Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire

devel / rocksolid.programming / Progress

SubjectAuthor
* New project ideaAnonymous
+- and....solvedAnonymous
+- Ha, this is even easierAnonymous
+* Simple as fuckAnonymous
|`* Simple as fuckRetro Guy
| `* Did you change the settings ?trw
|  +* Also, this error messagetrw
|  |`* Also, this error messageRetro Guy
|  | `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |  `* Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  |   `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |    `* Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  |     `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |      `- Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  `- Did you change the settings ?Retro Guy
+- this is the look so far...Anonymous
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`* bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
| `- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* LynxAnonymous
|`- LynxRetro Guy
+* shellAnonymous
|`- shellRetro Guy
+- Lynx not safe ?Anonymous
+- that's for interactive modeAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+- Navigation worksAnonymous
+* ProgressAnonymous
|`- ProgressRetro Guy
+* Post and registration, and new ideasAnonymous
|+* Registration and posts worktrw
||`* Close to switchingtrw
|| `* a bbx postRetroGuy
||  +- a bbx postRetro Guy
||  `- The grass is always greener in the past...trw
|`* Post and registration, and new ideasRetro Guy
| `* pgp would be nicetrw
|  +- pgp would be nicetrw
|  `* pgp would be nicetrw
|   `- pgp would be niceRetro Guy
+* pgp would be niceAnonymous
|`- pgp would be niceRetro Guy
+- bbx alpha versionAnonymous
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`* bbx alpha versionMarc SCHAEFER
| `- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|+- bbx alpha versionMarc SCHAEFER
|`- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* it is not the inodesAnonymous
|`- it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
+* it is not the inodesAnonymous
|`* it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
| `* it is not the inodesRetro Guy
|  `- it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- NoneMarc SCHAEFER
`- NoneAnonymous

Pages:123
and....solved

<code.664.2f886r@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=375&group=rocksolid.programming#375

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: and....solved
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 02:51:58 -0800
logging-data="8699"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 1 Jan 2021 10:51 UTC

>>0b8d1b84dadff26167
>I think this is how the history is reclaimed every now and then.

That must have been it. I deleted a lot of not needed stuff and had ca. 680 Mb free space on sda1 in the end. And it works now, expire does not crash any longer and the server does not need to be restarted.

>> if this was the case, I have to make a new
>You could mount --bind the directory to some place
>with more room, or symlink

Not with the twisted setup that I have here. But luckily it was not necessary.

Anyway, thanks for all your helpful comments (also to Retro Guy).

>662
>The op probably feels a bit more comfortable since
>they have installed rslight in the past, connect to one
>of my rslight servers currently, and the developer is
>right here to answer questions.

Yes...especially the last point...:-) I might still use rslight as a backup, but at least I got inn running again....

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: pgp would be nice

<rti0g6$n70$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=387&group=rocksolid.programming#387

From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: pgp would be nice
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:57:38 -0500
 by: trw - Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:57 UTC

Somebody went through the whole process already and created something nice:

https://medium.com/@tamanning/nomadic-identity-brought-to-you-by-hubzilla-67eadce13c3b

One more reason for me to look at the fediverse, and maybe a killer feature...guess Hubzilla will be it....

--
Posted on def3

New project idea

<code.605.3umyox@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=472&group=rocksolid.programming#472

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: New project idea
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:47:18 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 14 Dec 2020 21:47 UTC
Attachments: 1605017798054.jpg (image/jpeg)

Context: I'm still on the search for a replacement for bbs on def4, which is:
-low resource
-stable (as in: mature code)
-not written in php
-working without js
The point here is to have a lightweight fallback solution which is not written in the same language as all the other nodes (which is php), can read nntp from a local or remote server, and displays it on a website.
Extra points are given for easy installation (including no db should be needed) and easy maintenance.
I have now looked at and played with several different codes, and I see two basic ways which could be fun to explore:
1) take one the existing news clients in python, and just plug the output into one of the python forum libs (guess flask would do it). I guess that would be minimal coding effort, as most of the heavy lifting was done and exists as libs. And as always, I find python code very concise, the code for an overboard was about 6 lines.

