Subject: Leaked documents from German secret service BND claim tor is badly compromised
From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 13:45 UTC
From: anonym...@def.i2p (anonymous)
To: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 13:45:56 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
View all headers
https://netzpolitik.org/2017/secret-documents-reveal-german-foreign-spy-agency-bnd-attacks-the-anonymity-network-tor-and-advises-not-to-use-it/

While this would not be new for tor hidden services, which are clearly not anonymous, and never have been, it would be really bad news if a large number of tor users could be unmasked while doing normal browsing with TBB. However, the attacks described are mentioned already in the tor design papers and work on any low latency network. So it is unclear what the actual fallout is in this case (could be even black propaganda to scare people away from using tor).
What was surprising for me browsing through this info is the low number of estimated tor users: only 200.000, while I was assuming several million.   Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:09 UTC
From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: anonymous
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:09:48 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
On 09/15/2017 06:45 AM, anonymous wrote:
https://netzpolitik.org/2017/secret-documents-reveal-german-foreign-spy-agency-bnd-attacks-the-anonymity-network-tor-and-advises-not-to-use-it/

While this would not be new for tor hidden services, which are clearly
not anonymous, and never have been, it would be really bad news if a
large number of tor users could be unmasked while doing normal browsing
with TBB. However, the attacks described are mentioned already in the
tor design papers and work on any low latency network. So it is unclear
what the actual fallout is in this case (could be even black propaganda
to scare people away from using tor).
What was surprising for me browsing through this info is the low number
of estimated tor users: only 200.000, while I was assuming several
million.   Posted by:anonymous <anonymous@def.i2p>

I'm seeing stuff like this:

https://darkwebnews.com/dark-web/tor-facebook-users/
"the number of Facebook users who utilize the Tor browser to access their accounts via the Dark Web is currently at 1 million per month."

This site: https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html
shows over 2,000,000 tor users.

What doesn't surprise me is this:
"the NSA monitors all internet users who visit the Tor website, use the Tor software, or simply search for Tor"

That has to be pretty boring as, contrary to publicly (created) opinion, most Tor users are not terrorists or scary criminals.

The statement, which I have heard people say to me many times, "I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care if they're watching me," I find quite sad.