REST: P: Linus Torvalds S: Buried alive in email -- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

computers / rocksolid.nodes / Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

SubjectAuthor
* Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationCountry Bumpkin
+* Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationCountry Bumpkin
|`* Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationRetro Guy
| `- Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationRetro Guy
+- Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationRetro Guy
`- Rocksolid Documentation and Peering InformationRetro Guy

1
Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<tb7f66$1ueh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=456&group=rocksolid.nodes#456

From: ema...@inval.id (Country Bumpkin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 18:37:25 -0500
 by: Country Bumpkin - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:37 UTC

I downloaded the rslite github repo and poked around the codebase.

I cannot find documentation on setting up peering with other rslite
nodes and INN nodes so I can pull a select few public Usenet groups.
Does such documentation exist?

If not, which PHP file(s) handle the peering functionality? I can poke
around the source code and try to reason it out. I don't see a config
file for peering in the repo, or how to create new groups and local
groups. Do I just add new groups to the group list at
rslight/rocksolid/groups.txt ?

Also I need to figure out how to ensure everything rslite does goes
through a Tor hidden service without leaks. Has anyone written anything
on that?

I plan on running rslite on a Debian host with lighttpd web server
behind a Tor hidden service with a port also exposed to clearnet for the
NNTP server and PHP front end. I want to make sure rslite is not going
to leak around the hidden service port for Tor user security.

Then there is the issue of ensuring a SSL connection for both the PHP
web front end and for NNTP client connections, from either clearnet or Tor.

Where do I need to look?

--

Country Bumpkin

Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<tb7ffe$1ueh$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=457&group=rocksolid.nodes#457

From: ema...@inval.id (Country Bumpkin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 18:42:24 -0500
 by: Country Bumpkin - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:42 UTC

P.S. Is full NNTP server functionality built in to rslite or do I need
to run INN with it?

--

Country Bumpkin

Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<83a2238e647d28788c0fb65abdef93b8@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=458&group=rocksolid.nodes#458

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 02:51:13 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 02:51 UTC

I'll have answers for you late tonight. At work atm.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<bd0b6ed365587ecb773cb55680ebff9f@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=459&group=rocksolid.nodes#459

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:04:35 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:04 UTC

Country Bumpkin wrote:

> I downloaded the rslite github repo and poked around the codebase.

> I cannot find documentation on setting up peering with other rslite
> nodes and INN nodes so I can pull a select few public Usenet groups.
> Does such documentation exist?

Documentation is severely lacking (it doesn't exist). I've been working
on this project for quite a while but not many have showed interest in
it, so I just keep working on the code.

But yes, documentation really needs to be written at some point.

> If not, which PHP file(s) handle the peering functionality? I can poke
> around the source code and try to reason it out. I don't see a config
> file for peering in the repo, or how to create new groups and local
> groups. Do I just add new groups to the group list at
> rslight/rocksolid/groups.txt ?

First, yes, you add groups to groups.txt to add groups.

rslight contains a simple news server that is pretty much what you'd
connect to if you connect to inn in MODE READER. It does not have as
many commands available, but the ones there are work well. I connect to
rslight servers with several news clients and don't have trouble.

Peering is handled in rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php and send.php

spoolnews.php collects articles from a remote server, and maintains a
record of what it has pulled, so the next connection it tries to pull
only new articles since last connection.

send.php sends locally posted articles to the remote server. Note that
nntp.php and nntp-ssl.php will try to send articles immediately to the
remote server when posted, but if not, send.php will send them on a
regular basis.

The remote server can be another rslight instance, or inn2 (and probably
other servers). I've tried it with leafnode and that works.

So two rslight instances can sync with eachother with these features.

> Also I need to figure out how to ensure everything rslite does goes
> through a Tor hidden service without leaks. Has anyone written anything
> on that?

trw wrote a simple bash script to 'torify' outgoing rslight connections.
I can dig that up for you if you need it.

> I plan on running rslite on a Debian host with lighttpd web server
> behind a Tor hidden service with a port also exposed to clearnet for the
> NNTP server and PHP front end. I want to make sure rslite is not going
> to leak around the hidden service port for Tor user security.

I've tested on lighttpd and it worked fine for me. rslight should simply
use the connections you configure. It does not have "phone home" features
or any javascript that uses external scripts. Javascript is also very
minimal and not necessary for use.

> Then there is the issue of ensuring a SSL connection for both the PHP
> web front end and for NNTP client connections, from either clearnet or Tor.

rslight supports SSL for incoming and outgoing connections.

> Where do I need to look?

Configuration is mostly handled in /etc/rslight/rslight.inc.php . If you
configure at the command line instead of the setup script, you can find
instructions for each config option in /etc/rslight/scripts/setuphelper.php

There are more features to rslight and additional config files for them, but
the above should help get you started.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<0d5b3883eec9dfade08998d908224a70@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=460&group=rocksolid.nodes#460

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:06:45 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:06 UTC

Country Bumpkin wrote:

> P.S. Is full NNTP server functionality built in to rslite or do I need
> to run INN with it?

rslight does NOT support MODE STREAM, so it does not peer with inn like
another instance of inn does.

You can see in my other reply that it will still sync with inn, just not
the same way another inn instance would.

No other news servers are required to use or pair rslight instances.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Rocksolid Documentation and Peering Information

<bfd809a7481f85850a7d669399234ce9@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=461&group=rocksolid.nodes#461

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 06:45:06 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 06:45 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Country Bumpkin wrote:

>> P.S. Is full NNTP server functionality built in to rslite or do I need
>> to run INN with it?

> rslight does NOT support MODE STREAM, so it does not peer with inn like
> another instance of inn does.

> You can see in my other reply that it will still sync with inn, just not
> the same way another inn instance would.

> No other news servers are required to use or pair rslight instances.

I should answer the question more clearly. rslight does NOT require INN, or
any other news server to operate, serve clients, or to link to other servers, including
INN servers.

--
Retro Guy