Felson's Law: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

computers / rocksolid.nodes.announce / def2 is unstable for the time being

SubjectAuthor
* def2.i2p moving to vichanAnonymous
+- so many bot requestsAnonymous
+- oh, and another thingAnonymous
+- this will take some more work to get it doneAnonymous
+- def2 is unstable for the time beingAnonymous
+* maximum file sizeAnonymous
|`- maximum file sizeRetro Guy
+- also added a footerAnonymous
+* ok switching vichan back onAnonymous
|`- ok switching vichan back onRetro Guy
+- Global varsAnonymous
+- def2 is fully switched to vichan nowAnonymous
`- def2.i2p moving to vichananon

1
def2.i2p moving to vichan

<na.220.3vqavx@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=167&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#167

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: def2.i2p moving to vichan
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 06:13:45 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 27 May 2020 13:13 UTC
Attachments: "bg_jyc_new.png"; name="attachment" (image/png)

so, after some hours on the keyboard and some trial and error, i got a basic setup of vichan working together with rslight, so that they exchange messages in a meaningful way.
time to switch...
some explanations and remarks on this:

-the vichan interface will only be reachable under def2.i2p, not the tor address, at least for a while. i want to get some experience with this before i subject to the rough world of onions :-).
-the interface is new - the content is still the same. so just because this is an image board software, does not mean that we have a lot of images all of a sudden, or imageboard typical content. you might of course change this.
-also the rules for moderation have not changed - keep the pepe-the-frog memes, the "jews-did-it" and "nigga u r gay" bits to yourself, they are not welcome here and will be instantly deleted (thanks to the nice mod interface of vichan). Same goes for cp of any kind, and of course the other typical stuff (drugs, weapons, hitmen, cc, hacking as a service and so on).
-there _is_ a change in my attitude to js: this interface makes heavy use of it, and although you can use it without, you will miss some of the nicer features. so i still don't encourage you to have js switched on in general, but i have to admit that this sites setup encourages it (sigh).
-this is all still kind of beta, so if you find something not working, please report it and i will try to fix it.
-if you would like to see any plugin or feature enabled, drop me a line in this thread and i will look into it (no promises, though, some of the stuff is just ugly and/or bloatware).

enjoy,

trw

Attachments:
so many bot requests

<na.222.15apv6@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=169&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#169

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: so many bot requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:02:26 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 27 May 2020 16:02 UTC

the first effect from switching is that I see now how many bot requests I get on def2.i2p, apparently just scanning fixed addresses. some misconfigured search engine, most like.

oh, and another thing

<na.224.1ild3l@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=171&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#171

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: oh, and another thing
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:49:32 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 27 May 2020 21:49 UTC

i forgot to mention earlier: the dates of the messages are the dates of import, so it will be correct (or near correct) for new messages, but not corrent for the older ones. the order of the messages is preserved though, so you the oldest where you would expect them, at the end.

cheers

trw

this will take some more work to get it done

<na.240.49wtgz@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#186

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: this will take some more work to get it done
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 12:18:11 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 28 May 2020 19:18 UTC
Attachments: "sceptic.png"; name="attachment" (image/png)

at least in a good way :-)

Attachments:
def2 is unstable for the time being

<na.253.1zumfn@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#198

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: def2 is unstable for the time being
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:10:57 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 31 May 2020 13:10 UTC

partly linked to the new surface, partly to some sync problems.
users are advised to use another node until this is straightened out.

working on it,

cheers

trw

maximum file size

<na.264.452q2j@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=208&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#208

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: maximum file size
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 12:09:37 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 19:09 UTC

max file size on def2.i2p is set to 450 kb for the time being.
this is mostly to stay compatible with the rest of the rocksolid setup (some messages with bigger content have not been forwarded but silently dropped).
added ability to post text and zip files.
the syncing problems seems mostly solved by now, let's see if it stays stable.

cheers

trw
Posted on def2.i2p

also added a footer

<na.265.p9feb@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=209&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#209

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: also added a footer
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 12:12:00 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 19:12 UTC

that will show once it is synced (so not on the side itself).
Posted on def2.i2p

Re: maximum file size

<cdf76f23a965947aed2ba654d6d3a35f$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=215&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#215

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: maximum file size
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:17 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:17 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> max file size on def2.i2p is set to 450 kb for the time being.
> this is mostly to stay compatible with the rest of the rocksolid setup (some messages with bigger content have not been forwarded but silently dropped).
> added ability to post text and zip files.
> the syncing problems seems mostly solved by now, let's see if it stays stable.

My inn servers are set for 1M max size (default). Most of my usenet peers restrict incoming messaages anywhere from 32k (aioe) to 128k. Most messages larger than that won't propagate out of our network (which is ok, just making it known).

The size of a message is the actual size. As files take up more space when encoded for transport, and there are headers, etc., the size of the attachment would end up needing to be smaller to keep the messasge size within limits.

rslight does not limit message size, but I probably will add such a config option in the future. Most likely to match the 1M of the inn servers.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

ok switching vichan back on

<na.532.24r18w@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=237&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#237

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: ok switching vichan back on
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 11:02:40 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 6 Jun 2020 18:02 UTC

rslight is still working with the new solution, no so reason not to. still only i2p so far.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2.i2p

Re: ok switching vichan back on

<76e848a29092ed43651738162e18f42a$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=238&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#238

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: ok switching vichan back on
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 02:02 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 7 Jun 2020 02:02 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> rslight is still working with the new solution, no so reason not to. still only i2p so far.

I believe there was a problem with global variables (I use way too many of them). It's possible we were changing a value where we really didn't want to do that, and it was messing up rslight.

If we don't source code from the rslight tree, it should be fine. If you need a function from rslight, just copy it and take it, running it separately from the rslight install.

Of course, we don't want to write to /var/spool/rslight at all from outside rslight stuff. If another spool is needed for something, we just create that.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Global vars

<na.541.ueqd9@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=246&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#246

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Global vars
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 06:27:55 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 7 Jun 2020 13:27 UTC

>I believe there was a problem with global variables (I use way too many of them).

I just read up now about global vars and why it is (apparently) a bad idea to use them.
Never used them myself, but just because the code and tutorials I used to learn me some php did not use them (so more by chance, really).
Can understand though why you would use them, because they are really convenient.

--
Posted on def2.i2p

def2 is fully switched to vichan now

<na.542.7sqlq@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=247&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#247

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: def2 is fully switched to vichan now
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 12:49:08 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 7 Jun 2020 19:49 UTC

a little earlier than planned initially, but everything seems to be working fine, so what the heck.
if you prefer the rslight surface, please have a look at the other nodes (./nodes/html).

any feedback on the new surface is appreciated, especially bug reports.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: def2.i2p moving to vichan

<96f4584ea142c2cec5d3e71043e91860@def4>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=250&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#250

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: def2.i2p moving to vichan
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 18:37:32+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 15 Jun 2020 18:37 UTC

def2 is trashed for the time being, broken threads, threads mixed together, missing messages. guess i have played with this too much and broke something in the db. will reinstall on the weekend, please use another node during this time.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4