From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Problems upgrading rslight
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 08:12:47 -0500
logging-data="1006765"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 5 May 2023 13:12 UTC

A fresh install of the most recent php8 branch gives these errors when
trying to execute the cron job (file paths truncated):

'PHP Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: could not find driver ...'

'... thrown in .../newsportal.php on line 1425'

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: openssl_pkey_get_details():
Argument #1 ($key) must be of type OpenSSLAsymmetricKey, bool given in
..../letsencrypt.inc.php:11'

stack trace:
#0 .../letsencrypt.inc.php(11): openssl_pkey_get_details()
#1 .../scripts/rslight-lib.php(1202): include('...')
#2 .../scripts/cron.php(51): create_node_ssl_cert()
#3 {main} thrown in .../letsencrypt.inc.php on line 11

I checked to ensure that php8.2-sqlite3, php8.2-fpm, and php-db are
installed. This output is on the same machine running the php7.4 version
that does work.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: Problems upgrading rslight

<u3310n$un5d$2@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#338

From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: Problems upgrading rslight
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 08:42:24 -0500
logging-data="1006765"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 5 May 2023 13:42 UTC

When I revert to php8.0 instead of php8.2, the PDO error goes away, but
this error remains when running the cron job (paths truncated):

Updated user count
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: openssl_pkey_get_details():
Argument #1 ($key) must be of type OpenSSLAsymmetricKey, bool given in
..../letsencrypt.inc.php:11 Stack trace: #0 .../letsencrypt.inc.php(11):
openssl_pkey_get_details() #1 .../scripts/rslight-lib.php(1202):
include('...') #2 .../scripts/cron.php(51): create_node_ssl_cert()
#3 {main}
thrown in .../letsencrypt.inc.php on line 11

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: Problems upgrading rslight

<u336m7$104rh$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#339

From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:19:13 -0500
logging-data="1053553"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 5 May 2023 15:19 UTC

In letsencrypt.inc.php this line:

$letsencrypt['path'] = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/<domain>/";

refers to a non-existent path. Is there a missing dependency that
should create this?

Using php8.0 on debian bullseye upgraded to most recent packages I
tried again. I manually created a path with my domain name. Then I ran
the rslight cron.php and got this error output (paths truncated):

<<<>>>
Updated user count
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: openssl_pkey_get_details():
Argument #1 ($key) must be of type OpenSSLAsymmetricKey, bool given in
..../letsencrypt.inc.php:14

Stack trace:
#0 .../letsencrypt.inc.php(14): openssl_pkey_get_details()
#1 .../scripts/rslight-lib.php(1202): include('...')
#2 .../scripts/cron.php(51): create_node_ssl_cert()
#3 {main}
thrown in .../letsencrypt.inc.php on line 14
<<<>>>

I ran the cron again with php8.2 and got the exact same error output.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: Problems upgrading rslight

<u337so$109fe$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#340

From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:39:45 -0500
logging-data="1058286"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 5 May 2023 15:39 UTC

Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. The php8 branch works
with php7.4 running the cron but php8+ cannot run the cron or handle
letsencrypt.

When I run the cron using php7.4, there are no errors. The
syncronization is working and the messages are being pulled
successfully. The NNTP server works and accepts commands and
successfully creates a ssl connection.

This is using the most recent commit of the php8 branch but running it
with php7.4. So something in php8+ is not set right and causing the
earlier errors in this thread.

Running the cron.php with php7.4 I was even able to create a custom
path for the letsencrypt/{domain} directory and it still works and
creates the keys without any errors.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: Problems upgrading rslight

<71e587230b1205a54313b6307558b7c6@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#341

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 16:47:01 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 5 May 2023 16:47 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> In letsencrypt.inc.php this line:

> $letsencrypt['path'] = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/<domain>/";

> refers to a non-existent path. Is there a missing dependency that
> should create this?

Ok, so far it looks like letsencrypt is appearing in the errors shown.

This file is only needed if you are using a 'letsencrypt' certificate.
If you are not using one, you can safely delete or rename this file.

If you are using one, the <domain> is what you set up the cert to use.
For example, my line on novabbs is:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/news.novabbs.org
That dir is created when I insall the cert. Inside that dir are my
keys.

