From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 02:20:59 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 02:20 UTC

Post Office may face £100m tax bill over victim payouts - experts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67964064?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 11:06 PM
It may have underpaid more than £100m in tax while overpaying its senior executives, according to experts.
--------------------
Post Office scandal: Minister says he wants to see those responsible jailed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67962473?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:36 PM
Kevin Hollinrake said that people "must be held to account" over the scandal.
--------------------
Strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen show war in Gaza has already spread
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67955729?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 1:13 PM
War spreading in the Middle East is not just a risk - it has already happened, writes the BBC's international editor.
--------------------
Annie Nightingale: Trailblazing BBC Radio 1 DJ dies at 83
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67955757?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:41 PM
Nightingale was the station's first female presenter and stayed on air for more than 50 years.
--------------------
Donald Trump asked to pay NY Times nearly $400,000 in legal costs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67964672?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:14 PM
The expenses are for a failed lawsuit the former president filed against the paper and its reporters.
--------------------
Shed Seven score first number one album - three decades after debut
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67962485?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 6:47 PM
The York group's chart success coincides with their 30th anniversary.
--------------------
South Africa's genocide case against Israel: Both sides play heavy on emotion in ICJ hearing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67962302?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 8:59 PM
After two days of legal argument, judges must now rule on whether Israel is committing genocide in Gaza.
--------------------
UK weather: Cold blast and more snow in store for some next week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67958376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 2:11 PM
Some of the coldest weather of the winter so far is set to move in with snow for some.
--------------------
Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67950749?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 2:33 AM
Scientists discover a huge, ring-shaped structure in space which questions our ideas of the universe.
--------------------
Reed Wischhusen jailed for planning 'revenge' mass shooting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-67955787?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:56 PM
Reed Wischhusen, who was obsessed with lone gunman attacks, planned to kill his former teachers.
--------------------
Alfie Phillips murder: Life sentence for mum and partner who killed toddler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-67955303?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 2:20 PM
Sian Hedges and Jack Benham killed 18-month-old Alfie Phillips in a caravan in a "frenzied attack".
--------------------
Julia Roberts says she has made the choice not to do nude scenes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67955754?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 11:52 AM
The star says she's chosen "to not take off my clothes in a movie or be vulnerable in physical ways".
--------------------
Annie Nightingale obituary: Innovative DJ who always had the hottest tunes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27506885?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:21 PM
She was the first female presenter on BBC Radio 1 and the station's longest-serving DJ.
--------------------
Quiz of the week: How did Lily Gladstone say thank you for her Golden Globe?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67946687?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:52 AM
How closely have you been paying attention to what has been going on over the past seven days?
--------------------
'I drew abs on my stomach - now I'm a Gladiator'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67930651?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 6:37 AM
Giant, Steel and Nitro are getting ready to compete in the BBC's reboot of the classic show.
--------------------
Donald Trump turns his legal battles into campaign spectacle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67953895?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:10 AM
The former president believes his campaign gets a significant boost every time he is seen in court.
--------------------
David Oyelowo on The After: I had to crack open my heart for this role
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67943787?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 1:54 AM
The actor revisited his grief after losing both his parents by starring in short film The After.
--------------------
I noticed a bulging lump sensation in my vagina
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67748637?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 11:49 AM
When Natashja Wilson noticed symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse she had no idea what was happening.
--------------------
Taiwan election: It's not war young voters worry about - it's jobs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-67945643?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 11:05 PM
With high home prices and stagnant wages, young voters care more about the economy than Beijing's threats.
--------------------
Africa's week in pictures: 5-11 January 2024
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67943831?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:13 AM
A selection of the best photos from the African continent and beyond.
--------------------
Bengaluru: Why English is dividing people in India's Silicon Valley
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67889621?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:20 AM
Kannada-language protesters recently hit the headlines for tearing down English billboards in Bengaluru.
--------------------
Ecuador city tries to return to normal after gang horror
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-67950833?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 10:08 PM
Life is returning to the streets of Guayaquil but the spectre of drug-gang violence remains.
--------------------
Queen's book club pick depicts Charles as hostage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67956602?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:57 PM
The book, about a Parliamentary security breach, is chosen by Camilla for her book club.
--------------------
US election 2024: Can Nikki Haley really stop Donald Trump?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67948573?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:58 AM
She's betting the ex-president is more vulnerable than polls suggest. It’s still a very long shot.
