Have an adequate day.

arts / rocksolid.shared.entertainment / Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

SubjectAuthor
* The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imGuest
`* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imAnonUser
 `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous
  `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imAnonUser
   `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous
    +* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imGuest
    |`- Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous
    `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imRetro Guy
     `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous
      `* Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous
       `- Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.imanonymous

1
The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<qmp8jc$f4s$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=45&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#45

From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 23:31:40 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 29 Sep 2019 03:31 UTC

So I went to the website https://k.im and watch the video and the team. If the names are not familiar think in terms Big Names of banking (tax avoidance), pirate share content and lawyers you want on your side in a jam.

I know they are hiring... but do you have the balls and skills!

Posted on def3

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<de80e26bae3b5580b62b2e361b6479f6$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=46&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#46

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 03:48:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Sun, 29 Sep 2019 03:48 UTC

Guest wrote:

> So I went to the website https://k.im and watch the video and the team. If
the names are not familiar think in terms Big Names of banking (tax
avoidance), pirate share content and lawyers you want on your side in a jam.

> I know they are hiring... but do you have the balls and skills!

Wasn't Kim Dotcom going to build a facebook replacement a few months ago?

This one is actually a better idea, we don't need more facebook.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<a817a9f7283b191b30841ecfd46b2920$1@def2.i2p>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=47&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#47

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 10:28:42 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="17135"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Sun, 29 Sep 2019 10:28 UTC

Wasn't Kim Dotcom the one who ratted out his fellow hackers to the police,
so that his board would get more market share ? screw this guy...

Posted on def2

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<048a5c2b97100614c9dcdd6d68e7b16c$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=48&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#48

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:45:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:45 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> Wasn't Kim Dotcom the one who ratted out his fellow hackers to the police,
> so that his board would get more market share ? screw this guy...

I don't remember anything about that, any links to this info?

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<e7b9d301d4c3d0642ac66f2652ae9b6e$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=49&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#49

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:58:56 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="13014"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:58 UTC

the only link i could find was this old wikipedia archive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Kim_Dotcom/Archive_2#The_1980's:_Kim_Schmitz_colaboration_with_the_German_police_and_other_highly_interesting_facts

i knew this tale from hearsay only, and it is one reason why most hackers
loathe him...

Posted on def2

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<qmucb9$kc$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=50&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#50

From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 22:06:23 -0400
 by: Guest - Tue, 1 Oct 2019 02:06 UTC

This venture is what Kim is all about! Screw the banks and copyright... It will help the bitcoin community of wolves (complaining about insider trading and leverage... bitcoin is not for you).

I open a High School Euclidean geometry book and I see a copyright and some fucks claiming they are authors and shilocks that profit from kids... Kim is an angel compared to this lot!
Posted on def3

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<a8c1945e3b8c9674e5b8e0dbc56151e7$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=51&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#51

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 16:52:53 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="19623"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Tue, 1 Oct 2019 16:52 UTC

>Kim is an angel compared to this lot

yeah, an angel that sells you down the river whenever it suits him...
Posted on def2

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<a06efaeade5e71489fd3943af3ffb6be$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#52

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:47:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:47 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> the only link i could find was this old wikipedia archive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Kim_Dotcom/Archive_2#The_1980's:_Kim_Schmitz_colaboration_with_the_German_police_and_other_highly_interesting_facts

> i knew this tale from hearsay only, and it is one reason why most hackers
> loathe him...

I can understand why he would be hated if this is true. It may be, I
really have no idea.

Some things to consider, the archive states, "This article is lacking
massively. There is a huge gap when it comes to Schmitz's activities in
the 1980's." It seems he was born in 1974, so he would be 10 years old in
1984 and just 15 in 1989. Would German authorities sentence someone of
that age for two years? (I don't know, but it seems a bit harsh, it's more
like an American sentence.)

I'm not saying it's not true, just tossing questions out there. I'm
curious now so I'll do some digging (and find out it's true lol).

