Subject: Sleeping Tesla Driver Car Chase
From: AnonUser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:57 UTC
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-n4a-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:57:27 +0000
To: rocksolid.shared.news
https://www.rt.com/usa/445431-sleeping-tesla-driver-car-chase/

Tesla travels 7 miles with driver asleep at the wheel, cops forced to take emergency action
Published time: 3 Dec, 2018 10:46
Edited time: 3 Dec, 2018 12:15
Get short URL
Tesla travels 7 miles with driver asleep at the wheel, cops forced to take emergency action The interior of a Tesla Model S is shown in autopilot mode. © Reuters / Alexandria Sage
22
A squad of cops had to get creative to stop a speeding vehicle whose driver appeared to be asleep at the wheel. Despite blaring sirens, flashing lights, and shouts from the officers, the speeding Tesla Model S just kept going.
The quick-thinking cops in Palo Alto decided to bring the bizarre situation to an end as quickly and safely as possible: they first established a moving perimeter far behind the Tesla to keep other drivers safe before one of the officers, who suspected that the vehicle’s autopilot system might be engaged, drove in front of the car and began gradually slowing down.

The formation reportedly travelled seven miles in seven minutes before the runaway Tesla finally came to a stop a short time after 3am local time on Friday. Officers could then finally question the dozing driver, who turned out to be 45-year old Alexander Samek, who serves on the Los Altos Planning Commission. “It took them awhile to wake him up,” Montiel told Palo Alto Online.

 Embedded video

RT

@RT_com
 Artificial intelligence may destroy humanity by accident (but it won’t apologize) - by @LeeCamp https://on.rt.com/9jiv 97
7:45 AM - Nov 30, 2018
77 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The police then carried out a roadside sobriety test which Samek failed. He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and booked into the San Mateo County jail.

“It’s great that we have this technology; however, we need to remind people that... even though this technology is available, they need to make sure they know they are responsible for maintaining control of the vehicle,” California Highway Patrol public information officer Art Montiel said.

Officers have yet to confirm that the car’s autopilot function was switched on but suspect the car was on driver-assist mode that provides semi-autonomous capability. According to the Tesla website, autopilot functionality can match the car’s speed to traffic conditions while staying within a lane, which seems to match the police description of the Friday night chase and subsequent arrest.

 Embedded video

Rodney Hansen
@RodneyHansen
 Thanks @Tesla, for keeping my blue suede shoes dry! ☔️  #summon #model3 #tesla

113K
4:42 PM - Nov 26, 2018
33K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
However, autopilot is supposed to detect if the driver's hands are on the wheel or not and recent software updates warn drivers in as little as 30 seconds if it suspects they may not be paying attention. The car should automatically slow to a halt if the driver fails to respond to alert warnings.

Tesla recently celebrated one billion miles travelled by its vehicles in autopilot mode.

--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

Subject: Re: Sleeping Tesla Driver Car Chase
From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 21:14 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 21:14:30+0000

with the increasing complexity of these pilot systems, it will be hard for the car producer to prove that the driver started the car, and then fell asleep.
"I swear Officer, I was just taking a nap, the next thing I knew was your gun in my ear...you gotta believe me !"
lol

Posted on def4.i2p