Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you? -- Patrick Volkerding

computers / rocksolid.shared.i2p / Russia gives domestic internet second test run

SubjectAuthor
* Russia gives domestic internet second test runanon
+* Russia gives domestic internet second test runAnonUser
|`- Russia gives domestic internet second test runanonymous
`- Russia gives domestic internet second test runNeodome Admin

1
Russia gives domestic internet second test run

<9dd9d20395590e059cfeb10ec94e6c0b@def4>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=166&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#166

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Russia gives domestic internet second test run
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 15:36:42+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 15:36 UTC

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50902496

If they will use this in the future, it will have an impact on i2p, as many nodes are in Russia. It will probably split the i2p network into two not connected parts.

Posted on def4

Re: Russia gives domestic internet second test run

<29edbfbd5b705f64cc435357a8d3420d$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=167&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#167

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 07:10:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 27 Dec 2019 07:10 UTC

anon wrote:

> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50902496

> If they will use this in the future, it will have an impact on i2p, as many nodes are in Russia. It will probably split the i2p network into two not connected parts.

Is the main concern attacks from outside Russia, or contolling content that is seen there? I'm sure a bit of both I just wonder which is the main motivation.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Russia gives domestic internet second test run

<66d740842bd3c557bc1947e49bdd959a$1@def2.i2p>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=168&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#168

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:59:32 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="29847"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:59 UTC

The Russians are not equipment makers. Any of those things you talk about
are ridiculous. 90% of what they are saying is true. This does not mean
they are not fine tuning surveillance or denial etc... The Internet is
just a waste of time such as cable TV in jail.

Speaking of wasting time:
Here is a tip for streaming through Tor. I keep a tab of youporn.com open
and it takes care of 90% of bulshit popups and captchas. Maybe spy vs.
spy. I did not look into it more.
Posted on def2

Re: Russia gives domestic internet second test run

<qucf8f$2rm3$1@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=169&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#169

From: adm...@neodome.net (Neodome Admin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:16:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neodome Admin - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:16 UTC

anon <anon@anon.com> wrote:

> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50902496
>
> If they will use this in the future, it will have an impact on i2p, as
> many nodes are in Russia. It will probably split the i2p network into two
> not connected parts.
>
> Posted on def4

I remember reading about it few years ago. Russians claimed that they are
doing it because their internal communications were going through other
countries, i.e. connection from Moscow to Vladivostok was going through
Europe, US, and Japan. Russians started the project when NSA activities
were revealed by Snowden. Brazil was doing the same thing, for the same
reason:

<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/20/brazil-dilma-rousseff-internet-us-control>

<https://www.itworld.com/article/2705173/bric-nations-plan-their-own--independent-internet-.html>

Quote: