Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 07:55 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 07:55:05 +0000
View all headers
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 207 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-207-released/
March 4, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 207. This version includes the following changes:
* Fix a gnarly regression when comparing directories against non-directories.
  (Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#292)
* Use our assert_diff utility where we can within test_directory.py
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Joerg Jaspert: Scan for SSH private keys without passphrase
https://blog.ganneff.de/2022/03/scan-for-ssh-private-keys-without-passphrase.html
March 3, 2022, 8:32 PM
SSH private key scanner (keys without passphrase)
So for policy reasons, customer wanted to ensure that every SSH
private key in use by a human on their systems has a passphrase set.
And asked us to make sure this is the case.
There is no way in SSH to check this during connection, so client side
needs to be looked at. Which means looking at actual files on the
system.
Turns out there are multiple formats for the private keys - and I
really do not want to implement something able to deal with...
--------------------
Jonathan McDowell: Neat uses for a backlit keyboard
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2022/03/backlit-keyboard-uses.html
March 3, 2022, 6:32 PM
I bought myself a new keyboard last November, a Logitech G213. True keyboard fans will tell me it’s not a real mechanical keyboard, but it was a lot cheaper and met my requirements of having some backlighting and a few media keys (really all I use are the volume control keys). Oh, and being a proper UK layout.
While the G213 isn’t fully independent RGB per key it does have a set of zones that can be controlled. Also this has been reverse engineered, so there are tools to do this under Linux...
--------------------
Enrico Zini: Migrating from procmail to sieve
http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2022/debian/migrating-from-procmail-to-sieve
March 3, 2022, 2:03 PM
Anarcat's "procmail considered harmful" post
convinced me to get my act together and finally migrate my venerable procmail based setup to sieve.
My setup was nontrivial, so I migrated with an intermediate step in which sieve
scripts would by default pipe everything to procmail, which allowed me to
slowly move rules from procmailrc to sieve until nothing remained in
procmailrc.
Here's what I did.
Literature review
https://brokkr.net/2019/10/31/lets-do-dovecot-slowly-and-properly-part-3-lmtp/
has ...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Tools for Communicating Offline and in Difficult Circumstances
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10356-tools-for-communicating-offline-and-in-difficult-circumstances
March 3, 2022, 2:49 AM
Note: this post is also available on my website, where it will be updated periodically.
When things are difficult – maybe there’s been a disaster, or an invasion (this page is being written in 2022 just after Russia invaded Ukraine), or maybe you’re just backpacking off the grid – there are tools that can help you keep in touch, or move your data around.  This page aims to survey some of them, roughly in order from easiest to more complex.
Simple radios
Handheld radios shouldn’t be for...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: 3D printed hard case for Fairphone 4
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/11376.html
March 3, 2022, 12:11 AM
About 4 years ago, I posted about making a 3D printed case for my then-new phone.  The FP2 was already a few years old when I got one and by now, some spares are unavailable - which is a problem, because I'm terribly hard on hardware.  Indeed, that's why I need a very sturdy case for my phone - a case which can be ablative when necessary.
With the arrival of my new Fairphone 4, I've updated my case design.  Sadly the FP4 doesn't have a notification LED - I guess we're supposed to be glued to t...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: procmail considered harmful
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-03-02-procmail-considered-harmful/
March 2, 2022, 6:16 PM
TL;DR: procmail is a security liability and has been abandoned
upstream for the last two decades. If you are still using it, you
should probably drop everything and at least remove its SUID
flag. There are plenty of alternatives to chose from, and conversion
is a one-time, acceptable trade-off.
Procmail is unmaintained
procmail is unmaintained. The "Final release", according to
Wikipedia, dates back to September 10, 2001 (3.22). That release
was shipped in Debian since then, all the way back f...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: Debian LTS work, February 2022
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/debian-lts-work-february-2022.html
March 2, 2022, 3:04 PM
In February I was assigned 16 hours of work by Freexian's Debian LTS
  initiative and carried over 8 hours from January.  I worked 16
  hours, and will carry over the remaining time to March.
  I spent most of my time triaging security issues for Linux, working
  out which of them were fixed upstream and which actually applied to
  the versions provided in Debian 9 "stretch".  I also rebased the
  Linux 4.9 (linux) package on the latest stable update, but did not
  make an upload this month....
--------------------
Keith Packard: picolibc-testing
http://keithp.com/blogs/picolibc-testing/
March 2, 2022, 7:28 AM
Testing Picolibc with the glibc tests
Picolibc has a bunch of built-in tests, but more testing is always
better, right? I decided to see how hard it would be to run some of
the tests provided in the GNU C Library (glibc).
Parallel meson build files
Similar to how Picolibc uses meson build files to avoid modifying the
newlib autotools infrastructure, I decided to take the glibc code and
write meson build rules that would compile the tests against Picolibc
header files and link against Picolibc...
--------------------
François Marier: Ways to refer to locahost in Chromium
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/ways-to-refer-to-localhost-chromium/
March 2, 2022, 2:45 AM
The filter rules preventing websites from portscanning the local
machine have recently
been tightened in Brave. It turns out there are a surprising number of ways
to refer to the local machine in Chromium.
localhost and friends
127.0.0.1 is the first address that comes to mind when thinking of the
local machine. localhost is typically aliased to that address (via
/etc/hosts), though that convention is not mandatory. The IPv6 equivalent
is [::1].
http://localhost/
http://foo.localhost/
http:/...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities February 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/03/01/floss-activities/
March 1, 2022, 4:16 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
gensim:
use datapath consistently,
enable a test,
rm cruft
git-remote-hg:
option to test installed code, fix shebang handling, check for Python/Mercurial
mpv-mpris:
add
CPPFLAGS,
smoke tests
purple-discord:
fix dead store,
fix crash
zxing-cpp:
drop code copy,
fix
crash,
spelling
iotop:
URL cleanup,
hide SWAPIN/IO when data collection is disabled,
promote
iotop-c,
distro packages
duck:
indi...
Russell Coker: SAGE (ITPA) Spam
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/03/01/sage-itpa-spam/
March 1, 2022, 4:11 AM
In 2008 I joined SAGE (the System Administrators’ Guild of Australia). It was a professional society for people doing sysadmin work (running computer servers). I quit when I found that the level of clue was lower than hoped and that members used the code of ethics as nothing but a way to score points in online debates. After quitting SAGE kept emailing me and wouldn’t respect my request to be removed from all lists so I had to block their mail server.
SAGE has in recent times changed it’s ...
Junichi Uekawa: The World is changing.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Mar-1.html.en#2022-Mar-1-08:45:37

Click here to read the complete article