From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 01:36:00 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 01:36 UTC

Queen Margrethe II: Danish monarch announces abdication live on TV
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67854395?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 7:51 PM
Margrethe II, who has reigned for half a century, will step down to be replaced by her son.
--------------------
Justin Welby: Political leaders should treat opponents as human beings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67844356?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:00 AM
The Archbishop of Canterbury urges politicians to "forswear wedge issues" and avoid divisive topics.
--------------------
Cancer: Almost three million tested in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67841348?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:09 AM
Record numbers are being tested for cancer but treatment targets are still being missed in England.
--------------------
Household energy price rise of 5% comes into force
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67785266?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:00 AM
A higher cap for the next three months adds £94 to the typical annual domestic energy bill.
--------------------
Family 'heartbroken' after mother and son die in avalanche
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67853989?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:58 PM
Kate Vokes, 54, and her son Archie, 22, were killed in an avalanche near Mont Blanc in the French Alps.
--------------------
Vladimir Putin makes little mention of Ukraine in new year speech
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67853415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 4:08 PM
The Russian president hailed soldiers as heroes, but didn't directly mention the war in Ukraine.
--------------------
US Navy helicopters destroy Houthi boats in Red Sea after attempted hijack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67851897?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 4:44 PM
The US military says it responded after a vessel came under attack near Yemen twice in 24 hours.
--------------------
Scotland sees in 2024 with fireworks and song
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-67804796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:17 AM
Tens of thousands watch fireworks explode over Edinburgh's skyline as a New Year begins.
--------------------
Singer Lewis Capaldi extends tour break after health improves
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67853877?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:15 PM
The singer said he was working to improve symptoms caused by Tourette's Syndrome and anxiety.
--------------------
Luke Littler v Brendan Dolan: Teenager 'daring to dream' of World Championship glory
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/67853905?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 4:02 PM
Luke Littler says he is "daring to dream" of winning the PDC World Darts Championship as the 16-year-old prepares to face Northern Ireland's Brendan Dolan in the quarter-finals.
--------------------
Spanish football fan held in Tehran released, Iran says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67854444?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 7:19 PM
Santiago Sánchez was detained during a trek in 2022 to the men's football World Cup in Qatar.
--------------------
Hogmanay fireworks see in new year in Edinburgh
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67854633?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:37 AM
Tens of thousands of revellers have taken part in the celebrations.
--------------------
The Papers: UK 'ready to attack Houthis' and plan for passport-free travel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-67855134?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:42 PM
The lead stories include a UK vow to repel Houthi Red Sea attacks and bring in passport-free travel plans.
--------------------
'I was a gambling addict who stole £1.3m and went to prison'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-67503468?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:29 AM
Andy May, who has just got out of prison, wants to help other people with gambling addictions.
--------------------
BBC Sound Of 2024: Soul sensation Elmiene kicks off the countdown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67695420?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:18 AM
Velvety smooth vocals and unabashedly intimate songs make the Oxford crooner one to watch in 2024.
--------------------
Who is Frederik, the next king of Denmark once nicknamed 'Pingo'?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67855112?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:04 PM
"I don't want to lock myself in a fortress. I want to be myself," Crown Prince Frederik once said.
--------------------
Queen Margrethe II: Danish monarch's 52-year reign in pictures
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-67853397?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 8:44 PM
83-year-old Margrethe II is Europe's longest-serving living monarch, having taken the throne in 1972.
--------------------
Post Office scandal TV drama 'like a dream' say victims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67806869?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2024, 12:19 AM
Horizon victims hope a new mini-series will give their story the "oxygen it deserves".
--------------------
Brics: What is the group and which countries are joining?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66525474?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 29, 2023, 4:22 PM
Brics aims to give emerging nations more power in world affairs, and more countries are joining.
--------------------
Kiri Pritchard-Mclean and Rachel Fairburn talk serial killers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67696195?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 9:53 PM
Kiri Pritchard-McLean and Rachel Fairburn share an interested in all things strange and macabre.
--------------------
Inside Russia as war in Ukraine grinds into new year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67843830?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 12:13 AM
The BBC's Steve Rosenberg looks at life in a town near Moscow, and asks residents about the war.
--------------------
Tom Wilkinson's career in pictures: The Full Monty, Shakespeare in Love, Rush Hour and more
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65891396?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 30, 2023, 5:14 PM
His credits ranged from British films like The Full Monty to Hollywood hits like Rush Hour.
--------------------
New Year celebrations: How the world is welcoming 2024
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67854630?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:22 PM
People around the world gather to celebrate the new year, with fireworks shows in major cities.
--------------------
Mason: Get ready - general election talk will dominate 2024
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67771076?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 12:23 AM
A new year, and all the political parties are focusing their planning and attention on the polls ahead.
--------------------
Venice to ban large tourist groups and loudspeakers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67851201?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:21 AM
The new rules will come into effect in June and are part of an effort to ease the impact of tourism.
