Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 07:45 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 07:45:06 +0000
View all headers
Shirish Agarwal: The King of Torts – John Grisham
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/02/19/the-king-of-torts-john-grisham/
February 19, 2022, 6:44 AM
John Grisham The King of Torts Lots of things have been happening and I have been unable to be on top of things. There are so many things that happen and keep on happening and a lot of it is just not in control. For those who are watching Brexit, India is going through the same/similar phenomena just without Brexit. I would not like to delve much into Indian happenings as there is no sweet story to tell.
Mum is in hospital (diabetic foot) so a lot of time to read books. So I have been mak...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppSimdJson 0.1.7 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/02/18#rcppsimdjson_0.1.7
February 18, 2022, 11:34 PM
The RcppSimdJson package was updated to release 0.1.7 today. CRAN had sent a note overnight that it triggered ‘LENGTH_1’ error (where boolean comparisons happen with longer vectors). That may be debatable in the two cases flagged if one looks at the commit but life being too short to debate this so we just fixed it. The email came in at 04:50h-ish when I was sound asleep, but four hours later the fixed version was on CRAN thanks to the automated processing:
RcppSimdJson wraps the fantastic ...
--------------------
Colin Watson: Launchpad now supports SSH Ed25519 keys and RSA SHA-2 signatures
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/lp-new-ssh-features.html
February 18, 2022, 1:49 PM
As of 2022-02-16, Launchpad supports a couple of features on its SSH
endpoints (git.launchpad.net, bazaar.launchpad.net, ppa.launchpad.net,
and upload.ubuntu.com) that it previously didn’t: Ed25519 public
keys (a well-regarded format,
supported by OpenSSH since 6.5 in 2014) and signatures with existing RSA
public keys using SHA-2 rather than
SHA-1 (supported by OpenSSH since
7.2 in 2016).
I’m hesitant to call these features “new”, since they’ve been around for a
long time elsewhere, a...
--------------------
Abiola Ajadi: Modifying expectations!
https://ajadi-abiola.github.io/blog/Modifying-expectation
February 17, 2022, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone!
In today’s blog post I will be talking about the progress i have made , the hurdles I encountered and how my current progress differs from my original expectations.
I applied to Debian community with a particular timeline and expected it to go that way, but after starting out i realized i had alot to learn in Ruby and the codebase. So far i have worked on issues i am proud of and when i use Debci i see some of the changes i added for example the self-service form remembering va...
--------------------
Joerg Jaspert: Funny CPU usage - rewrite it in rust
https://blog.ganneff.de/2022/02/funny-cpu-usage-rewrite-in-rust.html
February 16, 2022, 8:23 PM
Munin plugin and it’s CPU usage (and a rewrite in rust)
With my last blog on the Munin plugins CPU usage I complained about Oracle
Linux doing something really weird, driving up CPU usage when running
a fairly simple Shell script with a loop in.
Turns out, I was wrong. It is not OL7 that makes this problem show
up. It appears to be something from the Oracle “Enterprise” Database
installed on the system, that makes it go this crazy. I’ve now had
this show up on RedHat7 systems too, and ...
--------------------
Robert McQueen: Forward the Foundation
https://ramcq.net/2022/02/16/forward-the-foundation/
February 16, 2022, 2:48 PM
Earlier this week, Neil McGovern announced that he is due to be stepping down as the Executive Director as the GNOME Foundation later this year. As the President of the board and Neil’s effective manager together with the Executive Committee, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on his achievements in the past 5 years and explain a little about what the next steps would be.
Since joining in 2017, Neil has overseen a productive period of growth and maturity for the Foundation, increasing our...
--------------------
Norbert Preining: NVEnc for Arch Linux
https://www.preining.info/blog/2022/02/nvenc-for-arch-linux/
February 15, 2022, 2:33 AM
I have been using NVEnc – a NVIDIA hardware based encoder – for quite some time now. Mostly because I was pointed to it by FastFlix, one of the best video en/recoding frontend programs out there. Having switched to Arch Linux lately, I realized there is no package of it – perfect time to start contributing and preparing an AUR package for it.
Since it is my first package I made for Arch, it took me a bit of reading through the excellent wiki of Arch, and comparing a few other PKGBUILD fil...
--------------------
Neil McGovern: Handing over
https://blog.halon.org.uk/2022/02/handing-over/
February 14, 2022, 2:30 PM
In 2017, I was attending FOSDEM when GNOME announced that I was to become the new Executive Director of the Foundation. Now, nearly 5 years later, I’ve decided the timing is right for me to step back and for GNOME to start looking for its next leader. I’ve been working closely with Rob and the rest of the board to ensure that there’s an extended and smooth transition, and that GNOME can continue to go from strength to strength.
GNOME has changed a lot in the last 5 years, and a lot has ...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Updated vlc bittorrent plugin in Debian (version 2.14)
http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Updated_vlc_bittorrent_plugin_in_Debian__version_2_14_.html
February 14, 2022, 7:00 AM
I am very happy to report that a new version of the
VLC
bittorrent plugin was just uploaded into debian.  The changes
since last time is mostly code clean in the download code. The package
is currently in Debian unstable, but should be available in Debian
testing son.  To test it, simply install it like this:
apt install vlc-plugin-bittorrent
After it is installed, you can try to use it to play a file
downloaded live via bittorrent like this:
vlc https://archive.org/download/Glass_201703/Gla
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: Troubleshooting network issues.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Feb-13.html.en#2022-Feb-13-17:16:13
February 13, 2022, 8:16 AM
Troubleshooting network issues. Completely forgot how to use dig command.
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Got to boot a RPi Zero 2 W with Debian
https://gwolf.org/2022/02/got-to-boot-a-rpi-zero-2-w-with-debian.html
February 13, 2022, 6:45 AM
About a month ago, I got tired of waiting for the newest member of
the Raspberry product
lineup
to be sold in Mexico, and I bought it from a Chinese reseller through
a big online shopping platform. I paid quite a bit of premium (~US$85
instead of the advertised US$15), and got it delivered ten days
later…
Anyway, it’s known this machine does not yet boot mainline Linux. The
vast majority of ARM systems require the bootloader to load a Device
Tree file, presenting the hardware characterist...
--------------------
Ritesh Raj Sarraf: apt-offline 1.8.4
https://www.researchut.com/blog/apt_offline_184/
February 12, 2022, 3:17 PM
apt-offline 1.8.4
apt-offline version 1.8.4 has been released.
This release includes many bug fixes but the important ones are:
Better GPG signature handling
Support for verifying InRelease files
Changelog
apt-offline (1.8.4-1) unstable; urgency=medium
  [ Debian Janitor ]
  * Update standards version to 4.5.0, no changes needed.
  [ Paul Wise ]
  * Clarify file type in unknown file message
  * Fix typos
  * Remove trailing whitespace
  * Update LICENSE file to match official GNU version
  *...
Ingo Juergensmann: Old Buildd.Net Database
https://blog.windfluechter.net/2022/02/11/old-buildd-net-database/
February 11, 2022, 6:05 PM
Since March/April 2000 I was deeply involved in Debian m68k and operated multiple m68k autobuilder for over a decade. In fact my Amiga 3000 named “arrakis” was the second buildd for m68k in addition to the Debian owned Amiga 3000UX named “kullervo”. Back in that time there was some small website running on Kullervo to display some information about the Debian autobuilder. After some time we (as m68k porters) moved that webpage away from Kullervo to my root server. Step by step this s...

Click here to read the complete article