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<881273e63b004250f6242ba48c30eec0$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=55&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#55

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 19:20:10 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="10078"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Thu, 3 Oct 2019 19:20 UTC

found one source in german here:
https://www.digitalwelt.org/themen/subkulturen/kimble-story-kim-schmitz
and translated it partly with https://www.deepl.com/translator
the resulting text is quite comprehensible, and in the last paragraph it
comes to the subject mentioned before. guess we would have to ask some
german people from the scene of this time to really confirm.

https://www.digitalwelt.org/themen/subkulturen/kimble-story-kim-schmitz

The tricky issue of telephone fraud had become a timeless classic a few
years ago. Kim Schmitz, who now lives in New Zealand under the name Kim
Dotcom, was without doubt one of the most famous and infamous German
hackers in this field.

Although he does not belong to the only group of young Internet
millionaires, at least one fact makes him interesting for us. Dotcom used
to be an "ordinary" Scener.
From the beginnings

Cap'n Crunch Cereal

Cap'n Crunch Cereal

There has always been something fascinating about telephones since they
were invented. When in the late 1960s the German Federal Post Office
shocked the German population with almost astronomical prices, telephoning
in the USA already caused friction between teenagers and their parents.

As thrilling as the device is, in the end every call has to be paid for.
The primitive and above all analog switching devices of the telephone
companies at that time were still controlled with signal tones. The
discovery of a small, blind young Californian named Joe Engressia alias
Joybubbles came just at the right time for some hobbyists.

With a toy pipe from a muesli package of the brand Cap'n Crunch, he could
stop the fee transmission by whistling into the telephone. The boy passed
on his knowledge to a close contact, a former US Air Force soldier named
John T. Draper, who took full advantage of the exploration and weaknesses
of the telephone companies with specially developed devices. At least
that's how you have to imagine the beginnings of fee manipulation and the
first approaches to telephone fraud. John Draper, who later gave himself
the pseudonym Cap'n Crunch, was thus the ancestor of "blue boxing",
telephone manipulation through sounds.

Until the beginning of the 90s, blue boxing became a kind of hacker
culture. It made its way back to today's demoscene, whose origins lead
back to the illegal cracker scene. After the telephone companies had taken
countermeasures, blue boxing soon developed into a nostalgic hobby among
the most hard-boiled of all phreakers. But the scene wasn't long in
coming, because soon a new method had been discovered to avoid telephone
charges.

This new possibility, which had been a thorn in the side of the telephone
companies for a long time, was the illegal trade with so-called calling
cards. The service offered by the communications companies of cashless
telephoning from anywhere with a 14-digit number opened up new avenues for
telephone hackers. Using various methods, the phreakers managed to outwit
the providers' computers with stolen or hacked numbers and thus make calls
at the expense of others. This new era lasted for a while, and during this
time a special member of the scene could give free rein to his greedy
desires.
The scene as a golden donkey

First as an ordinary trader and system operator of an illegal BBS
(Bulletin Board System) called "House of Coolness", later as a telephone
fraudster and credit card forger, Kimble managed in his career to work
against his own scene, to spend three months in prison, later for a lot of
money as a consultant for one of the biggest telecommunication companies
in Germany, seemingly inactive, and then to resell his own company against
hacker attacks allegedly for a two-digit million sum.

The story about one of the most eccentric people in the history of the
scene, who becomes active for the first time in this time of calling card
fraud and makes headlines, sounds almost unbelievable. Few members of the
scene managed to get into the crossfire of criticism and embarrassment
like Kimble.

But Kim Dotcom also started out as an "ordinary" scener. But like most
people in the scene, who managed the leap into the demoscene as
programmers, musicians or graphic artists, he managed the other way into
the illegal side almost masterfully. In the scene, he was regarded as
someone who wanted to achieve his goals at any price, no matter what the
means. And this seemed to have worked at least in his case - at least at
short notice until his arrest.

