Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 04:50 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 04:50:04 +0000
View all headers
Jonathan McDowell: Building a desktop to improve my work/life balance
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2021/12/desktop-work-life-balance.html
December 2, 2021, 8:00 PM
It’s been over 20 months since the first COVID lockdown kicked in here in Northern Ireland and I started working from home. Even when the strict lockdown was lifted the advice here has continued to be “If you can work from home you should work from home”. I’ve been into the office here and there (for new starts given you need to hand over a laptop and sort out some login details it’s generally easier to do so in person, and I’ve had a couple of whiteboard sessions that needed the hig...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Processing IQ data formats (Part 1/5) 🐀
https://k3xec.com/packrat-processing-iq/
December 2, 2021, 5:00 PM
🐀 This post is part of a series called "PACKRAT". If this is the first post
you've found, it'd be worth reading the
intro post first and then looking over
all posts in the series.
When working with SDRs, information about the signals your radio is receiving
are communicated by streams of
IQ
data. IQ is short for “In-phase” and “Quadrature”, which means 90 degrees
out of phase. Values in the IQ stream are commonly treated as
complex numbers because it
helps greatly when processing the...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Intro to PACKRAT (Part 0/5) 🐀
https://k3xec.com/packrat-intro/
December 2, 2021, 4:00 PM
Hello! Welcome. I’m so thrilled you’re here.
Some of you may know this (as I’ve written about in the past), but if you’re
new to my RF travels, I’ve spent nights and weekends over the last two years
doing some self directed learning on how radios work. I’ve gone from a very
basic understanding of wireless communications, all the way through the process
of learning about and implementing a set of libraries to modulate and
demodulate data using my now formidable stash of
SDRs. I’ve b...
--------------------
Steve Kemp: It has been some time..
https://blog.steve.fi/it_has_been_some_time__.html
December 2, 2021, 3:00 PM
I realize it has been quite some time since I last made a blog-post, so I guess the short version is "I'm still alive", or as Granny Weatherwax would have said:
I ATE'NT DEAD
Of course if I die now this would be an awkward post!
I can't think of anything terribly interesting I've been doing recently, mostly being settled in my new flat and tinkering away with things.  The latest "new" code was something for controlling mpd via a web-browser:
https://github.com/skx/mpd-web
This is a simp...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: drat 0.2.2 on CRAN: Package Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/12/02#drat_0.2.2
December 2, 2021, 1:33 PM
A fresh and new minor release of drat arrived on CRAN overnight. This is another small update relative to the 0.2.0 release in April followed by a 0.2.1 update in July. This release follows the changes made in digest yesterday. We removed the YAML file (and badge) for the disgraced former continuous integration service we shall not name (yet that we all used to use). And we converted the vignette from using the minidown package to the (fairly new) simplermarkdown package which is so much more ap...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: December.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2021-Dec-2.html.en#2021-Dec-2-08:56:22
December 1, 2021, 11:56 PM

--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in November 2021
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2021/12/my-debian-activities-in-november-2021/
December 1, 2021, 3:33 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 564 and rejected 93 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 591.
Debian LTS
This was my eighty-ninth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 40h. During that time I did LTS and normal security uploads of:
[DLA 2820-1] atftp security update for two CVEs
[DLA 2821-1] axis security update for one CVE
[DLA 2822-1] netkit-rsh security update for...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: digest 0.6.29 on CRAN: Package Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/12/01#digest_0.6.29
December 1, 2021, 12:31 PM
Release 0.6.29 of the digest package arrived at CRAN earlier today, and will be uploaded Debian shortly.
digest creates hash digests of arbitrary R objects (using the md5, sha-1, sha-256, sha-512, crc32, xxhash32, xxhash64, murmur32, spookyhash, and blake3 algorithms) permitting easy comparison of R language objects. It is a mature and widely-used as many tasks may involve caching of objects for which it provides convenient general-purpose hash key generation.
This release only contains two smal...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A World Without Email
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-525-53657-4.html
December 1, 2021, 5:07 AM
Review: A World Without Email, by Cal Newport
      Publisher:
    Portfolio/Penguin
        Copyright:
    2021
        ISBN:
    0-525-53657-4
        Format:
    Kindle
        Pages:
    264
  A World Without Email is the latest book by computer science
professor and productivity writer Cal Newport.  After a detour to comment
on the drawbacks of social media in Digital Minimalism, Newport is back to writing about focus and
concentration in the vein of Deep Work.
This time, thou...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities November 2021
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2021/12/01/floss-activities/
December 1, 2021, 2:52 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
crazydiskinfo:
cleanup
plac:
cleanup
mpv-mpris:
cleanup
(1
2)
purple-discord:
cleanup
yt-dlp:
add
RTRFM,
Blogger,
ABC iView show/series
extractors
gensim:
reenable test dep,
use PATH too
whohas:
https
devscripts:
bts CC improvements
Debian package uploads:
sptag,
purple-discord,
uvloop
Debian wiki pages:
AndroidTools,
ChrootOnAndroid,
DebianBookworm,
DebianHams/Handbook,
DebianKernel/Users...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links November 2021
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2021/11/30/links-november-2021/
November 30, 2021, 1:31 PM
The Guardian has an amusing article by Sophie Elmhirst about Libertarians buying a cruise ship to make a “seasteading” project off the coast of Panama [1]. It turns out that you need permits etc to do this and maintaining a ship is expensive. Also you wouldn’t want to mine cryptocurrency in a ship cabin as most cabins are small and don’t have enough airconditioning to remain pleasant if you dump 1kW or more into the air.
NPR has an interesting article about the reaction of the NRA to the...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Commitcoin
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2021-11-30-12-00_commitcoin.html
November 30, 2021, 11:00 AM
How do you get a git commit with an interesting commit ID (or “SHA”)?
Of course, interesting is in the eye of the beholder, but let's define
it as having many repeated hex nibbles, e.g. “000” in the commit would
be somewhat interesting and “8888888888888888888888888” would be very
interesting. This is pretty similar to the dreaded cryptocoin mining;
we have no simple way of forcing a given SHA-1 hash unless someone
manages a complete second-preimage break, so we must brute-force.
(An...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Your Device Has Been Improved
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2021/11/30/your-device-has-been-improved/
November 30, 2021, 9:41 AM
I’ve just started a Samsung tablet downloading a 770MB update, the description says:
Overall stability of your device has been improved
The security of your device has been improved
Technically I have no doubt that both those claims are true and accurate. But according to common understanding of the English language I think they are both misleading.
By “stability improved” they mean “fixed some bugs that made it unstable” and no technical person would imagine that after a certain n...
Evgeni Golov: Getting access to somebody else's Ansible Galaxy namespace

Click here to read the complete article