From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:10:52 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:10 UTC

100 invited to Downing Street garden lockdown drinks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59930733?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 8:06 AM
The Met Police have contacted the government over a gathering said to have been attended by the PM.
--------------------
Djokovic saga damaging, says tennis governing body
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59944701?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 3:46 AM
The controversy over Novak Djokovic's visa to enter Australia has been "damaging on all fronts", says the ATP.
--------------------
Covid PCR tests end for asymptomatic cases in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59944057?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 7:27 AM
A positive lateral flow result can now be taken as a first and final confirmation that you have Covid.
--------------------
Man gets genetically-modified pig heart in world-first transplant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59944889?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 10:55 PM
David Bennett, 57, is doing well three days after the experimental surgery, doctors say.
--------------------
HMP Styal: Prisoner who had stillborn baby 'will never forgive jail'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59938239?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 12:45 AM
Louise Powell, 31, said she begged for an ambulance before her baby died at HMP Styal in Cheshire.
--------------------
Covid: Downing Street garden lockdown drinks and PCR testing changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59944028?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 7:44 AM
Five things you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic this Tuesday morning.
--------------------
Afghanistan's cold and bitter hunger
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59942993?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 12:08 AM
The UN has called for urgent aid as one million Afghan children are at risk from severe malnourishment.
--------------------
Couple says troubled council broke their family
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59943642?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 6:00 AM
A couple receive an apology and "very significant" payout from a council over a failed adoption.
--------------------
David Sassoli: European Parliament president dies aged 65
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59947211?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 7:41 AM
The Italian was admitted to hospital last month due to a serious complication with his immune system.
--------------------
Ovo Energy sorry over advice to cuddle pets to stay warm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59946622?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 11:14 PM
Ovo Energy, which owns SSE, says it is "embarrassed" over advice sent to its customers on how to stay warm.
--------------------
North Korea fires suspected ballistic missile
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59935125?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 2:57 AM
It comes as six nations, including the US, call for the North to stop its "destabilising actions."
--------------------
Russia downplays threat to Ukraine in talks with US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59945170?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 10:24 PM
Russian officials downplay the threat to neighbouring Ukraine during high-stakes talks in Geneva.
--------------------
Antarctica: Invasive species 'hitchhiking' on ships
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59914729?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 11:37 PM
Ships travelling to Antarctica could bring invasive species to the ocean’s last pristine ecosystem.
--------------------
The papers: 'Downing It Street' and pressure grows to cut isolation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-59946342?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 4:49 AM
News that people were invited to a Downing Street garden party during lockdown leads most of the papers.
--------------------
Near-miss for pilot saved from downed plane hit by train
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59946362?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 10:12 PM
Dramatic video shows the rescue, moments before collision, after a plane landed on train tracks.
--------------------
HS2: Vast Roman settlement found by archaeologists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59943179?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 6:11 AM
The site manager says it has the potential to transform our understanding of the Roman landscape.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on… Novak Djokovic’s Australia visa victory
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59944634?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 11:20 PM
The world number one made it onto a tennis court in Melbourne, but he could still be deported.
--------------------
PTSD: Ex-soldier builds castle as mental health rehab space
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59894870?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 10:55 PM
Mike Allen created the space as a "coping mechanism" and to help others with mental health issues.
--------------------
Why I went from being an actor to a clowndoctor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59937324?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 6:12 AM
Scots actor Carmen Pieraccini says her most rewarding role is being a clowndoctor for sick children.
--------------------
Golden Globes: West Side Story and The Power of the Dog win at troubled event
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59900500?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 6:45 AM
Steven Spielberg's remake of the classic film was among the big winners at Sunday's event in LA.
--------------------
Maya Angelou: Poet is first black woman on US quarter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59946929?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 2:29 AM
The civil rights activist and writer is the first in a series of US women honoured on the US quarter.
--------------------
The 90-year-old St Annes podcaster with a global audience
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-59941784?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 3:40 PM
Doreen Connolly's series was only meant for her family but is reaching listeners in 27 countries.
--------------------
Spain: Badger thought to have found Roman treasure
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59937510?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 2:17 PM
Archaeologists discovered Roman coins outside the den of an animal next to a cave in northern Spain.
--------------------
Ichthyosaur: Huge fossilised ‘sea dragon’ found in Rutland reservoir
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59915689?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 6:01 AM
The creature lived more than 90 million years ago and its remains were found poking out of the mud.
--------------------
Petrol prices: Are we paying too much at the pump?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52188448?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 4:26 PM
Fuel retailers face calls to reduce prices, as the cost of living rises
--------------------
#NoSpendJanuary: Can it really be done?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59920978?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 6:51 AM
Every year, the hashtag #nospendjanuary is seen on social media - but how literally do people take it?
--------------------
NHS staff: 'We're doing the absolute best we can'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59872394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 1:17 AM
A young frontline paramedic and doctor on the pressures of omicron on their work right now.
--------------------
Energy bills: 'I am already paying an extra £60 a month'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59939879?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 12:06 AM
Some people are paying many hundreds of pounds more for domestic energy ahead of widespread price rises.
--------------------
The controversy of wood pellets as a green energy source
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59546278?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 12:01 AM
Wood pellets are touted as a 'green' way to make electricity, but many reject these claims.