If you rename this file, rslight creates it's own self signed cert
and should work fine with that. So, if you don't have a letsencrypt
cert, rename the file so rslight does not try to use it.

php7 seemed to ignore this dir not existing, but php8 does not.

Next:

I found that upgrading to bookworm did not install all the necessary
packages needed, so I reinstalled them:

apg-get install php sqlite3 php-sqlite php-mbstring sharutils openssl php-gnupg
libphp-phpmailer php-xml compface php-gd php-fpm

If they're already installed, that's fine. If not, they get installed.

> Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. The php8 branch works
> with php7.4 running the cron but php8+ cannot run the cron or handle
> letsencrypt.

> When I run the cron using php7.4, there are no errors. The
> syncronization is working and the messages are being pulled
> successfully. The NNTP server works and accepts commands and
> successfully creates a ssl connection.

I went straight from 7.4 to 8.2, so I don't know how 8.0 handles things,
but it seems 8.2 catches more errors than 7.4 and possibly than 8.0 also.

Note: My last upgrade (www.novabbs.com) worked the very first try, but
that's because I already experience the errors on previous two server
upgrades. Hopefully, it's just something not installed, or the existence
of letsencrypt.conf that is the problem.

--
Retro Guy

[ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight

<u33kuv$121rl$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=342&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#342

From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: [ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 14:22:49 -0500
logging-data="1116021"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 5 May 2023 19:22 UTC

On Fri, 5 May 2023 16:47:01 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:
>
> > In letsencrypt.inc.php this line:
>
> > $letsencrypt['path'] = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/<domain>/";
>
> > refers to a non-existent path. Is there a missing dependency that
> > should create this?
>
> Ok, so far it looks like letsencrypt is appearing in the errors shown.
>
> This file is only needed if you are using a 'letsencrypt' certificate.
> If you are not using one, you can safely delete or rename this file.
>
> If you are using one, the <domain> is what you set up the cert to use.
> For example, my line on novabbs is:
> /etc/letsencrypt/live/news.novabbs.org
> That dir is created when I insall the cert. Inside that dir are my
> keys.
>
> If you rename this file, rslight creates it's own self signed cert
> and should work fine with that. So, if you don't have a letsencrypt
> cert, rename the file so rslight does not try to use it.
>
> php7 seemed to ignore this dir not existing, but php8 does not.
>
> Next:
>
> I found that upgrading to bookworm did not install all the necessary
> packages needed, so I reinstalled them:
>
> apg-get install php sqlite3 php-sqlite php-mbstring sharutils openssl
> php-gnupg libphp-phpmailer php-xml compface php-gd php-fpm
>
> If they're already installed, that's fine. If not, they get installed.
>
> > Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. The php8 branch works
> > with php7.4 running the cron but php8+ cannot run the cron or handle
> > letsencrypt.
>
> > When I run the cron using php7.4, there are no errors. The
> > syncronization is working and the messages are being pulled
> > successfully. The NNTP server works and accepts commands and
> > successfully creates a ssl connection.
>
> I went straight from 7.4 to 8.2, so I don't know how 8.0 handles
> things, but it seems 8.2 catches more errors than 7.4 and possibly
> than 8.0 also.
>
> Note: My last upgrade (www.novabbs.com) worked the very first try,
> but that's because I already experience the errors on previous two
> server upgrades. Hopefully, it's just something not installed, or the
> existence of letsencrypt.conf that is the problem.

[solved]

The cron does not work at all using any version of php8 if I leave the
files untouched. I have neither certbot nor letsencrypt
installed, so there would be no key files there as you pointed out.

As you suggested, if I rename or remove 'letsencrypt.inc.php' then
php8.2 is able to run the cron.php job and successfully synchronizes
with the remote server. I verified that it does create the temporary
keys in the spool directory. This solves all the errors.