2) take a screenbased newsreader and webify the output with a webshell or terminal emulator of some kind. In the researches I stumbled (among many others) across lynx, which has a perfectly straightforward newsreader interface (just tried it out before on rslight.i2p, and yes, I knew lynx before, but I had never used it as a newsclient). lynx is completely scriptable, so it would be quite simple to have predefined calls for each purpose (so that the webshell does not really need to be interactive).
I think I like the second way most, it would be fun to have a retro page like that.

cheers

trw

Attachments: 1605017798054.jpg
Ha, this is even easier

<code.606.mq2ub@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=473&group=rocksolid.programming#473

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Ha, this is even easier
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:55:53 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 14 Dec 2020 21:55 UTC

I can just use
# lynx -dump
and have a nice and tidy output of text and links (which I could again format to some html, without the usage of a webshell). Very nice.

--
Posted on def2

Simple as fuck

<code.607.ttxpm@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=474&group=rocksolid.programming#474

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Simple as fuck
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:11:18 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 14 Dec 2020 23:11 UTC

For now, I just do
socat TCP4-LISTEN:30119,reuseaddr,fork SOCKS4A:127.0.0.1:asq5mo52aghemn2i.onion:119,socksport=9150
and then
lynx nntp://127.0.0.1:30119/rocksolid.programming
and I have a nice interactive torified access to rslight. with -dump after the lynx, everything is dumped into a text file (in theory also in html, but that seems not to work). so from here I can parse it again with simple regex, and put together my own html (which I will then style as a terminal), easypeasy. I will think I will call that one bbx (the x makes it sound cool...) :-)
I will reuse the better parts of the bbs code (so the outer framework will still be bash, who cares if it only a few lines :-) ).
And all the nasty nntp access and conversion stuff will be handled by lynx. Nice.
And of course I will run on my own news server, I just use Retro Guys here for testing (but it is also good to know that this will work, because then it can be run in standalone mode, so without local news server on the same machine or even as client on a users box).

good times to come with this I think....

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: Simple as fuck

<20201215022307.39c94cff@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=475&group=rocksolid.programming#475

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Simple as fuck
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 02:23:07 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 15 Dec 2020 09:23 UTC

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:11:18 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> For now, I just do
> socat TCP4-LISTEN:30119,reuseaddr,fork
> SOCKS4A:127.0.0.1:asq5mo52aghemn2i.onion:119,socksport=9150 and then
> lynx nntp://127.0.0.1:30119/rocksolid.programming
> and I have a nice interactive torified access to rslight. with -dump

Nice!

> good times to come with this I think....

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to watching it progress.

Retro Guy

this is the look so far...

<code.609.2bafhd@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=681&group=rocksolid.programming#681

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: this is the look so far...
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 09:19:15 -0800
logging-data="27437"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:19 UTC
Attachments: bbx.jpg (image/jpeg)

and this is the code that fetches a newsgroup with lynx and rewrites all the links displays as html:

function forum()
{ lynx -source nntp://$server_ip:$server_port/$Group_id | sed -r 's,(newspost|nntp)://,http://,g' | sed -e "s,$server_ip:$server_port/,$node_address/?1=,g"
return
}

Attachments: bbx.jpg
bbx alpha version

<code.610.3u9evn@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=682&group=rocksolid.programming#682

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: bbx alpha version
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 14:08:08 -0800
logging-data="23072"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:08 UTC
Attachments: bbx2.jpg (image/jpeg)

>>295536fd9877e562d2
http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/bbs/alpha/

To do:
-add and debug navigation elements
-registration
-posting
-images: decoding, display or link
-attachments: decoding, link
-caching of groups and messages

I decided that I will make def4 without threading, and with mandatory, captcha secured registration (no anonymous posting), once I roll out bbx.

trw

Attachments: bbx2.jpg
Re: bbx alpha version

<7d75c32e46c45ae5471ed9b4d8c1d939$1@dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=683&group=rocksolid.programming#683

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: bbx alpha version
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:01:33 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:01 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>295536fd9877e562d2
> http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/bbs/alpha/

That looks awesome! Back to the green screen :)

Is the formatting done by lynx, or yourself?

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion

Re: bbx alpha version

<code.612.37pdll@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=684&group=rocksolid.programming#684

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 03:33:10 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:33 UTC

>>e84a2244ffea6ec06f
thanks for the nice feedback.
lynx (with the -source switch) delivers the html which it would normally display on its own screen, (mostly this means taking care of the links in group view, the messages are actually just text snippets).
Then the green design of the site as such (the font, background pic and the effects), this is something for which I found bits and pieces on the internet and adapted them to my needs (it's all in the css, so it's simple to transfer).
using lynx to fetch the actual news content reduced my code by at least half, maybe even more (and it was the less good half of the code that went :-) ).
I think that (smaller and better) codebase is something that could be maintained also over a longer period without issue, so guess I will release it as a replacement for bbs. The look and feel will always be basic compared to more complex forum software, but so be it (at least the design is reflecting this as well now :-) ).

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: bbx alpha version

<20201216162606.3a4d8e57@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=685&group=rocksolid.programming#685

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:26:06 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 16 Dec 2020 23:26 UTC

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 03:33:10 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> snippets). Then the green design of the site as such (the font,
> background pic and the effects), this is something for which I found
> bits and pieces on the internet and adapted them to my needs (it's

I'm pretty impressed with the font etc. Nice css work!

> all in the css, so it's simple to transfer). using lynx to fetch the
> actual news content reduced my code by at least half, maybe even more
> (and it was the less good half of the code that went :-) ). I think

I added lynx as a door a few years ago in synchronet and it worked
great, but one thing I found I had to be careful with and disable was
that by default lynx would allow shell escapes, which I really didn't
want users doing :)

I don't know how commands will be sent to lynx with bbx, but it's
something to consider to make sure it's not possible to do this.

> that (smaller and better) codebase is something that could be
> maintained also over a longer period without issue, so guess I will
> release it as a replacement for bbs. The look and feel will always be
> basic compared to more complex forum software, but so be it (at
> least the design is reflecting this as well now :-) ).

It's a very unique design (in 2020). Kind of a fun interface.

Lynx

<code.614.402fu3@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=686&group=rocksolid.programming#686

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Lynx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:05:14 -0800
logging-data="30576"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:05 UTC

>>9c7631636504114e50
>I added lynx as a door a few years ago in synchronet and it worked great,

what does that mean: "as a door" ?
>that by default lynx would allow shell escapes,

I checked for that, was not the case for me (unless I checked the wrong things). At least I was not able to inject any commands that way (over the webui).
Can you give an example of a successful attack string ?

For the design: I have to say that the hard work in this was done by somebody else (for free, as in free beer). I just adapted some sources to my needs. And yes, I am quite pleased with the outcome myself. I can also see that it is already used, although half the functionality is missing yet. :-)

--
Posted on def2

shell

<code.615.3vvyxv@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=687&group=rocksolid.programming#687

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: shell
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:26:05 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:26 UTC

>>9c7631636504114e50
thanks for highlighting this, a quick search bŕought me to this page:
http://www.math.utah.edu/lab/man/lynx.html
and so I added
-restrictions=shell,suspend,editor,exec,exec-frozen
to the call of Lynx.
I have tried to break into my box with this way before, and did not succeed. If you know of any possible exploits here, it would be highly appreciated.

--
Posted on def2

Re: shell

<20201216223532.459c9287@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=688&group=rocksolid.programming#688

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: shell
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 22:35:32 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 05:35 UTC

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:26:05 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>9c7631636504114e50
> thanks for highlighting this, a quick search bŕought me to this page:
> http://www.math.utah.edu/lab/man/lynx.html
> and so I added
> -restrictions=shell,suspend,editor,exec,exec-frozen
> to the call of Lynx.

Ah, you already found it, nice!

Re: Lynx

<20201216223441.683577b1@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=689&group=rocksolid.programming#689

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Lynx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 22:34:41 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 05:34 UTC

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:05:14 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>9c7631636504114e50
> >I added lynx as a door a few years ago in synchronet and it worked
> >great,
>
> what does that mean: "as a door" ?

