, here's a new version :-)

the new Mod 14 solves 1 small bug of the M13, but above all,
thanks to Dave Royal, adds the display of
orphan messages, i.e. those messages that are part of discussions which
do not exist on the server the initial message.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0uc1i$1dfg$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51243&group=comp.mobile.android#51243

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 21:26:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RrMQBWRCTeIsrb1noQXbT3oFVvQ= sha256:20jskn8CAOqsLjy3aNPkiKXh0Nv9PHqRRF7OWRheXcs=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 1 May 2024 21:26 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote on Wed, 1 May 2024 18:43:44 +0100 :

> Have you considered using a browser to access Usenet, eg with
> Newsgrouper (<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng>. You can try it out without
> registering, although it will be read-only. This NG appears at
> <https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/comp.mobile.android>, and if you scroll down
> to the end you will see this thread.
>
> There are other browser-interface Usenet apps available, such as novaBBS
> at <https://www.novabbs.com/common/grouplist.php>.

Of course I've used a browser to read Usenet news, and, in fact, I have
group-specific shortcuts on my Android homescreen so I can read the various
groups I care about most - but the print is tiny given how small the phone
is compared to a full-sized desktop monitor.

Here are some archive links so that everyone else can make those shortcuts.

<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/search.php?group=comp.mobile.android>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/comp.mobile.android>
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/>

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v0uejo$1to$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51245&group=comp.mobile.android#51245

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.software.readers,it.tlc.cellulari.android
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 22:10:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew - Wed, 1 May 2024 22:10 UTC

Taf@ndroid wrote on Wed, 1 May 2024 23:53:38 +0200 (GMT+02:00) :

>> If anyone has the mod17 modified color link, please post in reply.
>
> I have this link:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz/view?usp=drivesdk
>
> Please let me know if it's still downloads le from here
> I don't Remember if this Is the "color" version. I Hope yes.

Thanks for that link to what might be the PiaHong Mod17 Modified Color
by Alfio which apparently has a corrupt encryption key when I tried today.
<https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmg>

Here is where the link you kindly supplied took me just now:
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz/view?usp=drivesdk>
<https://drive.usercontent.google.com/download?id=1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz&export=download>
<https://drive.usercontent.google.com/download?id=1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz&export=download&confirm=t&uuid=ec036d81-ba8f-4322-b5a6-3120f8877f4e>
Name: Mod 17 colori.apk
Size: 3935052 bytes (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

It's not the same hash as the PiaHong Mod17 Original Color by Alfio.
<https://mega.nz/file/uYJSwBJD#3Ya4p0HpSczyt95c_MnXjyBXYqP5J_Phkz0gZ9RbkCI>
Name: OC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Size: 3926860 bytes (3834 KiB)
SHA256: BB05B9FD454AD8D38047484FEA338DE9FDAB056F56B66D39C114162A53883815

So it's definitely different; I'll have to install it to say any more.
If someone can get a hold of Alfio, perhaps he can upload his to confirm?

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<mn.13277e85041db7d8.0@PurpleReign>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51250&group=comp.mobile.android#51250

From: taf...@despam.anonaddy.com (Taf®)
Newsgroups: it.tlc.cellulari.android,comp.mobile.android,news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 13:27:47 +0200
usenet is forbidden. The publishing of this article on
the WEB Is also forbidden. Quotations are allowed.
 by: Taf® - Thu, 2 May 2024 11:27 UTC

On/il 01/05/2024 , *Taf@ndroid* wrote/ha scritto:
> Megacut 8><---
>> If anyone has the mod17 modified color link, please post in reply.

this original link from Alfio's post is working for me [Mod 17 Color]:
https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE
Just now I downloaded and installed it on my smartphone for testing.
Everything's OK! it installs as an update of my previous version

The original alfio's post is this one:
Message ID: <urim2v$2mgck$1@dont-email.me>
[COMPLETE COPY/PASTE ON]
visto che il Don fremeva dalla voglia di usare la nuova versione,
eccola qui :-)

OriginalColor:
https://mega.nz/file/uYJSwBJD#3Ya4p0HpSczyt95c_MnXjyBXYqP5J_Phkz0gZ9RbkCI