There is one more problem which I figured out how to fix. My hosting
panel platform blocks all php import paths outside of the web root. This
means that all kinds of hackety symlinks and permissions have to be
juggled to allow the public_html / webrooted php scripts to access the
ones that go in /etc/ and /var/ or anywhere else on the tree. I figured
out a few hacks to make it work without hacking the web panel templates
(a error-prone process) but I think the average user who is not a hacker
will likely give up. It would be especially bad for anyone using cpanel
/ WHM as there are so many countless hoster configs that narrowing down
fixes would be in some cases very time consuming.

I suggest for their sake, on these web-panel hosting setups, placing
something in debian-install.sh to check the php import path
restrictions on the server, basepath with phpinfo(), check for
mod_rewrite, etc. then automatically create the necessary symlinks and
permissions to the user-chosen config and spool directories to allow
them to circumvent these varying panel restrictions. If the
user chooses a different install path the script would need to check if
it is above or outside the webroot and import_path restriction before
deciding on symlinking and setting permissions.

Such a helper should not be necessary for the BSD installer, because
99.9% of people using BSD are seasoned software and server engineers and
can likely figure it out without help in a jiff and they are probably
not running a control panel or cockpit that would create these problems.

This helper hack prevents the installation from being orthogonal to the
linux and server directory permissions and access control architecture,
which often overlap and are a pain to troubleshoot. For example I am
running apache2 behind nginx as a caching proxy. The caching policy of
nginx conflicts with php.ini and .htaccess directives. The only way to
resolve the conflict is to remove certain filetypes from caching, as
blocking or redirecting them in php or apache2 won't work properly since
nginx reads them and caches them ahead of the rewrite directives engine.

This can be a foot gun situation if installed on any setup other than on
a freshly minted debian server.

It appears everything is running smooth now. Thanks for your help.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: [ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight

<0947f25b4cc011acba9a7fe42283b0a3@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#343

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: [ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 01:39:55 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 6 May 2023 01:39 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2023 16:47:01 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Syber Shock wrote:
>>
>> > In letsencrypt.inc.php this line:
>>
>> > $letsencrypt['path'] = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/<domain>/";
>>
>> > refers to a non-existent path. Is there a missing dependency that
>> > should create this?
>>
>> Ok, so far it looks like letsencrypt is appearing in the errors shown.
>>
>> This file is only needed if you are using a 'letsencrypt' certificate.
>> If you are not using one, you can safely delete or rename this file.
>>
>> If you are using one, the <domain> is what you set up the cert to use.
>> For example, my line on novabbs is:
>> /etc/letsencrypt/live/news.novabbs.org
>> That dir is created when I insall the cert. Inside that dir are my
>> keys.
>>
>> If you rename this file, rslight creates it's own self signed cert
>> and should work fine with that. So, if you don't have a letsencrypt
>> cert, rename the file so rslight does not try to use it.
>>
>> php7 seemed to ignore this dir not existing, but php8 does not.
>>
>> Next:
>>
>> I found that upgrading to bookworm did not install all the necessary
>> packages needed, so I reinstalled them:
>>
>> apg-get install php sqlite3 php-sqlite php-mbstring sharutils openssl
>> php-gnupg libphp-phpmailer php-xml compface php-gd php-fpm
>>
>> If they're already installed, that's fine. If not, they get installed.
>>
>> > Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. The php8 branch works
>> > with php7.4 running the cron but php8+ cannot run the cron or handle
>> > letsencrypt.
>>
>> > When I run the cron using php7.4, there are no errors. The
>> > syncronization is working and the messages are being pulled
>> > successfully. The NNTP server works and accepts commands and
>> > successfully creates a ssl connection.
>>
>> I went straight from 7.4 to 8.2, so I don't know how 8.0 handles
>> things, but it seems 8.2 catches more errors than 7.4 and possibly
>> than 8.0 also.
>>
>> Note: My last upgrade (www.novabbs.com) worked the very first try,
>> but that's because I already experience the errors on previous two
>> server upgrades. Hopefully, it's just something not installed, or the
>> existence of letsencrypt.conf that is the problem.
>>

> [solved]

> The cron does not work at all using any version of php8 if I leave the
> files untouched. I have neither certbot nor letsencrypt
> installed, so there would be no key files there as you pointed out.