--------------------
Sunak vows that Ukraine will never be alone as he pledges £2.5bn package
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67954152?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 4:03 PM
Rishi Sunak announces the package, the largest since Russia's invasion, on a surprise trip to Kyiv.
--------------------
Government defends £27,000 wine spend during Covid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67952153?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 11:38 AM
The alcohol, stored in a basement in central London, is provided to government guests.
--------------------
Friends scripts found in bin sell for £22,000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67959578?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 2:18 PM
The auction house says the global interest in the scripts was "phenomenal".
--------------------
UK economic growth rebounds in November
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67943106?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:15 AM
Black Friday deals boosted shops and the economy, figures show, but the risk of recession remains.
--------------------
Wolverhampton grandmother’s abusers caught by hidden camera
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67924234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 6:44 PM
Two sisters hid a camera in their grandmother's care home to find out why she was covered in bruises.
--------------------
Massive ancient city found in the Amazon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67940671?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 7:08 PM
The city was built 2,500 years ago but may have been abandoned after a volcanic eruption.
--------------------
Ronnie O'Sullivan calls Masters venue Alexandra Palace 'disgusting' and makes him 'feel ill'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/67955059?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 7:44 AM
Seven-time Masters champion Ronnie O'Sullivan criticises tournament venue Alexandra Palace, saying it is "disgusting" and makes him "feel ill".
--------------------
Public rights of way blocked in 32,000 places
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67937253?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 2:45 AM
Local councils are struggling to clear blockages and obstructions across the public footpath network.
--------------------
Almost half of family courts to allow reporting in England and Wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67940107?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:07 AM
A pilot scheme allowing journalists and bloggers into the courts in England and Wales is being extended.
--------------------
HelloFresh fined over millions of spam texts and emails
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67949521?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:07 AM
The food delivery firm sent 79 million emails and a million texts during a seven-month campaign.
--------------------
Afcon 2023: Senegal defend title as Mohamed Salah eyes win with Egypt
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/67947850?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 5:00 PM
Will it be third time lucky for Mohamed Salah with Egypt, with several contenders for glory at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations?
--------------------
'Disgraceful' or 'correct decision' - should Luton's goal have stood?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67965636?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 11:37 PM
From "truly disgraceful" to "correct decision", Luton's equaliser against fellow strugglers Burnley brought yet more VAR controversy.
--------------------
Tottenham: Ange Postecoglou says his side are 'hanging' in title race
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67962439?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:30 PM
Tottenham boss Ange Postecoglou says his side are "hanging in" the Premier League title race.
--------------------
The Masters: Watch Mark Allen's 'magical' 147 against Mark Selby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/snooker/67965413?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 9:24 PM
Watch as Mark Allen makes a "magical" maximum break of 147 against Mark Selby in the quarter-final match at the Masters.
--------------------
Masters 2024: Mark Allen makes 147 before fighting back to beat Mark Selby and reach semi-finals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/67961335?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 13, 2024, 12:41 AM
Mark Allen makes a superb 147 maximum break and then comes from 4-1 down to beat Mark Selby 6-5 in the quarter-finals of the Masters at Alexandra Palace.
--------------------
Erling Haaland: Injury likely to keep Man City striker out until end of January
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67965252?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:31 PM
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland is likely to be out until the end of January, manager Pep Guardiola says.
--------------------
Emma Finucane and Dan Bigham win gold at track European Championships
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/67964328?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 10:15 PM
Emma Finucane and Dan Bigham win gold for Great Britain on day three of the European Track Cycling Championships.
--------------------
What we know about strikes on Houthis and strategy behind them
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67955727?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 3:20 PM
Everything we know about how and why the US and UK attacked targets in Yemen.
--------------------
Oil prices rise on US-UK strikes over Red Sea attacks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67947795?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 4:33 PM
The UK government has drawn up scenarios suggesting further disruption could hit the economy.
--------------------
Watch: Fighter jets strike targets in Yemen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67955835?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 8:24 AM
Footage from UK and US authorities shows jets launch from Cyprus and a Red Sea carrier.
--------------------
Chris Mason: Landmark moment for Sunak with Yemen strikes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67954031?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 1:02 AM
The PM will face questions about the aim of military action in Yemen, our political editor writes.
--------------------
Who are the Houthis and why are they attacking Red Sea ships?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67614911?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 4:06 AM
The Houthis in Yemen have vowed to attack all ships in the Red Sea bound for Israel.