Of course it can't be denied that the scene, as many creative sides as it
could prove, served as a springboard for people like Kimble. The trade
with pirated copies was booming from the very beginning of the scene,
where Kimble also got involved. It is said that he even worked for the
lawyer and scene hunter Freiherr von Gravenreuth - maybe even his first
self earned pocket money by betraying his own scene to the representatives
of the industry.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Posted on def2

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<7d1add1b98f66ce37bbbafa557a91047$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#56

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 19:51:57 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="11491"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Thu, 3 Oct 2019 19:51 UTC

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom translated with
https://www.deepl.com/translator

career

Kim Schmitz attended the Heinrich-Harms-Schule (Hauptschule) in Plön and,
according to his own statements, grew up in a problematic family marked by
his father's alcoholism[6].

In the mid-1990s, Schmitz appeared in public for the first time under the
pseudonym Kimble as a computer hacker. His demonstration of the blue box
process in the WDR television program Monitor caused a sensation. He was a
member of the then flourishing mailbox scene with his mailboxes Beverly
Hills BBS and House of Coolness BBS, in which Warez, among others, was
traded. He is said to have recorded the messages of the users of his
mailbox and in this way learned insider information about weak points in
the telephone system and the software from hackers.[7] Among other things,
he paid with stolen calling card data which he resold.[7] Later, he
operated a party line which developed into a forum for phreakers and in
which he in turn collected current information by listening in.

On the basis of this information, Schmitz began producing magnetic cards
with fake payment information. During a house search on suspicion of black
copies in his mailboxes, "hundreds of counterfeit credit and telephone
cards" were found.[8] Under the pressure of criminal investigations,
Schmitz changed sides and passed on information about the pirate copy and
credit card scene to investigators. He subsequently worked for the lawyer
Günter Freiherr von Gravenreuth and, as a "test customer", provided him
with information on pirated copies.[9] This activity was recognised in his
favour during the trial, so that in 1994 he was sentenced to a two-year
suspended juvenile sentence for fraud, computer fraud, professional gang
robbery and misuse of titles.[10]

According to statements by Schmitz, an acquaintance from the scene gave
him indications of a weak point in the GSM system of Deutsche Telekom
Mobil D-1 (now Telekom Deutschland GmbH). In return for silence, he
received a consultancy contract with DeTeMobil.[8] With the proceeds from
the consultancy contract, Schmitz founded Data Protect Consulting GmbH in
Munich,[11] of which he finally sold 80 percent to TÜV Rheinland. Schmitz
retained 20 percent of the shares. The GmbH filed for insolvency in
2001.[12]

In an interview in 2001 he claimed to have hacked Citibank's systems and
transferred 20 million US dollars to Greenpeace, which Greenpeace denied
with reference to his accounting reports[13].

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Posted on def2

Re: The p2p to rule all p2p's! Kim Dotcom's k.im

<97819d076ed292fe1dd625490382df7c$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#57

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 20:24:48 -0000 (UTC)
References: <qmp8jc$f4s$1@i2pn2.org> <de80e26bae3b5580b62b2e361b6479f6$1@news.novabbs.com> <a817a9f7283b191b30841ecfd46b2920$1@def2.i2p> <048a5c2b97100614c9dcdd6d68e7b16c$1@news.novabbs.com> <e7b9d301d4c3d0642ac66f2652ae9b6e$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion> <a06efaeade5e71489fd3943af3ffb6be$1@news.novabbs.com> <881273e63b004250f6242ba48c30eec0$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion> <7d1add1b98f66ce37bbbafa557a91047$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>
logging-data="13383"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Thu, 3 Oct 2019 20:24 UTC

btw, this part here:
>Under the pressure of criminal investigations, Schmitz changed sides and
passed on information
is imho a pretty typical thing in the (blackhat)hacker scene, and one way
of recruiting people with talent and knowledge to work for the dark side
(three letter agencies and so on). i have heard estimations during a talk
that 20...50% of the hackers in the us were/are involved with some
lea....can't evaluate if it is true, as the person has not revealed the
way this estimation was reached (for obvious reasons, i guess). but this
thing for sure happens a lot, see also samu from lulzsec as an example.
Posted on def2