Tomorrow's computers some time next month. -- DEC

computers / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

SubjectAuthor
* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Anonymous
+* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?William Stickers
|`* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Anonymous
| +* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?William Stickers
| |`- Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Troll Alert
| `- Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?hooty
`* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Retro Guy
 +- Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Anonymous
 +- Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?sugarbug
 `* Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?sugarbug
  `- Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?Retro Guy

1
Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<ttuhre$2s1p$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=217&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#217

From: anonym...@anonymous.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:38:52 -0600
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 04:38 UTC

I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin does
not respond. No idea what is the problem.

Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone mysteriously
silent like AIOE and Mixmin?

Is anyone else having problems with authentication?

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<OuDML.917791$MVg8.17286@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=218&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#218

From: bill.sti...@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 08:41:17 -0000
 by: William Stickers - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 08:41 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
> rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin does
> not respond. No idea what is the problem.
>
> Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone mysteriously
> silent like AIOE and Mixmin?
>
> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?

Yes.
Use a different server.

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<ttv32m$1al$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=219&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#219

From: anonym...@anonymous.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 03:32:54 -0600
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 09:32 UTC

On 3/4/23 02:41, William Stickers wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
>>
>> I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
>> rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin does
>> not respond. No idea what is the problem.
>>
>> Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone mysteriously
>> silent like AIOE and Mixmin?
>>
>> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?
>
> Yes.
> Use a different server.

What is the source of your info? Something more than monosyllabic grunt
would be useful.

Why are all these NNTP admins and servers suddenly going offline and
incommunicado?

Every administrator who does not come forward and make a public
statement is hiding something, and is suspect of dishonesty. I am
getting close to bringing in some researchers to find out what is really
going on.

So, why is this all happening at once? Why is access to Usenet being cut
off? Why are the administrators being eerily silent about it?

Did someone post something that frightened the cyber Pope of Usenet?

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<5TEML.917796$MVg8.164955@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=220&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#220

From: bill.sti...@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:15:28 -0000
 by: William Stickers - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:15 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> On 3/4/23 02:41, William Stickers wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:
> >>
> >> I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
> >> rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin does
> >> not respond. No idea what is the problem.
> >>
> >> Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone mysteriously
> >> silent like AIOE and Mixmin?
> >>
> >> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?
> >
> > Yes.
> > Use a different server.
>
> What is the source of your info? Something more than monosyllabic grunt
> would be useful.
>
> Why are all these NNTP admins and servers suddenly going offline and
> incommunicado?
>
> Every administrator who does not come forward and make a public
> statement is hiding something, and is suspect of dishonesty. I am
> getting close to bringing in some researchers to find out what is really
> going on.
>
> So, why is this all happening at once? Why is access to Usenet being cut
> off? Why are the administrators being eerily silent about it?
>
> Did someone post something that frightened the cyber Pope of Usenet?

They all hate you, you freeloading ponce.
HTH.

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<643d34d9da9c3c06c9313671a5855fd9@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=222&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#222

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:48:08 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:48 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
> rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin does
> not respond. No idea what is the problem.

See my other reply to you.

> Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone mysteriously
> silent like AIOE and Mixmin?

Nntp not disabled. I don't know where other admins have gone, but I'm recovering
from a very major surgery after spending 2 months in hospital. I sleep more than
I type right now.

> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?

If people are, please let me know.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<tu33c9$c4o$1@toxic.dizum.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=224&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#224

From: hoo...@live.com (hooty)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:59:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: hooty - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 21:59 UTC

On 04 Mar 2023, Anonymous <anonymous@anonymous.invalid> posted some

> On 3/4/23 02:41, William Stickers wrote:
>> Anonymous wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
>>> rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin
>>> does not respond. No idea what is the problem.
>>>
>>> Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone
>>> mysteriously silent like AIOE and Mixmin?
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?
>>
>> Yes.
>> Use a different server.
>
> What is the source of your info? Something more than monosyllabic
> grunt would be useful.
>
> Why are all these NNTP admins and servers suddenly going offline and
> incommunicado?

grunt whine jolly kone parking lot Lane Bryant returns

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<tuc8vf$1ff4$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=226&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#226

From: anonym...@example.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.free.newsservers,rocksolid.nodes.help,rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:30:21 -0600
logging-data="48612"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@cyber23.de"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:30 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 20:50:00 +1300
Peter Moylan <peter@moylan.invalid> wrote:

> On 05/03/23 09:48, Retro Guy wrote:
>
> >> Is anyone else having problems with authentication?
> >
> > If people are, please let me know.
>
> Step 1 I received an authentication email which said the following.
> From: RetroBBS Registration <admin@rocksolidbbs.com>
> Subject: Confirmation code for rocksolidbbs.com
> To: myemail@mail.com
>
> A request to create an account on rocksolidbbs.com has been made
> using myemail@server.com.
> If you did not request this, please ignore and the request will fail.
> This is your account creation code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Note: replies to this email address are checked daily.
>
> Step 2 I went to https://rocksolidbbs.com/common/register.php
> to create the account.
> Username: myemail
> Email: myemail@mail.com
> Password: MyPassword
> Re-enter Password: MyPassword
>
> Step 3 I set up my newsreader for
> server:port = news.novabbs.org:119
> username = myemail
> password = MyPassword
> That failed.
> Posting article failed: Authentication failed; (news.novabbs.org)
> (Finished)
>
> I switched it to news.novabbs.org:563. That failed also.
> Posting article failed: Authentication failed; (news.novabbs.org)
> (Finished)
>
> Guessing at rocksolidbbs.com:119 & rocksolidbbs.com:563. Both failed.
> Posting article failed: Authentication failed; (rocksolidbbs.com)
> (Finished)
>
> What is the correct server:port to set up a typical newsreader?
> (Paganini doesn't carry the rocksolid hierarchy so it was removed.)