--------------------
Kai Zhuang: Police in Utah say student feared kidnapped may be 'camping'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67854112?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 3:55 PM
Police in Utah initially feared that missing Chinese student Kai Zhuang, 17, had been kidnapped.
--------------------
DR Congo election: President Felix Tshisekedi declared landslide winner
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67850563?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 4:18 PM
Officials say Félix Tshisekedi wins a landslide 73% of the vote, while the opposition calls for a rerun.
--------------------
Vogue model Ellie Goldstein: 'Doctors said I wouldn't walk or talk'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-67613146?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 12:33 AM
Model Ellie Goldstein, who has Down's syndrome, says people should never give up on their dreams.
--------------------
Dominic Cummings: Sunak wanted me to secretly work on election strategy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67851985?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 2:40 PM
Rishi Sunak twice met the former No 10 adviser to discuss campaigns, Downing Street says.
--------------------
Benjamin Kiplagat: Ugandan athlete stabbed to death in Kenya - reports
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67853338?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:15 PM
Benjamin Kiplagat, 34, reached the semi-finals of the 2012 London Olympics in the 3,000m steeplechase.
--------------------
Midlands pub closes after fifth flooding
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-67854324?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 6:22 PM
Staff cancel the bookings of around 200 customers as the pub shuts for the foreseeable future.
--------------------
Eurostar services resume after major disruption
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67851052?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:09 PM
Many passengers are still stranded in London and Paris after flooding cancelled all Eurostar trains.
--------------------
John Pilger: Campaigning Australian journalist dies
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67853392?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 3:29 PM
Also a filmmaker, he was a vocal critic of Western foreign policy throughout his career.
--------------------
Nigel Lythgoe denies abusing Paula Abdul as sexual assault lawsuit looms
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67848608?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 2:14 PM
The American singer alleges multiple instances of assault while the pair worked together, which Mr Lythgoe denies.
--------------------
American bully XL dogs must be kept on a lead and muzzled in public
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67851343?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:21 AM
Under new rules, owners of the breed must also ensure their dog is muzzled in public.
--------------------
Fulham 2-1 Arsenal: 'Lost' Gunners 'need a new striker' in January transfer window
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67854364?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 6:43 PM
After Arsenal's 2-1 defeat at Fulham, manager Mikel Arteta claimed they would not need new signings in January. The truth may be quite different.
--------------------
Spurs 'show a bit of everything' to beat Bournemouth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67814390?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:14 PM
Tottenham finish 2023 on a high with victory over Bournemouth in the Premier League at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
--------------------
Premiership: Leicester 35-22 Bath - Tigers end year with bonus-point win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67843734?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 5:32 PM
Leicester end 2023 by beating a much-changed Bath side, who miss the chance to go top of the Premiership.
--------------------
January transfer window: Who could be on the move?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67722978?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 10:00 PM
The January transfer window is open and several players have been linked with a move to and from Premier League clubs.
--------------------
Match of the Day 2 analysis: What's wrong at Arsenal?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67854563?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:32 PM
Match of the Day 2 pundits Nedum Onuoha and Paul Robinson analyse how Fulham stopped Arsenal from going top of the Premier League.
--------------------
Match of the Day 2 Good 2 Bad: Mauricio Pochettino, silky skills and ponchos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67854913?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 11:31 PM
Watch 2 Good 2 Bad from Match of the Day 2, featuring some silky skills, poncho problems and a "mickey-taking mouse".
--------------------
United Cup: Katie Boulter beats Jessica Pegula in GB defeat by US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67851879?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 31, 2023, 9:54 AM
GB's Katie Boulter records the best win of her career by beating American world number five Jessica Pegula at the United Cup in Perth.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Energy prices: How much will you pay from January?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67489975?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 24, 2023, 10:59 AM
Use our interactive calculator to find out how much more you'll be paying for energy each month.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 29, 2023, 3:53 PM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
The best way to de-ice a car and other winter tips
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63888234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 3, 2023, 8:21 AM
Much of the UK is facing another cold snap amid rising fuel costs.
--------------------
How to save money even when the budget is tight
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66855566?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 23, 2023, 11:19 PM
The interest paid on savings is better than anything seen for years, so how can you save when bills are rising?
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: What are they, who gets them and are they fair?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2023, 12:26 AM
Millions of low-income households will receive a final cost-of-living payment in February.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Buy now, pay later: Things you need to know about the loan schemes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63910427?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 26, 2022, 12:22 AM
With the winter sales season in full swing here's what you need to know before borrowing money.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 23, 2023, 9:35 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Debt: What should I pay first and what can I do?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 25, 2023, 11:59 AM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
What a falling inflation rate means for your finances
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67426526?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 16, 2023, 5:15 PM
Falling inflation and rising wages ease cost of living pressures for some, but money is still very tight.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 23, 2023, 4:22 PM
Energy prices will be lower this winter than last - but you may be able to save even more on your bill.

Click here to read the complete article