From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: DoveNet
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 00:56:51 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 07:56 UTC

I think I've found a good way to get Dove-Net served via rocksolid nntp
server. It will be read-only as per the terms of Dove-Net.

I'll see how soon I can get that going, but having an a/c problem on the
house right now (compressor won't turn off) and that's taking a lot of
my time (can't find the right contactor).

I'll post back when one or more groups has been added to the server.

Retro Guy

Re: DoveNet

<onrc50$n2m$1@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=435&group=rocksolid.shared.general#435

From: anonym...@def.i2p (anonymous)
To: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: DoveNet
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:40:13 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: anonymous - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:40 UTC

Well good just let me know when it makes sense for me to add the groups.

Will you put the freenet and usenet groups also on this nntp-server, so that it will have all groups, or will they stay only on the old one ?

Greets

wed
Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

Re: DoveNet

<59A14F8E.6.rs.general@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=436&group=rocksolid.shared.general#436

From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: anonymous
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 10:38:42 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 17:38 UTC

On 08/26/2017 01:40 AM, anonymous wrote:
> Well good just let me know when it makes sense for me to add the groups.
>
> Will you put the freenet and usenet groups also on this nntp-server, so
> that it will have all groups, or will they stay only on the old one ?
>
> Greets
> wed
> Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

I need to get pullnews working and then I can get dovenet and usenet set
up.

Freenet is a bit different. Group naming consistency and username
control are critical for posting. Posting and username security work now
if connected through retrobbs, but I need to do some testing to make
sure that a user who claims an identity (Freenet identity) can't be
spoofed once running through the nntp server.

pullnews is giving me an error and I'm having a bit of difficulty with
it right now. Also, busy with real life stuff atm also.

Once I can get pullnews to actually feed the nntp server, both dovenet
and usenet should be ready to go. I'll just create the groups and connect.

Retro Guy

Re: DoveNet

<onrm52$1cl$1@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=437&group=rocksolid.shared.general#437

From: anonym...@def.i2p (anonymous)
To: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 18:30:56 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: anonymous - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 18:30 UTC

Alright, I see that there is some complicated stuff to synch this.

Meanwhile, another question: I have been thinking about setting a nntp-server locally. Maybe it is a good idea to separate frontend and backend, just like you did. Will make things easier when integrating more nodes, I suspect (I am not sure how well Fud handles updates from different sources to the same forum).
Do you have a recommendation for the software ? inn maybe ? or what do you use ?

wed
Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

Re: DoveNet

<59A1F71F.12.rs.general@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=442&group=rocksolid.shared.general#442

From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: anonymous
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 22:33:40 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 27 Aug 2017 05:33 UTC

On 08/26/2017 04:30 AM, anonymous wrote:
> Alright, I see that there is some complicated stuff to synch this.
>
> Meanwhile, another question: I have been thinking about setting a
> nntp-server locally. Maybe it is a good idea to separate frontend and
> backend, just like you did. Will make things easier when integrating
> more nodes, I suspect (I am not sure how well Fud handles updates from
> different sources to the same forum).
> Do you have a recommendation for the software ? inn maybe ? or what do
> you use ?
>
> wed
> Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

That's a good idea. It properly distributes the forums.

I use inn2, which seems to be working fine.

Retro Guy

Re: DoveNet

<59A2A4D1.13.rs.general@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=443&group=rocksolid.shared.general#443

From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: anonymous
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 10:54:11 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:54 UTC

On 08/26/2017 04:30 AM, anonymous wrote:
> Alright, I see that there is some complicated stuff to synch this.
>
> Meanwhile, another question: I have been thinking about setting a
> nntp-server locally. Maybe it is a good idea to separate frontend and
> backend, just like you did. Will make things easier when integrating
> more nodes, I suspect (I am not sure how well Fud handles updates from
> different sources to the same forum).
> Do you have a recommendation for the software ? inn maybe ? or what do
> you use ?
>
> wed
> Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

I just came home from work to find the computer running retrobbs and
rocksolid locked up (so, not so rocksolid).

All the more reason to run multiple, remote nntp servers.

You should be able to set up inn2, and have it sync with mine here, then
you only need to connect to your own nntp server, not multiple servers
for the same group.

I do plan to run a separate remote inn2 instance also, but not right
away. I want to get feeding the server working locally first. It's not
something I've done before and the logging is lacking, so it's hard to
identify what I'm doing wrong.

Retro Guy