> As you suggested, if I rename or remove 'letsencrypt.inc.php' then
> php8.2 is able to run the cron.php job and successfully synchronizes
> with the remote server. I verified that it does create the temporary
> keys in the spool directory. This solves all the errors.

Nice, I'm glad it wasn't more than that.

> There is one more problem which I figured out how to fix. My hosting
> panel platform blocks all php import paths outside of the web root. This
> means that all kinds of hackety symlinks and permissions have to be
> juggled to allow the public_html / webrooted php scripts to access the
> ones that go in /etc/ and /var/ or anywhere else on the tree. I figured
> out a few hacks to make it work without hacking the web panel templates
> (a error-prone process) but I think the average user who is not a hacker
> will likely give up. It would be especially bad for anyone using cpanel
> / WHM as there are so many countless hoster configs that narrowing down
> fixes would be in some cases very time consuming.

> I suggest for their sake, on these web-panel hosting setups, placing
> something in debian-install.sh to check the php import path
> restrictions on the server, basepath with phpinfo(), check for
> mod_rewrite, etc. then automatically create the necessary symlinks and
> permissions to the user-chosen config and spool directories to allow
> them to circumvent these varying panel restrictions. If the
> user chooses a different install path the script would need to check if
> it is above or outside the webroot and import_path restriction before
> deciding on symlinking and setting permissions.

That is helpful info. I have zero experience with cpanel. The most I know
about it is that I've heard of it. It would take a bit of learning to know
how to check for this stuff. I've always worked with just plain command
line stuff, never with an interface like this.

> It appears everything is running smooth now. Thanks for your help.

That's great to hear! Is this your live site? That site does not appear
to be working atm.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: [ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight

<2a0bc1fb12d3aa9cc0f70cec34260a40@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=344&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#344

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 02:04:51 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 6 May 2023 02:04 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:

>> On Fri, 5 May 2023 16:47:01 +0000
>> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>>> Syber Shock wrote:
>>>
>> It appears everything is running smooth now. Thanks for your help.

> That's great to hear! Is this your live site? That site does not appear
> to be working atm.

Looks good now :)

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: [ solved ] Problems upgrading rslight

<af6c7275d005a3a7e2ceb4f2e8535f8a$1@sybershock.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=345&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#345

From: adm...@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 22:26:03 -0500
logging-data="519722"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Sat, 6 May 2023 03:26 UTC

On Sat, 6 May 2023 01:39:55 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> > It appears everything is running smooth now. Thanks for your help.
>
> That's great to hear! Is this your live site? That site does not
> appear to be working atm.

All the testing in this thread was on a different site hidden
from public Internet. The main site runs on the php7 version of rslight.
It was temporarily down several times today since I disabled php7.4 a
few times to test the other on php8. The panel will only let one
version of php run in the backend unless you do some wonky hacking with
config templates which I rather not mess with. One comma out of place
could possibly mess up DNS and mail on the server which would then
prevent me from testing anything remotely until DNS updates world-wide.

I relented to mess with the control panel setup is because it keeps
me from having to manually configure DNS and email servers, which would
be a pain every time I drop or add a domain. Every time I need to
create DNS records I would need to look half of them up to make sure I
am making them right.

With the panel I just enter the domain name and click a button and
all of that configuration is automatically generated and I can view and
verify the DNS and MX records in the web interface. The panel also
maintains a 100% automated TLS certificate system for all sites via
letsencrypt. It also manages clamav and fail2ban with scripted
blacklists of malicious IP addresses that are constantly updated. The
panels also keep the Linux system packages updated, especially when a
vulnerability or critical bug is reported. But it has its quirks, as we
have seen.

There are two free, useful panels that are not cPanel:

HestiaCP - https://hestiacp.com/
VestaCP - http://vestacp.com/

VestaCP now has Softaculous and all the bells and whistles.

Hestia is a fork of Vesta with less bells and whistles and tight
security features. It supports only Debian AFAIK. It is for those who
really know what they are doing and just want to automate the
mind-numbing stuff on their hosts. Technical support is
friendly but reticent because they don't want to spend time teaching
newbies system administration.

All of this can lead to workarounds for installing some applications
because they don't exactly jibe with how the panel configures the Linux
system and web servers.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com