A door is like a portal to an external program for a bbs. Mostly used
for games (commonly called 'door games'). I set up Synchronet to have a
menu option to browse the web, and it then provided you a lynx
interface (by actually running lynx and letting you use it).

> >that by default lynx would allow shell escapes,
>
> I checked for that, was not the case for me (unless I checked the
> wrong things). At least I was not able to inject any commands that
> way (over the webui). Can you give an example of a successful attack
> string ?

It's not really an attack string, but when I had it running in
Synchronet, a user could (no one ever did), just use the built in
command in lynx to jump to a shell prompt. I didn't want that, so I
specifically disabled that feature in the command string to run lynx.

I'm guessing that a bbx user can't really issue a lynx command
directly, but just wanted to mention that I believe lynx supports such.

Retro Guy

Lynx not safe ?

<code.618.2ee5ig@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=690&group=rocksolid.programming#690

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Lynx not safe ?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 01:49:52 -0800
logging-data="31186"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 09:49 UTC

https://insecure.org/sploits/lynx.download.html
Report is from 1997, maybe this is fixed by now ? Or maybe not...I will play a little with that.

--
Posted on def2

that's for interactive mode

<code.619.258zsz@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=691&group=rocksolid.programming#691

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: that's for interactive mode
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 05:05:23 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:05 UTC

>>cef79e59c453b34000
I understand that you describe the interactive mode of Lynx, so this does not concern my setup (I use predefined calls where the hostname and everything is fixed, and the user input is used as a group or message. My concern here was that separate commands could be injected this way, but I have not managed to do this). Still good to know, thanks.

A little research shows that Lynx has a pretty good track record:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list.php?vendor_id=5836&product_id=9869&version_id=0&page=1&hasexp=0&opdos=0&opec=0&opov=0&opcsrf=0&opgpriv=0&opsqli=0&opxss=0&opdirt=0&opmemc=0&ophttprs=0&opbyp=0&opfileinc=0&opginf=0&cvssscoremin=0&cvssscoremax=0&year=0&cweid=0&order=1&trc=5&sha=3f93be2ac58707975914133ab453aee7b2962f26

Of course somebody could probably still worm their way in, we will see :-)

--
Posted on def2

None

<code.620.3g1e78@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=692&group=rocksolid.programming#692

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: None
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:14:05 -0800
logging-data="26953"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:14 UTC

>>a55e5ab21cc1bd63aa
Added some navigation elements. When in message view mode, you can now do:

TAB+ENTER --> previous article in newsgroup
2xTAB+ENTER --> next article in newsgroup
3xTAB+ENTER --> reply to message
4xTAB+ENTER --> go to newsgroup overview

The reply is not working yet (as posting is not working yet), and the whole thing needs a little more attention.
But I like the concept.

--
Posted on def2

Navigation works

<code.621.2kr11u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=693&group=rocksolid.programming#693

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Navigation works
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 16:52:05 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 18 Dec 2020 00:52 UTC

>>fff88d7f44d4364155
The whole site can be navigated with TAB + Enter now.
From the landingpage:
1x TAB goes to the first group from the top,
2x TAB to the second group and so on.
From a groupview:
1x TAB goes to earliest article on the page
2x TAB goes to the latest article on the page
From the articleview:
1xTAB --> previous article in newsgroup
2xTAB --> next article in newsgroup
3xTAB --> go to first reference of article (thread upstream, if existing)
4x TAB --> reply to message
5x TAB --> go back to groupview

I am actually faster with this navigation than with my mousepad.

Open for feedback here...

--
Posted on def2

Progress

<code.622.31i0jb@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=694&group=rocksolid.programming#694

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Progress
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:44:53 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 18 Dec 2020 21:44 UTC
Attachments: hello_world.txt (text/plain)

>>a55e5ab21cc1bd63aa

To do:
-registration
-posting

Done
-add and debug navigation elements
-images: decoding, display or link
-attachments: decoding, link
-caching of groups and messages

As a test a little text file attached.

