You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all alike.

devel / rocksolid.programming / Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

SubjectAuthor
* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
+- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
+* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
|`- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
+* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
|`- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
+* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
|`- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
+* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
|+- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
|`- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
`* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Anonymous
 `* Status of the nntp server from rslight ?Retro Guy
  `- Status of the nntp server from rslight ?anonymous

1
Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.713.24efuk@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=422&group=rocksolid.programming#422

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 01:58:10 -0800
logging-data="8438"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:58 UTC

Hi Retro Guy,

did you ever get around to release your standalone version of the nntp server you made for rslight ?
I was trying to install it a couple of days ago, but could not find anything, just the rslight packages. Or is it part of that ?

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<9cbfa264cf2ebc9a7d9dc3cbc646ff33$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=423&group=rocksolid.programming#423

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:43:30 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:43 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Hi Retro Guy,

> did you ever get around to release your standalone version of the nntp server you made for rslight ?
> I was trying to install it a couple of days ago, but could not find anything, just the rslight packages. Or is it part of that ?

Ah, sorry about that. I've been spending a lot of time on search and never made an installer for standalone nntp.

I'll get that put together soon. It's simply a matter of a toggle to disable automated threading, and writing an installer script. I assume a debian installer is what you nee, so that's what I'll provide.

I did set up a standalone and still run it and it's fine, but I just let it do pointless threading. It all can be run in one directory (with subdirs). I'll get on that over the next few days and let you know when it's ready.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.715.srxor@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=424&group=rocksolid.programming#424

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 05:00:44 -0800
logging-data="26102"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 12 Mar 2021 13:00 UTC

>>e3839d36a8eb35c58e
>I assume a debian installer is what you nee, so that's what I'll provide.

I use mostly debian on my servers, that's right. And I don't absolutely need an installer, but if you make one, I will take it :-).

> It all can be run in one directory (with subdirs).

That sounds good to me.

> I'll get on that over the next few days and let you know when it's ready.

Thanks a lot.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<b6c71f606bdec038cb3921be594805c6$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=425&group=rocksolid.programming#425

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:04:41 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:04 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>e3839d36a8eb35c58e
>>I assume a debian installer is what you nee, so that's what I'll provide.

> I use mostly debian on my servers, that's right. And I don't absolutely need an installer, but if you make one, I will take it :-).

Ok, I just installed this in a Debian vm and no problems. It's pretty simple and all runs in one directory with subdirs. It will run as whatever user you choose during the installation script, which defaults to www-data. You can select any user you wish, just make sure that the user can r/w the spool dir and rslight/user and rslight/userconfig.

I placed the latest version here:
http://rslight.i2p/getrslight/rslight-13032021.zip
This is newer than what is on github, so probably the best choice.

Unzip the file into a temp dir. I use /tmp/rslight each time. Then cd Rocksolid_Light to find the installer and run it as root. It will ask about web root stuff, just let it place some files there as rslight expects the files to exist. There is no need to make anything web accessible.

/debian-install.sh

This is the main installation script for Rocksolid Light
and must be run as root from the root directory of the extracted files

Select installation directories

Choose a path for your web root for rslight
Use default web root /var/www/html (y/n)? n

Enter web root for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/html

Choose a path for your spool files for rslight
Use default spool path /var/spool/rslight (y/n)? n

Enter spool path for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/spool

Choose a path for rslight configuration files
Use default config path /etc/rslight (y/n)? n

Enter config path for rslight: /usr/local/rslight/rslight

Choose username used by your web server
Use default username www-data (y/n)? y

You have selected the following options:

Web root: /usr/local/rslight/html
Spool dir: /usr/local/rslight/spool
Config dir: /usr/local/rslight/rslight
Web user: www-data

Are you sure you wish to install to these directories now
and change permissions as necessary to www-data?

Type 'YES' to create the directories and move files into place: YES

Creating directories
/usr/local/rslight/html...done
/usr/local/rslight/spool...done
/usr/local/rslight/rslight...done

Moving files into place...done

Setting permissions...done

Applying configuration...sed: can't read : No such file or directory
***there will be sed errors here but should be fine***
done

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.718.3ip0v4@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=426&group=rocksolid.programming#426

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 04:21:30 -0800
logging-data="30293"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:21 UTC

Just one question, is spoolnews supposed two run with two instances ? this is output from ps aux after running cron.php manually as root:

www-data sh -c php /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php
www-data php /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php

Or is it wrong to run cron.php manually for testing purposes ?