I was able to replicate these errors. The signup is a snap. But then
authentication repeatedly fails. It is impossible to post to any of the
rocksolid servers provided on the nodes page.

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<tuc9bg$1ff4$2@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=227&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#227

From: sugarbug...@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:36:46 -0600
logging-data="48612"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@cyber23.de"
 by: sugarbug - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:36 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 20:48:08 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>
> > I can't post to the rocksolid / novabbs server. Authentication is
> > rejected. Error 480 on both the clearnet and tor addresses. Admin
> > does not respond. No idea what is the problem.
>
> See my other reply to you.
>
> > Has the admin disabled posting via NNTP? Has the admin gone
> > mysteriously silent like AIOE and Mixmin?
>
> Nntp not disabled. I don't know where other admins have gone, but I'm
> recovering from a very major surgery after spending 2 months in
> hospital. I sleep more than I type right now.
>
> > Is anyone else having problems with authentication?
>
> If people are, please let me know.

I got the same errors that others are getting for 480 Authentication.

Authentication fails in every case at all the server addresses listed
on the site.

Please advise what I need to try next.

--

sugarbug

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<tuc9ss$1ff4$3@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=228&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#228

From: tro...@alert.invalid (Troll Alert)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help,alt.free.newsservers
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:46:02 -0600
logging-data="48612"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@cyber23.de"
 by: Troll Alert - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:46 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:15:28 -0000
William Stickers <bill.stickers@innocent.com> wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:

> > > Yes.
> > > Use a different server.
> >
> > What is the source of your info? Something more than monosyllabic
> > grunt would be useful.
> >
> > Why are all these NNTP admins and servers suddenly going offline
> > and incommunicado?
> >
> > Every administrator who does not come forward and make a public
> > statement is hiding something, and is suspect of dishonesty. I am
> > getting close to bringing in some researchers to find out what is
> > really going on.
> >
> > So, why is this all happening at once? Why is access to Usenet
> > being cut off? Why are the administrators being eerily silent about
> > it?
> >
> > Did someone post something that frightened the cyber Pope of
> > Usenet?
>
> They all hate you, you freeloading ponce.
> HTH.

👾 👿 💀 👽 👻 👺 👹
❗ TROLL ALERT
❎ TROLL DETECTED
💩 TYPE: PSEUDONYMOUS HATE TROLL
👿 TACTIC: NOBODY LIKES YOU BARB
⛔ WARNING: DO NOT FEED!

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<tue5rg$25ke$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=230&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#230

From: sugarbug...@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 20:49:17 -0600
 by: sugarbug - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 02:49 UTC

On 3/9/23 15:36, Retro Guy wrote:
> Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> If people are, please let me know.
>
>> Step 1  I received an authentication email which said the following.
>>  From: RetroBBS Registration <admin@rocksolidbbs.com>
>>  Subject: Confirmation code for rocksolidbbs.com
>>  To: myemail@mail.com
>
>>  A request to create an account on rocksolidbbs.com has been made using
>>  myemail@server.com.
>>  If you did not request this, please ignore and the request will fail.
>>  This is your account creation code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>  Note: replies to this email address are checked daily.
>
>> Step 2  I went to https://rocksolidbbs.com/common/register.php
>> to create the account.
>>  Username: myemail
>>  Email: myemail@mail.com
>>  Password: MyPassword
>>  Re-enter Password: MyPassword
>
>> Step 3 I set up my newsreader for server:port = news.novabbs.org:119
>> username = myemail
>> password = MyPassword
>> That failed.
>> Posting article failed: Authentication failed; (news.novabbs.org)
>> (Finished)
>
> To authenticate with novabbs.org nntp server, you must create the
> account on news.novabbs.org or rslight.i2p or
> fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>
> rocksolidbbs.com is a different server to novabbs.org. Accounts on one
> site do
> not apply to another site.

That works.

So far I gather that the user must create the account on novabbs.org to
post via the news.novabbs.org NNTP server. Does this mean accounts
created at rocksolidbbs.com cannot post?

I created accounts at both novabbs.org and rocksolidbbs.com.

I was not able to authenticate at rocksolidbbs.com:119. I am unsure what
that is. I assume that is not actually a regular NNTP server, but rather
a BBS news feed.

Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?

<5210a14d3d908b529672cf4f2b361ba1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=231&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#231

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 23:06:15 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 23:06 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> On 3/9/23 15:36, Retro Guy wrote:
>> Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Step 3 I set up my newsreader for server:port = news.novabbs.org:119
>>> username = myemail
>>> password = MyPassword
>>> That failed.
>>> Posting article failed: Authentication failed; (news.novabbs.org)
>>> (Finished)
>>
>> To authenticate with novabbs.org nntp server, you must create the
>> account on news.novabbs.org or rslight.i2p or
>> fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion
>>
>> rocksolidbbs.com is a different server to novabbs.org. Accounts on one
>> site do
>> not apply to another site.

> That works.

Very nice!

> So far I gather that the user must create the account on novabbs.org to
> post via the news.novabbs.org NNTP server. Does this mean accounts
> created at rocksolidbbs.com cannot post?

That is correct. Only accounts created on novabbs.org can authenticate with
the news server on novabbs.org.

> I created accounts at both novabbs.org and rocksolidbbs.com.

> I was not able to authenticate at rocksolidbbs.com:119. I am unsure what
> that is. I assume that is not actually a regular NNTP server, but rather
> a BBS news feed.

Correct again. rocksolidbbs.com:119 is a Synchronet BBS NNTP server. It's
not really meant to be used by other than the retrobbs web interface, maybe
I should close the port to clearnet to avoid confusion.

--
Retro Guy