From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: tor hidden services, v3 vs v2
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 14:53:43 -0800
logging-data="27210"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:53 UTC

The version 3 of the tor hidden services is available since a while now, version 2 will be dropped at one point (one major release away, so maybe 2 years or something ?).
According to the tor team v3 services bring a number of advantages, mainly for the admins (I understand that for instance they cannot be found by servers of the tor network, which is doable with the v2). Might be the right time to switch over ?
What are your experiences, any downside to the v3 ? I have run some just to check and could not notice anything odd.
Maybe I will switch all the def nodes to the new addresses, maybe even some vanity ones (like def2, def3 and so on, should be easy enough to generate).
Then I could forward the old addresses to the new ones for a while to propagate the new ones, before I would finally switch off the old addresses.

What do you think ?

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: tor hidden services, v3 vs v2

<to.434.4929gy@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=139&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#139

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: Re: tor hidden services, v3 vs v2
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 03:37:03 -0800
logging-data="25600"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:37 UTC

you have around 6 months left:

2. July 15th, 2021
0.4.6.x: Tor will no longer support v2 and support will be removed from the code base.

https://blog.torproject.org/v2-deprecation-timeline

--
Posted on def2