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.717.3v8lsj@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=427&group=rocksolid.programming#427

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 04:14:07 -0800
logging-data="30293"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:14 UTC

Big thanks, I just downloaded it (while I was playing with a regular rslight installation meanwhile).
I'll let you know how it handles for me.
As a feedback for the installation of rslight:
-it also shows the sed errors, while all data are written correctly
-you might want to mention the dependency on php-gnupg, or else the nocem script is crashing
-the rest runs nicely, and the message cache is slowly filling up.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<6f7ba435d9cb5aba8f5819caf3ce4e55$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=428&group=rocksolid.programming#428

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:40:09 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:40 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Just one question, is spoolnews supposed two run with two instances ? this is output from ps aux after running cron.php manually as root:

> www-data sh -c php /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php
> www-data php /etc/rslight/scripts/spoolnews.php

You'll end up with a spoolnews.php instance for each 'section'. In this case, rocksolid and spoolnews (spoolnews is it's own section). There is a lock file for each instance per section, so you shouldn't see multiples very often once you are caught up (have downloaded articles).

As a note, the default number of articles to download backward on a new group (new on your end) is 1000. To change that, it's near the top of spoolnews.php.

> Or is it wrong to run cron.php manually for testing purposes ?

No, that's fine. I do it all the time for testing. Should be no problem.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<828cd0bbe9c121243101772a61cb1e70$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=429&group=rocksolid.programming#429

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:43:49 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:43 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Big thanks, I just downloaded it (while I was playing with a regular rslight installation meanwhile).
> I'll let you know how it handles for me.
> As a feedback for the installation of rslight:
> -it also shows the sed errors, while all data are written correctly
> -you might want to mention the dependency on php-gnupg, or else the nocem script is crashing
> -the rest runs nicely, and the message cache is slowly filling up.

Thank you for the feedback :)

It's helpful as I assume I'm really the only user of rslight, and I can get a bit blinded by being used to it and may not notice something a user with a new install would deal with.

I think I know the reason for the sed errors, I'll take a look in the near future to fix it but as you say, it does work anyway. I'll add gnupg comment to INSTALL.md.

If you are seeing growing .db3 files in the spool dir, that's a good sign. spool/log/spoolnews.log should also show articles being saved.

Hopefully it works!

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.721.wxnr6@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=430&group=rocksolid.programming#430

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 05:49:25 -0800
logging-data="1048"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 13:49 UTC

Thanks for the explanations.
I have this rslight nntp server now running on vm2sdbjd*.b32.i2p, the same address as my inn2 server used to be.
In the logs (nntp.log in this case), I notice a lot of these error messages:
Syntax error: IHAVE <1p5zarf.ck1h45pt3fc3N@de-ster.xs4all.nl>
Looks like the rslight nntp server does not understand this one ? Or do I need to enable something for this to work ?

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<4e901587eb3e66798e0855fe66968ed5$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=431&group=rocksolid.programming#431

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:04:58 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:04 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Thanks for the explanations.
> I have this rslight nntp server now running on vm2sdbjd*.b32.i2p, the same address as my inn2 server used to be.
> In the logs (nntp.log in this case), I notice a lot of these error messages:
> Syntax error: IHAVE <1p5zarf.ck1h45pt3fc3N@de-ster.xs4all.nl>
> Looks like the rslight nntp server does not understand this one ? Or do I need to enable something for this to work ?

rslight does not support IHAVE. Oh, maybe it's from my inn servers trying to peer with it? rslight needs to sync with other servers as a reader. I'm guessing your client (bbx) doesn't use IHAVE as a client would not do that.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<code.723.3n7vn@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=432&group=rocksolid.programming#432

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 06:23:29 -0800
logging-data="15546"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:23 UTC

>>a6faa80c42f7a25b90
>Oh, maybe it's from my inn servers trying to peer with it?

Yes, I believe so.

>rslight needs to sync with other servers as a reader.

So this means it is pulling only ?

>I'm guessing your client (bbx) doesn't use IHAVE as a client would not do that.

No, I played with that one but gave it up.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<c68f29bb51fe6f26c22e558a59c04013$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=433&group=rocksolid.programming#433

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:59:07 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 13 Mar 2021 14:59 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>rslight needs to sync with other servers as a reader.

> So this means it is pulling only ?

No, it posts also, but as a reader. Reading and posting should work fine, just that it doesn't act as a "peer" but as a newsreader.

When you post, it sends it to the upstreamn nnep server, and when it syncs it pulls articles from upstream.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<f942eba3485f4e1ede4b201cac03cbb7$1@def4.i2p>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=434&group=rocksolid.programming#434

From: anonym...@def4.i2p (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:27:21 +0000
 by: anonymous - Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:27 UTC

>Reading and posting should work fine, just that it doesn't act as a "peer" but as a newsreader

Ok, got it.

I can see posting is working fine.
--
def4 rslight devel node
def4.i2p

Re: Status of the nntp server from rslight ?

<92ba0e2d47df9ac3d24c68c2b61c03b0$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=435&group=rocksolid.programming#435

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 01:27:57 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 14 Mar 2021 01:27 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Thanks for the explanations.
> I have this rslight nntp server now running on vm2sdbjd*.b32.i2p, the same address as my inn2 server used to be.

I'm going to remove this peer from my inn peer list. Meaning, inn won't try to send messages there as it will be pulling instead.

I'll just comment the lines out on my end so I can re-enable again if you switch back.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org