--------------------
Covid: Fact-checking the doctor who challenged the health secretary
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59929638?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 6:47 PM
An intensive-care doctor challenged the health secretary over mandatory vaccination - are his claims right?
--------------------
Cladding: Why is it unsafe and will flat owners be refunded?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56015129?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 6:07 PM
The government wants building firms to pay for the removal of unsafe cladding from some buildings.
--------------------
'Fans had no idea what was going on' - but Gerrard refuses to blame VAR for Villa's FA Cup exit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59944986?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 12:01 AM
Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard accepted VAR's decision to rule out an equaliser for his side, but many watching the FA Cup defeat by Manchester United from home were left confused.
--------------------
Superb Higgins sweeps Zhao aside as Hawkins joins him in quarter-finals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59942746?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 10:00 PM
John Higgins moves into the quarter-finals of the Masters with an emphatic 6-2 victory over UK champion Zhao Xintong at Alexandra Palace.
--------------------
Pick your England XI for fifth Ashes Test
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59939182?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2022, 6:51 AM
Should Sam Billings make his Test debut? Is it time for Haseeb Hameed to make way? Pick your England XI for the final Ashes Test in Hobart.
--------------------
FA Cup Highlights: Manchester United 1-0 Aston Villa
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59946857?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 11:02 PM
Manchester United makes it through to the fourth round in the FA Cup as Scott McTominay's early header seals a 1-0 win over Aston Villa at Old Trafford.
--------------------
FA Cup: Watch the best goals from the FA Cup third round
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59946796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 11:23 PM
Watch eight of the best goals from the FA Cup third round including Thelo Aasgaard's winning goal for Wigan Athletic and Ollie Banks' super strike for Barrow.
--------------------
Omicron: How do I get a lateral flow or PCR Covid test?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 8:29 AM
Across the UK, people without symptoms no longer have to confirm a positive LFT result with a PCR.
--------------------
Omicron: What Covid tests do I need to travel abroad?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 1:11 PM
Fully vaccinated people will no longer need to test for Covid before travelling to England.
--------------------
What are the new Covid rules for the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 8:24 AM
Boris Johnson says England will stick to the "Plan B" Covid measures which are due to be reviewed on 26 January.
--------------------
Covid vaccines: How fast is progress around the world?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56237778?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 2:09 PM
Charts and maps tracking the progress of Covid vaccination programmes.
--------------------
Covid-19 in the UK: How many coronavirus cases are there in my area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 6:04 PM
Explore the data on coronavirus in the UK and find out how many cases there are in your area.
--------------------
NHS Tracker: How is the NHS in your area coping this winter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59549800?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 7, 2022, 10:29 AM
Winter and Covid are putting the NHS under severe strain, find out what's happening in your area.
--------------------
Omicron: When can I have a booster jab and how do I book one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 5, 2022, 3:17 PM
Booster numbers have reached record levels in the fight against the Omicron variant.
--------------------
Omicron: What are the rules for face coverings and masks?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 4, 2022, 12:59 PM
Face coverings are now recommended in secondary classrooms in England.
--------------------
What are the Covid rules in schools and will they stay open this term?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51643556?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 6, 2022, 1:39 PM
Schools are reopening across the UK with a variety of Covid restrictions in place.
--------------------
What are the Covid self-isolation rules now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 6, 2022, 12:24 PM
People with Covid can now end self-isolation after seven days, as long as they have had two negative tests.
--------------------
Omicron symptoms: Is a runny nose a cold or Covid?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54145299?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 23, 2021, 12:39 PM
Could a runny nose be a sign you have Omicron?
--------------------
Coronavirus treatments: What progress is being made?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52354520?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 21, 2021, 9:22 AM
Medical teams around the world are learning which medicines work best against Covid.
--------------------
Long Covid: What is it and what are the symptoms?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57833394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 6, 2022, 5:53 PM
Significant numbers of people have had long-term problems after recovering from coronavirus.
--------------------
Omicron: How do I know if I have it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59460252?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 4, 2022, 12:25 PM
The symptoms are similar to a cold, while genetic analysis is the only way to confirm the variant.
--------------------
Covid passports: Where do I need a pass and how do I get one?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55718553?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 4, 2022, 4:46 PM
People in England need to show their Covid status to get into nightclubs and many other venues.
--------------------
Novak Djokovic: Why world number one is such a polarising player
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59881229?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2022, 9:38 AM
Novak Djokovic's vaccine exemption situation before the Australian Open is the latest controversy for one of tennis' greatest but most polarising players.
--------------------
Look familiar? How rapid tests changed the pandemic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59895258?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 9, 2022, 12:24 AM
Lateral flow tests are now part of UK life, with billions spent on test kits. Has it been worth it?
--------------------
Census 1921 - 100-year-old secrets revealed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59879470?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 6, 2022, 6:00 AM
Digitised pages of the 1921 Census reveal glimpses of the lives of the 38 million people living in England and Wales a century ago.
--------------------
How my pregnancy led to a life-changing diagnosis
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59761346?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 4, 2022, 2:21 AM
Helena Merriman was diagnosed with otosclerosis, which causes hearing loss, after her second child was born.
Three ways to be more rational this year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59740588?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 1, 2022, 12:54 AM
Harvard psychology professor Steven Pinker discusses three common irrationality traps and offers advice on how to avoid them.

Click here to read the complete article