Subject: tor hidden services, v3 vs v2
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:53 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 14:53:43 -0800
logging-data="27210"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
View all headers
The version 3 of the tor hidden services is available since a while now, version 2 will be dropped at one point (one major release away, so maybe 2 years or something ?).
According to the tor team v3 services bring a number of advantages, mainly for the admins (I understand that  for instance they cannot be found by servers of the tor network, which is doable with the v2). Might be the right time to switch over ?
What are your experiences, any downside to the v3 ? I have run some just to check and could not notice anything odd.
Maybe I will switch all the def nodes to the new addresses, maybe even some vanity ones (like def2, def3 and so on, should be easy enough to generate).
Then I could forward the old addresses to the new ones for a while to propagate the new ones, before I would finally switch off the old addresses.

What do you think ?

Subject: Re: tor hidden services, v3 vs v2
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:37 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 03:37:03 -0800
logging-data="25600"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
View all headers
you have around 6 months left:

2. July 15th, 2021
0.4.6.x: Tor will no longer support v2 and support will be removed from the code base.

https://blog.torproject.org/v2-deprecation-timeline