From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: Nerd news: wrong research on Firefly 6 (Our Mrs. Reynolds)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 08:53:53 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 08:53 UTC
Attachments: space_cowboy.jpg (image/jpeg)

I always wondered if the scene where Jane puts his gun into a spacesuit in order to be able to fire it in space was actually researched well or not...
Well, it seems not to be, according to
https://www.straightdope.com/21343418/would-a-gun-work-in-space
and
https://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html
the spacesuit would not have been needed.

So: Spacecowboys still need spacesuits, but not for their guns. :-)

Attachments: space_cowboy.jpg
Re: Nerd news: wrong research on Firefly 6 (Our Mrs. Reynolds)

<1520b3a94e6fb4d45f7b638042618621@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#141

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 10:27:26 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 10:27 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> I always wondered if the scene where Jane puts his gun into a spacesuit in order to be able to fire it in space was actually researched well or not...
> Well, it seems not to be, according to
> https://www.straightdope.com/21343418/would-a-gun-work-in-space
> and
> https://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html
> the spacesuit would not have been needed.

> So: Spacecowboys still need spacesuits, but not for their guns. :-)

I've never seen Firefly but you're right, no need for a spacesuit for a gun in space!

I tried to find a pic (not very hard) but couldn't find one of Jayne with a gun.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Nerd news: wrong research on Firefly 6 (Our Mrs. Reynolds)

<ff4ee5e5e2b882b8a115dd3e7aa04ba5@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#142

From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:28:43 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:28 UTC

It is far from the worst technical error with the show. How about everyone walking around a space ship with weight despite no centrifugal artificial gravity or constant acceleration? Or their just happening to "bump" into a ghost ship while en route between two planets despite the massive distances involved?

However, is it ever actually established that their weapons work the same way ours do? Of course the props are mostly or all real-world guns with sci-fi-looking shit glued to them, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone load one, or spent casings ejecting when fired. Maybe in the future they all manage to use a weapon technology that is somehow less suited for space travel than ours is. Seeing the real world get dumber and dumber each year, I don't think it's too far fetched.
--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Nerd news: wrong research on Firefly 6 (Our Mrs. Reynolds)

<6026918e7e8fc510a1e5e71c28588400@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=143&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#143

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 07:02:38 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 07:02 UTC

>How about everyone walking around a space ship with weight despite no centrifugal artificial gravity or constant acceleration?

Guess they must have used gravity pumps.

> Or their just happening to "bump" into a ghost ship while en route between two planets despite the massive distances involved?

Accidents happen against the odds all the time. Also: if this was the shortest route between two planets, it makes sense for the other ship to be there.

>However, is it ever actually established that their weapons work the same way ours do?

That's right, it was an assumption on my part that they do.

>but I don't recall ever seeing anyone load one,

There are scenes showing that, also cleaning the weapons.

>or spent casings ejecting when fired.

No, I don't recall that either. Makes sense for the wheel guns, but not for the pistols. :-)

> Maybe in the future they all manage to use a weapon technology that is somehow less suited for space travel than ours is.

That's sounds right: after humanity manages to build spacecrafts for interstellar travel, they build weapons that cannot be used in space (in contrast to the ones already existing).
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light