From: trw...@anon.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: bbx is connected to rocksolid2 now
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 23:56:21+0000
logging-data="28079"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: trw - Sat, 2 Jan 2021 23:56 UTC
Attachments: "bbx_on_rs2.jpg" (jpeg)

Meaning, all groupviews and articles are fetched from rocksolid2 now. I did that for testing purposes, but it is working nicely so far. I could keep it that way.
A good (and not intended) side effect is that all groups that rocksolid2 carries are also accessible on def4 now (see screenshot attached).
There is an open question about the load that this puts on the server, and this I cannot answer, only Retro Guy. So if the server logs show some weird stuff or if the load is too heavy, I can switch it back to my own news server.
Currently all requested articles are transmitted only once or twice, then they are cached locally.
Groupviews are cached locally for 5 min, then they are requested again (in case of a user request).
So let me know if that setup if ok for you.

cheers

trw

ps: seeing the screenshot, I also notice that this basically enables posting to the usenet in general (under the account of this node). Good thing I have set up mandatory accounts on def4. Could still be a problem to consider at one point.

--
Posted on def4

Attachments: "bbx_on_rs2.jpg" (jpeg)
Re: bbx is connected to rocksolid2 now

<20210103025243.03d81825@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#338

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: bbx is connected to rocksolid2 now
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 02:52:43 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 3 Jan 2021 09:52 UTC

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 23:56:21+0000
trw <trw@anon.org> wrote:

> Meaning, all groupviews and articles are fetched from rocksolid2 now.
> I did that for testing purposes, but it is working nicely so far. I
> could keep it that way. A good (and not intended) side effect is that
> all groups that rocksolid2 carries are also accessible on def4 now
> (see screenshot attached). There is an open question about the load
> that this puts on the server, and this I cannot answer, only Retro
> Guy. So if the server logs show some weird stuff or if the load is
> too heavy, I can switch it back to my own news server. Currently all
> requested articles are transmitted only once or twice, then they are
> cached locally. Groupviews are cached locally for 5 min, then they
> are requested again (in case of a user request). So let me know if
> that setup if ok for you.

I don't think that should be any problem. rocksolid2 is an inn2 server
and carries around 42,000 groups. If you are not seeing all those
groups, you might be connected to another server. If it's just the
groups you see on rslight.i2p, then it's an rslight server. Either way
is fine.

> ps: seeing the screenshot, I also notice that this basically enables
> posting to the usenet in general (under the account of this node).
> Good thing I have set up mandatory accounts on def4. Could still be a
> problem to consider at one point.

That should be ok. I just ask, as you're already doing, that posts
going outside of rocksolid.* have an authenticated username attached.

Retro Guy

Re: bbx is connected to rocksolid2 now

<na.1065.q4aa4@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#339

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 05:38:45 -0800
logging-data="15484"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 3 Jan 2021 13:38 UTC

>>6452de1802711ca094
>I don't think that should be any problem.

Great.

>rocksolid2 is an inn2 server and carries around
>42,000 groups. If you are not seeing all those
>groups, you might be connected to another
>server.

the server identifies itself as rocksolid2. I am not sure yet if I will actually display on def4 any links or overviews to the groups outside of rocksolid. Maybe later. For now, it will work for anybody who knows how to make it work.

>I just ask, as you're already doing, that posts
>going outside of rocksolid.* have an
>authenticated username attached.

Perfect. So I can leave it like it is. Just let me know if any part of the setup is disturbing.

--
Posted on def2