From: AnonU...@novabbs.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Aspects in new computer?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:03:13 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:03 UTC

I’ve got a question. Let’s assume that I wanted to buy a new computer to host a chat website for the world to use. This chat website would use Ubuntu, a Nginx web server, and would also be located in files in the /var/www/html directory. This website would also use php scripts in order for people to communicate. What technical features should I have and what specs should I consider for the computer in order for this computer to serve its clients the best it possibly could in terms of traffic, scalability, performance, etc?
--
Posted on novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

it all depends

<g.1244.15nehf@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=176&group=rocksolid.shared.general#176

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: it all depends
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 14:06:29 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 21 Nov 2020 22:06 UTC

>for the world to use
the answers to your questions really depend on how big a part of the world will be using your service, and in what way.
assuming you will have < 100k visitors per day, and that your chat program is not an extraordinary resource hog, I would recommend the following minimal specs to start:

-dual core cpu, 1,3 GHz
-2 Gb of Ram
-20 Gb of HD space
-10 Mbit Lan connection

To sum up, a cheap one board computer like a raspberry pi, beagle or arduino is by far enough to run a small server. So is an old laptop or office PC, or of course a small VPS, if you are not into home hosting.
Bigger is better, of course :-), but you really don't need much to start. If your service becomes very popular over night you can still upgrade to bigger hardware.

Ps: when you say chat, I assume text chat of course. Audio/Videochat will need more resources.

--
Posted on def2

Re: it all depends

<d04b507ee0cd7a14376d0ff56b3b77d7$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=177&group=rocksolid.shared.general#177

From: Anonym...@novabbs.i2p (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: it all depends
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 10:40:50 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 22 Nov 2020 10:40 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> To sum up, a cheap one board computer like a raspberry pi, beagle or arduino is by far enough to run a small server. So is an old laptop or office PC, or of course a small VPS, if you are not into home hosting.
> Bigger is better, of course :-), but you really don't need much to start. If your service becomes very popular over night you can still upgrade to bigger hardware.

That's accurate. A single purpose server for text chat really doesn't need much, unless the code is poorly written and wastes resources. I've run servers that were somewhat popular in the past inside vms on not very powerful machines, and they worked fine. Then just plan ahead in case it outgrows your box, that you make it easy to transfer to a new machine, or add disk space etc.

> Ps: when you say chat, I assume text chat of course. Audio/Videochat will need more resources.

Yes, video chat is an entirely different story.

--
Posted on novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

and ?

<g.1246.rnqm1@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=178&group=rocksolid.shared.general#178

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: and ?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:47:51 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:47 UTC

btw, feel free to give some feedback here.
you have been posting quite some questions here, and always received answers. all this works better if you tell us if it worked out in the end, if you got it solved...

--
Posted on def2

Re: and ?

<e3a54c1ded610ac679b4e159f93523f3$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=179&group=rocksolid.shared.general#179

From: Anonym...@novabbs.i2p (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: and ?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 22:15:25 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 24 Nov 2020 22:15 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> btw, feel free to give some feedback here.
> you have been posting quite some questions here, and always received answers. all this works better if you tell us if it worked out in the end, if you got it solved...

Sure. I’ll think about giving feedback if I can get all of this figured out...
--
Posted on novaBBS
www.novabbs.com