ModColor:
https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE

niente di nuovo sul fronte dei colori, mentre ho aggiunto 2 nuove
impostazioni:
1- "Visualizza messaggi orfani", la funzione era gia' presente
nella M16 ma non a tutti e' piaciuta, ora la si puo' non usare.
Il suo uso modifica i dati presenti del DB interno, e'
consigliato quindi un reset dei gruppi e nuovo refresh, quando si
cambia questa impostazione, altrimenti si vedono incongruenze tra
messaggi salvati prima e dopo il cambio dell'opzione.
2- "Headers personalizzati", si possono definire gli attributi che
compongono l'header di un messaggio. Devono essere scritti uno
per riga separando ID dal testo con la sequenza ": " (duepunti
spazio). Non c'e' nessun controllo su cosa scrivete, sara' il
server con cui postate a dirvi cosa non va bene, durante
l'invio.

--
non firmo niente
[COMPLETE COPY/PASTE OFF]

hope this helps... ^^

Anyway, my own personal thoughts for the OP: please, in the future try
to avoid crossposting. It is unwelcome behavior on usenet. Many thanks
in advance.

PS: Spero di non aver fatto torto a nessuno scrivendo solamente in
inglese. Ma il post originale è indirizzato anche a:
comp.mobile.android
news.software.readers

--
ByE bYe By Taf® O-|->
Prima di scrivere, *P.E.N.S.A.*

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v107p8$1vlk$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51254&group=comp.mobile.android#51254

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: it.tlc.cellulari.android,comp.mobile.android,news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 14:25:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew - Thu, 2 May 2024 14:25 UTC

Taf� wrote on Thu, 02 May 2024 13:27:47 +0200 :
Taf wrote:

> this original link from Alfio's post is working for me [Mod 17 Color]:
> https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE

<See Italian translation below...>
<Vedi la traduzione in italiano qui sotto...>

Ah. Great. That longer link (than what I had used) works for me also.
Mod17 Modified Colors by alfie.
<https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE>
Name: MC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Size: 3935052 bytes (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

Which I can now confirm is the same file kindly provided yesterday by Taf.
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz/view?usp=drivesdk>
Name: Mod 17 colori.apk
Size: 3935052 bytes (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

Which means the file above & the one below are the two latest M17 versions.
Mod17 OriginalColor by alfie
<https://mega.nz/file/uYJSwBJD#3Ya4p0HpSczyt95c_MnXjyBXYqP5J_Phkz0gZ9RbkCI>
Name: OC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Size: 3926860 bytes (3834 KiB)
SHA256: BB05B9FD454AD8D38047484FEA338DE9FDAB056F56B66D39C114162A53883815

Belatedly I see what happened (it was all my fault!). Sorry. I apologize.
The Google Translate (or the Narchive display) broke Alfie's original link
into two components, where I mistakenly didn't catch there was a line
break.

Mea culpa! Apologies for the false alarm.

=============< Deepl translate in Italian is below >=============
=======< La traduzione in italiano di Deepl � qui sotto >========

Taf ha scritto:

> questo link originale del post di Alfio mi funziona [Mod 17 Color]:
> https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE

Ah. Ottimo.
Quel link pi� lungo (di quello che avevo usato io) funziona anche a me.
Mod17 Colori modificati da alfie.
<https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE>
Nome: MC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Dimensione: 3935052 byte (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

Che ora posso confermare essere lo stesso file gentilmente fornito ieri da
Taf.
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASM_0d002N3pzqVxqLTIgnv5gBlxbiGz/view?usp=drivesdk>
Nome: Mod 17 colori.apk
Dimensione: 3935052 byte (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

Ci� significa che il file sopra e quello sotto sono le due ultime versioni
di M17.
Mod17 OriginalColor di alfie
<https://mega.nz/file/uYJSwBJD#3Ya4p0HpSczyt95c_MnXjyBXYqP5J_Phkz0gZ9RbkCI>
Nome: OC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Dimensione: 3926860 byte (3834 KiB)
SHA256: BB05B9FD454AD8D38047484FEA338DE9FDAB056F56B66D39C114162A53883815

Con ritardo vedo cosa � successo (� stata tutta colpa mia!). Mi dispiace.
Mi scuso.

Google Translate (o la visualizzazione di Narchive) ha spezzato il link
originale di Alfie in due componenti.
in due componenti, dove erroneamente non ho notato che c'era
un'interruzione di riga.
Mea culpa! Mi scuso per il falso allarme.

Tradotto con DeepL.com (versione gratuita)

Re: Android Usenet news newsreader

<v10a4n$2opi$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51256&group=comp.mobile.android#51256

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 15:06:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew - Thu, 2 May 2024 15:06 UTC

Dave Royal wrote on Thu, 2 May 2024 10:17:50 +0100 (GMT+01:00) :

> Ignore everything before M16.

<Italian newsgroup removed>

Thanks for that belated advice as it wasn't intuitive to me that Mod 17
wasn't a bugfix of Mod 16, so I appreciate the further clarification.

What you're saying is that either the two M16 files are the latest if you
want the improvements you had suggested to Alfie, or, if people prefer the
old ways with the addition of X-Face, the two M17 files are the latest.

Is that correct?
If so, that's confusing. At least at first it is.

I had downloaded all the versions, not knowing which version was going to
be the latest & greatest update.

> This [Mod16] solves the main problem with
> the PiaoHong newsreader - screwed-up quoting. Also the
> less-obvious design fault that it ignored replies if it didn't
> have the replied-to post. It also reports x-posts, which is
> important IMO.

Thanks for the summary of what is in the PiaHong NewsGroup Mod16 by Alfie.

Mod16 Original Colors
<https://mega.nz/file/DdQyVBgY#jq7uq7r4e8waidolLyvLgD_G_Rc82_FURYxaak7NUCI>
Name: OC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M16.apk
Size: 3922831 bytes (3830 KiB)
SHA256: 97B27E062306C9D6FEA9FC6EA49FEA7D920FF7C0CB05AAFBBEB9C96758A68C97

> The OC (original colours) version of M16 works adequately - not
> perfectly - for me on an Android 13 tablet, and better than the
> paid-for (VIP) version which I used for years. The colour version
> is preferred by some on the Italian newsgroup - for phones I
> think.

Mod16 Modified Colors
<https://mega.nz/file/GAwnTAaI#CshrBLtSl2smdcmHiBD0wdj-V409CJyq9nJ7IpQ0ooY>
Name: MC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M16.apk
Size: 3935119 bytes (3842 KiB)
SHA256: 010AAF7EFF0ABBE040E66BE0486F6D32936432EC16C8F2FB56717479C76F4CDA

> If you prefer the old behaviour whereby replies to missing
> replied-to posts are ignored - which can lead to multiple threads
> starting Re: and doesn't play well with filtering - then you can
> revert that in M17. Also if you want to use odd headers, like
> x-face. I haven't used M17.

Thanks for that summary that M17 isn't a bugfix of M16 but that it's a
design change that reverts to the old ways (which makes it a different app
in terms of what you said was different above).

Plus M17 adds an X-Face header.
So it's going to be up to user preference which to use, M16 or M17.

Mod17 Original Colors by Alfie.
<https://mega.nz/file/uYJSwBJD#3Ya4p0HpSczyt95c_MnXjyBXYqP5J_Phkz0gZ9RbkCI>
Name: OC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Size: 3926860 bytes (3834 KiB)
SHA256: BB05B9FD454AD8D38047484FEA338DE9FDAB056F56B66D39C114162A53883815

Mod17 Modified Colors by Alfie.
<https://mega.nz/file/CIhiFKDT#H4FvPyZ_SIWKitPvaUxjKstjNmgPJhyMqwZxI4VkWVE>
Name: MC-ModNewsReader 2.02.M17.apk
Size: 3935052 bytes (3842 KiB)
SHA256: DA8C8DF91DFAA68047F58A3339B6D5B91857185623CB7F386B74F9DFE84D5B03

> I will report on any future changes in the earlier thread I
> referred to in news.software.readers.

For reference for others, so they don't have to search for that thread as I
did, especially given newsreader retention sucks on the servers I use, is:

From: kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:44:54 +0100

<https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1825&group=news.software.readers#1825>
<https://news.software.readers.narkive.com/9N1ys3VT/newsreader-for-android>
<https://cmacleod.me.uk/ng/news.software.readers/35512>

I will further post related issues to _that_ thread, as will you.
Thanks for helping all of us obtain a decent newsreader for Android.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Android Usenet news newsreader