Subject: Running a RetroBBS node
From: Janitor
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 04:21 UTC
From: jani...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-q15-this (Janitor)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 04:21:50 +0000
To: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
I'm interested in running a RetroBBS node. How to?
Must it be the exact same software? If the interfaces are documented, where?

Subject: Re: Running a RetroBBS node
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 04:49 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 04:49:09 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Janitor wrote:

  To: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
I'm interested in running a RetroBBS node. How to?
Must it be the exact same software? If the interfaces are documented, where?

There are many ways to host these groups on your own site. While trw and myself have produced our own interfaces (bbs and rslight), and trw has also made some excellent mods to fudforum (which can host these also), these are simply Usenet groups that are also shared in tor and i2p.

If you are interested in running rslight (which is what you see on retroBBS and novaBBS, just scroll to the bottom of the articles or threads page and there are links to download the code. If you want to try rslight, I'm here most every day to answer questions and help if need be.

If you want to run a cool interface like def4.i2p (rslight isn't exactly "cool" lol), post a message for trw and he may be able to provide code. Note, bbs (running on def4) requires an inn server on your machine.

Also, trw's mods to fudforum are very nice. If you want to try that, again ask trw here and he may be able to help. I can also provide help with a stock version of fudforum if you wish.

Basically, there are many ways to host the groups, depending on your goal. Do you want/need a cool interface? Are you mainly trying to host the groups on your own site? Either way, we're glad to have new nodes. Let us know if you have more questions or need help.

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 18:46 UTC
From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 14:46:26 -0400
View all headers
Basically, there are many ways to host the groups, depending on your goal.

you need a software that speaks nntp and http. Examples of these are (in no specific order):

-fudforum
-rslight
-bbs (development is discontinued, so better take something else)

Those three are used by Retro Guy and myself. But there is also other software that should be possible to use:

-Drupal with the nntp plugin
-nntp-chan (never got that to run, myself, but maybe you can do it)
-https://github.com/arkanis/nntp-forum
-...
Either way, we're glad to have new nodes. Let us know if you have more questions or need help.

Second that. The easiest way is to just set up a web frontend first that fetches the news from one of our newsservers (or a public one that hosts the rocksolid hierarchy). Later you can move on and set up your own news server, which can be a little more tricky.

From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 18:58 UTC
From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 14:58:49 -0400
View all headers
forgot to mention the dlang forum software, btw, which always had a lot of appeal for me (here: https://forum.dlang.org/ unfortunately i could not get that one to run, either. it really depends a lot on your skills and individual setup, too. i found fudforum to be the right software for my skills, and hacking it into shape on some occasions was simple enough in the end (even if i don't really know php).
the most beginner friendly software is actually rslight imo (the one that retrobbs uses). this one runs out of the box, so you do:
installation of webserver (lighttpd or nginx, but apache should as well), tor and or i2p, rslight, some config work and you are done.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 22:51 UTC
From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-12jw-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 22:51:15 +0000
To: trw
  To: trw
trw wrote:

[...]

Also, since I see you're accessing by the bbs, you can also run Synchronet or any bbs that speaks nntp, and it's not difficult to host the groups that way also. If you want users to access by bbs, no web interface is necessary.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 10:35 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 10:35:26 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Also, since I see you're accessing by the bbs, you can also run Synchronet or any bbs that speaks nntp, and it's not difficult to host the groups that way also. If you want users to access by bbs, no web interface is necessary.

If you're interested in running Mystic or another bbs, I know the admin of fsxNet will provide newsgroups via ftn. He is also a usenet peer of mine (news.bbs.nz). If you are interested in that, you might ask him if he carries rocksolid.* and if not he may very well be willing to.

Basically, there are many ways to run a node, it just depends on how you want to do it. We're here to help as best we can.

From: A
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:47 UTC
From: me...@usenet.invalid (A)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:47:26 +0000
View all headers
On 2019-11-03 10:35, Retro Guy wrote:
Retro Guy wrote:

Also, since I see you're accessing by the bbs, you can also run Synchronet or any bbs that speaks nntp, and it's not difficult to host the groups that way also. If you want users to access by bbs, no web interface is necessary.

If you're interested in running Mystic or another bbs, I know the admin of fsxNet will provide newsgroups via ftn. He is also a usenet peer of mine (news.bbs.nz). If you are interested in that, you might ask him if he carries rocksolid.* and if not he may very well be willing to.

Basically, there are many ways to run a node, it just depends on how you want to do it. We're here to help as best we can.

I presume that running the  bash script    def4.main.sh   ought to be simple as well.

and what is  "ftn" ?    u mean "ftp" ??

From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:09 UTC