Subject: This is kind of confusing
From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 09:42 UTC
From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 09:42:49 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="23381"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
View all headers
1) A black man telling a story at his workplace about a cop who used the word "nigger".
2) HR calling and saying a he can't do that (say the N-word).
3) Him quitting his job as a result.

Some stories are too weird to be invented.

Quote:

"Earlier this year, I had just finished with the Snowfall writers’ room for the season when I took a similar job on a different show at a different network. I’d been in the new room for a few weeks when I got the call from human resources. A pleasant-sounding young man said, 'Mr. Mosley, it has been reported that you used the n-word in the writers’ room,'" Mosley wrote in the Times. "I replied, 'I am the N-word in the writers’ room.'"

Mosley went on to explain that the individual in HR said that while he was free to use that word in a script, he "could not say it." Mosley then clarified, "I hadn’t called anyone it. I just told a story about a cop who explained to me, on the streets of Los Angeles, that he stopped all n---ers in paddy neighborhoods and all paddies in n---er neighborhoods, because they were usually up to no good. I was telling a true story as I remembered it."

Mosley wrote that he is unaware who complained about his use of the word. "There I was, a black man in America who shares with millions of others the history of racism. And more often than not, treated as subhuman," he continued. "If addressed at all that history had to be rendered in words my employers regarded as acceptable."

"There I was being chastised for criticizing the word that oppressed me and mine for centuries. As far as I know the word is in the dictionary," said Mosley. "As far as I know the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence assure me of both the freedom of speech and the pursuit of happiness."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489