Subject: how to break a site
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 03:36 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 03:36:37 +0000
View all headers
oops, don't upgrade a site with an outdated zip file by mistake (or on purpose), it makes a mess!

Anyway, I did that on one of my rslight sites today and it took me an hour to fix it, lol. The import script saved the day allowing me to repair the article databases just fine, it just took me a while to realize what I did wrong.

Subject: Re: how to break a site
From: nobody
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 05:44 UTC
From: noo...@nobody.non (nobody)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:44:02 -0600
On 3/30/21 10:36 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
oops, don't upgrade a site with an outdated zip file by mistake (or on
purpose), it makes a mess!

Anyway, I did that on one of my rslight sites today and it took me an
hour to fix it, lol. The import script saved the day allowing me to
repair the article databases just fine, it just took me a while to
realize what I did wrong.

Retro Guy

Been there. Done that. Got the messy T-shirt.

I have been undergoing a long process of scriptomatically engineering
everything to prevent myself from doing these kinds of mishaps. It
works, but it's also a bit more time consuming.

I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
machinery and programs.

Knock on wood.

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:33 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:33:30 +0000
View all headers
nobody wrote:

I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
machinery and programs.

Yes, and you need to anticipate things which you can't do 100%. It's a lot of work.

Your project sounds interesting, let us know when you have something we can try out, if you want ppl trying it out of course.

From: nobody
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:34 UTC
From: noo...@nobody.non (nobody)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:34:22 -0600
On 11/24/21 1:33 AM, Anonymous wrote:
nobody wrote:

I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
machinery and programs.

Yes, and you need to anticipate things which you can't do 100%. It's a
lot of work.

Your project sounds interesting, let us know when you have something we
can try out, if you want ppl trying it out of course.

Yes, sir. You venerable usenetizens will be the first to know.