From: dar...@m.x (DarkMX)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: DarkMX --> WinMX via Anonymous Onion Network
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 02:03:22 -0500
 by: DarkMX - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 07:03 UTC

If you liked WinMX, a sharing app used by millions you will love DarkMX.

Copypasta -->

DarkMX is a new decentralized communication app that utilizes Tor hidden
services to allow you to easily have an anonymous, reliable, and
censorship-resistant presence on the internet.

You can chat.
You can share files.
You can search other people's files.
You can keep a contact list and send private messages to your friends.
You can create your own custom .onion site, available to anyone with a
Tor Browser.

Incoming ports or UPNP mappings are not needed.
Firewall exceptions are not needed.
No .NET or Java dependencies.
Linux and Windows builds.
Stand-alone operation.

This app was created by Kevin Hearn, the same developer who brought you
Tixati, Fopnu, Super Simple Server, and WinMX.

https://darkmx.app/

Re: DarkMX --> WinMX via Anonymous Onion Network

<060c1bfbe478d4403c3b791fcd55c738@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=245&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#245

From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: Re: DarkMX --> WinMX via Anonymous Onion Network
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:23:24 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:23 UTC

Hiya, thanks for posting this.

I downloaded the deb package and installed on a vm, here comes a quick feedback:

-the app depends on gtk2.0, current version 4.0, methinks this should be fixed
-however, the installation also finished with the current version of gtk
-the gui is nice imo, easy handling
-connection to an external tor instance did not work out of the box, maybe I did something wrong
-at the moment I don't trust the app enough to let it handle the tor connections itself

All in all, it seems to me like a nicer version of torchat, I will play more with that in the future.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: DarkMX --> WinMX via Anonymous Onion Network

<5817984c6dc9e7601d3bbade8714227c@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=246&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#246

From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 03:43:00 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 03:43 UTC

been using tixati for a few years now. never used the other programmes but tixati is well made and high quality. can recommend

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: DarkMX --> WinMX via Anonymous Onion Network

<tmq335$es99$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=247&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#247

From: tru...@verify.invalid (Trust then Verify)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 07:06:09 -0600
 by: Trust then Verify - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:06 UTC

On 7/24/22 09:23, Anonymous wrote:
> Hiya, thanks for posting this.
>
> I downloaded the deb package and installed on a vm, here comes a quick
> feedback:
>
> -the app depends on gtk2.0, current version 4.0, methinks this should be
> fixed
> -however, the installation also finished with the current version of gtk
> -the gui is nice imo, easy handling
> -connection to an external tor instance did not work out of the box,
> maybe I did something wrong
> -at the moment I don't trust the app enough to let it handle the tor
> connections itself
>
> All in all, it seems to me like a nicer version of torchat, I will play
> more with that in the future.

I never trust ANY application that can connect to the network. I won't
even trust the applications distributed in Linux repositories.

You can sandbox any app with firejail, or run it in a container, or set
up KVM, or run it with Debian jailkit. I use these solutions depending
on what the application does.

Another thing I do is disable all clipboard access for almost
everything. This is especially important if you use a password manager
that copies to the clipboard. In jails it is best to have no clipboard
access and type the password manually for remote services.

You can run different configurations of a web browser in different jails
and containers.

Never trust anything! Package maintainers do not have time to vet every
line of code, and that is if you trust your package maintainer!

DarkMX is worthy of use if sandboxed. It does have a helluva slick UI.

--

Trust then Verify