Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:40 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:40:03 +0000
View all headers
Holger Levsen: 20220211-inbox-zero-in-2022-and-beyond
http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20220211-inbox-zero-in-2022-and-beyond/
February 11, 2022, 1:34 PM
Back to the old and new normal: inbox zero
So, a long time ago, on the last two days of January 2020 I had reached zero unread mails
in my inbox and all mailing lists and then... some stuff kept me distracted for a (too) long time...
And then two weeks ago on the 29th of January 2022, I've reached inbox zero again,
and again on the 30th and then I had a hardware issue and couldn't really use my computer
for two days (one day trying to fix, the other copying data around...) and thus
only on Feb...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 204 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-204-released/
February 11, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 204. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Don't run the binwalk comparator tests as root (or fakeroot) as the
  latest version of binwalk has some security protection against doing
  precisely this.
* If we fail to scan a file using binwalk, return 'False' from
  BinwalkFile.recognizes rather than raise a traceback.
* If we fail to import the Python "binwalk" module, don't accidentally ...
--------------------
Patryk Cisek: Automating Let's Encrypt certificates with Gandi LiveDNS
https://prezu.ca/post/2022-02-10-certbot-gandi/
February 10, 2022, 10:43 PM
As a Debian Developer I have a discount on using Gandi and I’ve been using it for quite a long time and have been very happy with it. I’ve been using it for registering domains. For example this blog’s domain is managed by my Gandi account.
Using publicly registered domain in private-only setup In addition to using this DNS registrar for public stuff, like a blog, one can also use it for a domain accessible only within a private network....
--------------------
Russell Coker: Mouse and Teflon
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/02/10/mouse-teflon/
February 10, 2022, 7:28 AM
I had a problem with my mouse. The slippery plastic bits on the bottom weren’t glued on well and came off, which then gave more friction when moving on the desk. After asking advice on a mailing list the best suggestion was Teflon sticky tape. I bought a few meters of such tape (a lifetime supply for mouse repair) and used an 8cm strip on each side of the bottom of my mouse which made it slippery enough.
Ebay seems like a good place to buy that, most of the offers are well below $20 for a reel...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Faster man-db
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-02-10-00-33_faster_man_db.html
February 9, 2022, 11:33 PM
Since Colin isn't blogging about it, I guess the honor falls to me :-)
As of a few days ago, the man-db version in Debian unstable (2.10.0)
is a lot faster in rebuilding its index (used for whatis/apropos).
Earlier versions would use as much as a few minutes in the dpkg trigger;
now it's about 40 times as fast, and rarely takes more than a few seconds
even for large upgrades. (We've discussed putting it in the background,
but it's really not that annoying anymore.)
The code is basically all Co...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: One, by Be
https://jmtd.net/log/One,_by_Be/
February 9, 2022, 8:29 PM
The sublime One, by Be is a pastoral, English summer time instrumental improvisation around field recordings and the theme of the honey bee. A lovely piece to accompany deep thinking. I’m reminded of Virginia Astley. Be are associated with Caught by the River, a collective who explore ways of setpping out of daily digital live and embrace, nature, walks, calm, etc....
--------------------
Kentaro Hayashi: Writing Debian New Contributor Guide
https://kenhys.hatenablog.jp/entry/2022/02/09/191755
February 9, 2022, 10:17 AM
Recently, I've wrote Debian New Cotributor Guide in Japanese.
Here is the photo of on-demand printed version.
Debian New Contributor Guide
This book  (JIS-B5 128p) was published for online event - Techbookfest 12th.
It covers how to package a new software in Debian.
techbookfest.org
Mostly PDF format is preferred, and a few printed versions were distributed....
--------------------
Norbert Preining: KDE/Plasma 5.24 for Debian
https://www.preining.info/blog/2022/02/kde-plasma-5-24-for-debian/
February 9, 2022, 8:09 AM
Yesterday, KDE released version 5.24 of the Plasma desktop with the usual long list of updates and improvements. This release will be considered a LTS release. And Plasma 5.24 is now available for all Debian releases. (And don’t forget KDE Gears/Apps 21.12!)
As usual, I am providing packages via my OBS builds. If you have used my packages till now, then you only need to change the plasma5XX line to read plasma524. To give full details, I repeat (and update) instructions for all here: First of...
--------------------
Neil Williams: Django Model Mommy moving to Model Bakery
https://linux.codehelp.co.uk/moving-to-bakery.html
February 8, 2022, 2:01 PM
Some Django applications use Model Mommy in unit tests:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-model-mommy
Upstream, model mommy has been renamed model bakery:
https://model-bakery.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Model Bakery is a rename of the legacy model_mommy’s project. This is
because the project’s creator and maintainers decided to not reinforce
gender stereotypes for women in technology. You can read more about
this subject here
Hence: https://bugs.debian.org/1005114
and https://ftp-master
--------------------
John Goerzen: KDE: A Nice Tiling Envieonment and a Surprisingly Awesome DE
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10338-kde-a-nice-tiling-envieonment-and-a-surprisingly-awesome-de
February 7, 2022, 9:45 PM
I recently wrote that managing an external display on Linux shouldn’t be this hard.  I went down a path of trying out some different options before finally landing at an unexpected place: KDE.  I say “unexpected” because I find tiling window managers are just about a necessity.
Background: xmonad
Until a few months ago, I’d been using xmonad for well over a decade.  Configurable, minimal, and very nice; it suited me well.
However, xmonad is getting somewhat long in the tooth.  xmobar, wh...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: x13binary 1.1.57-3 on CRAN: Packaging Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/02/07#x13binary_1.1.57-3
February 7, 2022, 1:09 PM
Release 1.1.57-3 of the x13binary package providing the X-13ARIMA-SEATS program by the US Census Bureau arrived late yesterday on CRAN.
This release relaxes the download requirement on macOS and Linux: if a user supplies a path in an environment variable X13_PATH we check for a suitable binary there and omit the download. This helps with air-gapped installation (and alike).
Courtesy of my CRANberries, there is also a diffstat report for this release showing changes to the previous release.
If yo...
--------------------
Gustavo R. Montesino: Hardware failures...
http://grmontesino.blogspot.com/2008/06/hardware-failures.html
February 7, 2022, 12:39 PM
The Bad:
When I got to work today, I've found our server (white box with Debian etch responsible for networking, files, printers, etc) powered off - most likely the UPS' battery didn't survive a power outage during the night. When I turned the server on I was greeted by all those nice lines telling me I had a hard disk problem.
The Ugly:
Instead off marking the disk showing the read errors as bad, the RAID stack (device mapper?) somehow concluded the "good" disk of the RAID 1 array wasn't syn...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Embers of War
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-78565-519-1.html
February 7, 2022, 4:50 AM
Review: Embers of War, by Gareth L. Powell
      Series:
    Embers of War #1
        Publisher:
    Titan Books