From: 388...@sugar.bug (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: How to prohibit cross-posting with RSLite?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:36:51 -0500
logging-data="20159"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: sugarbug - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:36 UTC

How to prohibit ALL client cross-posting?

Restrict posting only to one newsgroup per message, both when
using news reader clients and when using web front end.

Also want to ensure RSLite install does not try to sync with any other
servers or respond to them if found.

Is hidden manual / how-to somewhere? Link?

Re: How to prohibit cross-posting with RSLite?

<bf1b71f67f8f361fb13dfef2bbdbcef1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=233&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#233

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: How to prohibit cross-posting with RSLite?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:51:53 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:51 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> How to prohibit ALL client cross-posting?

That would take some code changes. How would you propose to handle
replies to cross-posted messages?

BTW, I'm working on a bug in cross-posting atm. Not fixed, but it
is something I'm working on, making sure replies are cross-posted
properly.

> Restrict posting only to one newsgroup per message, both when
> using news reader clients and when using web front end.

Again, that can be done with some code changes, and would require
connecting your newsreader to the rslight NNTP server, not INN2.
The rslight NNTP server works reasonably well with most clients
I've tested.

> Also want to ensure RSLite install does not try to sync with any other
> servers or respond to them if found.

There is a setting in config to specify remote server. Leave that empty
and rslight has no target to connect to at all for sync.

--
Retro Guy

Re: How to prohibit cross-posting with RSLite?

<tulf5l$r63$1@novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=234&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#234

From: 388...@sugar.bug (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:11:22 -0500
logging-data="27843"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: sugarbug - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:11 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:51:53 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> sugarbug wrote:
>
> > How to prohibit ALL client cross-posting?
>
> That would take some code changes. How would you propose to handle
> replies to cross-posted messages?

To handle cross-post attempts I would want it to reject them with a
message that says, "Only one group allowed in Newsgroups," or "Follow up
or post to only one group per message allowed." Since it is a private,
hidden server, no cross-posted messages should be feeding in to make
this a common event (hopefully) with follow-up messages.

Is there line in the code where I can code in a hook to pass this off to
one of my own python scripts then return the message to execution in
your PHP program? I'm not too savvy with PHP (except for hacking
Wordpress), or I would try to figure it out myself. If I can put a hook
in the right place to my script, then maybe I could parse the message
headers and return the appropriate values to the RSLite program.
> BTW, I'm working on a bug in cross-posting atm. Not fixed, but it
> is something I'm working on, making sure replies are cross-posted
> properly.
>
> > Restrict posting only to one newsgroup per message, both when
> > using news reader clients and when using web front end.
>
> Again, that can be done with some code changes, and would require
> connecting your newsreader to the rslight NNTP server, not INN2.
> The rslight NNTP server works reasonably well with most clients
> I've tested.

RSLite looks simpler and more hackable than INN2. INN2 is a strange
beast with an enormous learning curve. It seems like overkill for a
private NNTP server. After figuring out how to set it up and test it,
and seeing RSLite has a web portal, I decided the latter will do.

> > Also want to ensure RSLite install does not try to sync with any
> > other servers or respond to them if found.
>
> There is a setting in config to specify remote server. Leave that
> empty and rslight has no target to connect to at all for sync.

If another RSLite instance reaches out to mine, will it inadvertently
sync, or will leaving this setting empty also prevent that?