Subject: Adding file sharing to rslight
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 09:46 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 09:46:20 +0000
View all headers
Currently working on the ability to upload and share small files in rslight.

I've finished the uploading part, and still need to complete the proper "safe" way of browsing and downloading.

The idea is that any registered user may upload certain types of files to a maximum limit (bytes, not files), and the files will be browsable by the user's login name. This is not made for secret file sharing as anyone will be able to browse. The idea is that you can upload and mention a file, and then others can view or download it.

I will probably include a time limit for files to remain in the db to avoid just filling up disk space with files no longer used. I'll most likely also add a permanent section that the admin can move files to that will not expire. This is all in a BBS mindset, not a place to upload and share gigs of stuff.

Hopefully I'll have something online in the next 1-2 weeks.

Subject: Re: Adding file sharing to rslight
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:40 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:40:57 +0000
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Currently working on the ability to upload and share small files in rslight.

This is mostly working now. What's left is verifying file types, which isn't too hard, and then making it look decent (much harder).

So basically, upload a file under your username (by logging in), and others can browse the files by user. Again, this is more in line with BBS thinking. It's not meant to be a private file share.

This would all be much faster if the job thing didn't keep getting in the way.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:41 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:41:31 +0000
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

Currently working on the ability to upload and share small files in rslight.

This is mostly working now. What's left is verifying file types, which isn't too hard, and then making it look decent (much harder).

So basically, upload a file under your username (by logging in), and others can browse the files by user. Again, this is more in line with BBS thinking. It's not meant to be a private file share.

This is online now on rslight.i2p or http://fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion/

It's not finished, but it works. I'll still be working on it but wanted it online for better testing.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:40 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:40:54 +0000
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

Currently working on the ability to upload and share small files in rslight.

So far this is working fine on rslight.i2p and my bsd test site. Really it's being tested on the bsd site mostly so I can try different things to find issues. So far, it seems ok.

I'm going to get started soon on private messaaging. I've been thinking for a few days of the best way to do it, and I think I've settled on one. I'll think about it a few more days before diving into writing code. There are some future features I want (not soon), and I'd like to write this in a way that supports those features even though they won't exist yet.

I'll make sure all the code on the test site is pushed to github, etc., and all my sites are running the same version and then get started. Retro Guy

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 06:55 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 06:55:01 +0000
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

I'm going to get started soon on private messaaging. I've been thinking for a few days of the best way to do it, and I think I've settled on one. I'll think about it a few more days before diving into writing code. There are some future features I want (not soon), and I'd like to write this in a way that supports those features even though they won't exist yet.

I now have writing and listing private messages working, and saving them to a db. Still a lot more work to do before it's complete, but it's coming along nicely.

From: Retro guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 05:21 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 05:21:47 +0000
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

I'm going to get started soon on private messaaging. I've been thinking for a few days of the best way to do it, and I think I've settled on one. I'll think about it a few more days before diving into writing code. There are some future features I want (not soon), and I'd like to write this in a way that supports those features even though they won't exist yet.

I now have writing and listing private messages working, and saving them to a db. Still a lot more work to do before it's complete, but it's coming along nicely.

There is now a link on Rocksolid Light for mail (upper right). It is not complete, but putting it online for testing.

Features that will be added that are not there yet include the ability to delete a messaage, and probably a way to limit how many headers are shown at once.

But for right now it seems to be working ok.