Attachments: hello_world.txt (text/plain)
Re: Progress

<20201218175943.2be84bed@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=695&group=rocksolid.programming#695

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Progress
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:59:43 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 19 Dec 2020 00:59 UTC

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:44:53 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>a55e5ab21cc1bd63aa
>
> To do:
> -registration
> -posting
>
> Done
> -add and debug navigation elements
> -images: decoding, display or link
> -attachments: decoding, link
> -caching of groups and messages
>
> As a test a little text file attached.

I should have read this first :) I posted on the site and it's very
easy to work with. It looks great, I really like it :)

Looking forward to interacting with it further.

Post and registration, and new ideas

<code.624.14km3i@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=696&group=rocksolid.programming#696

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Post and registration, and new ideas
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:26:11 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 19 Dec 2020 20:26 UTC
Attachments: sqlite.jpeg (image/jpeg)

>>a863426172a4dfc911
yeah, registration and post have been last on the list, I have the code laying around, so it is just to implement the functions (I will even take the accounts from bbs over). but first i wanted it to be usable for reading, and at least for me it is now (and seems to you as well, thanks for the testing and feedback). In fact, I like the navigation by keyboard a lot now.

When I was playing with the code for the attachments, I had one more idea:
following the concept from here:
http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/soc/res/96.html
where the user always attaches a signed version of the message as an asc file, it would be rather simple to validate the signature server side and show some kind of icon to the user (validated or not validated).
Most of the code to do that I have already written for boxs...and I guess in php it would not be too hard either (thinking about fudforum, rslight and vichan here).
If we would roll that out on all nodes, we would have indeed an identity management fully independent from platform or code, just like described in the original post (of course, each node could still handle local accounts in any way they want).
Would be neat, I think. What do you think, Retro ?

cheers

trw

Attachments: sqlite.jpeg
Registration and posts work

<b70361c396d7c11eaff18557c8bfb086@def4>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=697&group=rocksolid.programming#697

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Registration and posts work
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 01:17:05+0000
 by: trw - Sun, 20 Dec 2020 01:17 UTC

Registration works.
All the accounts made on def4 are valid as well, and will stay valid.
Posting works, not sure about attachments yet.

--
Posted on def4

Close to switching

<17810c2cbe15b2d0113a4009a423edef@def4>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=698&group=rocksolid.programming#698

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Close to switching
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 01:31:03+0000
 by: trw - Sun, 20 Dec 2020 01:31 UTC

A little cleaning up here and there, then I will switch def4 to bbx.

--
Posted on def4

Re: Post and registration, and new ideas

<20201220032822.52968d0a@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=700&group=rocksolid.programming#700

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: Post and registration, and new ideas
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 03:28:22 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 20 Dec 2020 10:28 UTC

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:26:11 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> When I was playing with the code for the attachments, I had one more
> idea: following the concept from here:
> http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/soc/res/96.html
> where the user always attaches a signed version of the message as an
> asc file, it would be rather simple to validate the signature server
> side and show some kind of icon to the user (validated or not
> validated). Most of the code to do that I have already written for
> boxs...and I guess in php it would not be too hard either (thinking
> about fudforum, rslight and vichan here). If we would roll that out
> on all nodes, we would have indeed an identity management fully
> independent from platform or code, just like described in the
> original post (of course, each node could still handle local accounts
> in any way they want). Would be neat, I think. What do you think,
> Retro ?

I like the idea. We may have discussed similar before, or maybe that
was some conversation that took place inside my head, lol.

A currently undocumented 'feature' of rslight is to display when a post
was made from the site you're viewing on. The point was to keep people
from posting from elsewhere and impersonating a user on the site. Right
now, it simply displays the poster's username in italics, so if you see
that on my sites, it means it was really posted here. This is done with
a hash based on the message itself, and an internal site key.

It wouldn't be hard to make it specific to a user and not just the
site. rslight users already have a 'key' that can be used, or we can
use another method. If we can come up with a standardized method for
nodes, I'm all for it.

Retro Guy