--------------------
Strikes on Houthis are self-defence, says PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67954799?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 1:39 PM
Rishi Sunak says the action against the Iranian-backed group is "necessary and proportionate".
--------------------
Tony Blair was warned Horizon IT system could be flawed, documents show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67941495?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 6:04 PM
The then-PM was told IT system now at the centre of the Post Office scandal was "possibly unreliable".
--------------------
Post Office lied and threatened BBC over whistleblower
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67884743?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:33 AM
The firm smeared postmasters in a failed bid to suppress evidence of their innocence, the BBC reveals.
--------------------
Hundreds may have repaid Post Office shortfalls, ex-postmaster says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-67950593?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 6:12 AM
Bob Child, who ran a post office in Melbourn, says he paid £600 of his own money to cover shortfall.
--------------------
Ex-postmistress says she 'blames people, not computers'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-67946228?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 8:05 PM
Gail Ward was falsely accused and convicted of stealing more than £12,000 from the Post Office.
--------------------
Post Office scandal explained: What the Horizon saga is all about
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56718036?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 4:06 PM
Hundreds of sub-postmasters were wrongly convicted due to evidence from faulty IT software.
--------------------
Whistleblower testifies in Post Office scandal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67884747?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 12:33 AM
Richard Roll revealed to Panorama in 2015 how Fujitsu could secretly alter sub-postmasters' accounts.
--------------------
How do the Post Office scandal compensation schemes work?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67942935?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 12:27 PM
More than 4,000 people caught up in the Horizon scandal are trying to obtain remuneration for their suffering.
--------------------
Post Office scandal: Investigator denies claims of 'mafia' behaviour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67946140?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 10:35 PM
Stephen Bradshaw comes face to face with sub-postmasters he investigated at the Horizon scandal inquiry.
--------------------
I didn't know about Horizon prosecutions, says Keir Starmer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67950501?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 6:23 PM
The Labour leader says the Crown Prosecution Service he led handled a total of four million cases.
--------------------
Falsely jailed Derbyshire postmaster 'still embarrassed'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-67952405?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 9:00 PM
Harjinder Butoy was falsely convicted of stealing £208,000 in 2007 and was jailed for 18 months.
--------------------
Post Office: Postmaster quit after paying £44k in Horizon scandal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67950118?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 10:50 PM
Cled Jones made the payments after the Post Office insisted he owed them money.
--------------------
Post Office scandal: Prime minister backs calls to knight Alan Bates
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67940590?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2024, 9:22 PM
Alan Bates is said have refused an OBE while ex-Post Office boss Paula Vennells still held a CBE.
--------------------
Lib Dems urge Ofcom to investigate GB News Post Office scandal coverage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67943541?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 10:06 AM
The party complains to regulator Ofcom about alleged bias in coverage of the Post Office IT scandal.
--------------------
Chris Mason: Justice at last, but plenty more questions remain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67942277?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 11:02 AM
Figures across politics will be asked why exoneration for postmasters took so long, our political editor writes.
--------------------
Post Office paid Fujitsu £95m to extend Horizon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67940125?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2024, 12:18 AM
Troubled IT system still creates errors, but its replacement is behind schedule at a cost of millions.
--------------------
Post Office scandal: 'I carried the shame - I refuse to carry it any longer'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67929023?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2024, 1:25 PM
Nine victims of the Post Office Horizon scandal share their stories in a moving BBC Breakfast interview.
--------------------
How TV drama shone light on scandal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67921673?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2024, 10:37 AM
Mr Bates vs The Post Office is not the only TV series to have helped renew public interest in an issue.
--------------------
How does GDP affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13200758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 12, 2024, 8:56 AM
A basic guide to how the health of the economy is measured, and why that calculation matters.
--------------------
National Insurance calculator: What will I pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63635185?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 6, 2024, 1:21 AM
National Insurance rates are falling, but other changes mean many people are paying more tax.
--------------------
Can I get a cold weather payment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55992592?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 9, 2024, 2:01 PM
Cold weather payments are available to some people after seven days of below-zero temperatures.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I am struggling to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 9, 2024, 1:01 PM
Many homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Energy prices: How much will you pay from January?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67489975?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 3, 2024, 2:34 PM
Use our interactive calculator to find out how much more you'll be paying for energy each month.
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 23, 2023, 4:22 PM
Energy prices will be lower this winter than last - but you may be able to save even more on your bill.

Click here to read the complete article