From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: how to break a site
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 03:36:37 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 31 Mar 2021 03:36 UTC

oops, don't upgrade a site with an outdated zip file by mistake (or on purpose), it makes a mess!

Anyway, I did that on one of my rslight sites today and it took me an hour to fix it, lol. The import script saved the day allowing me to repair the article databases just fine, it just took me a while to realize what I did wrong.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: how to break a site

<snkjf0$npf$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=170&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#170

From: noo...@nobody.non (nobody)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: how to break a site
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:44:02 -0600
 by: nobody - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 05:44 UTC

On 3/30/21 10:36 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
> oops, don't upgrade a site with an outdated zip file by mistake (or on
> purpose), it makes a mess!
>
> Anyway, I did that on one of my rslight sites today and it took me an
> hour to fix it, lol. The import script saved the day allowing me to
> repair the article databases just fine, it just took me a while to
> realize what I did wrong.
>
> Retro Guy

Been there. Done that. Got the messy T-shirt.

I have been undergoing a long process of scriptomatically engineering
everything to prevent myself from doing these kinds of mishaps. It
works, but it's also a bit more time consuming.

I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
machinery and programs.

Knock on wood.

Re: how to break a site

<9a3d845520233d8214d1b0bb7bc03269@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=171&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#171

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:33:30 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:33 UTC

nobody wrote:

> I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
> taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
> problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
> machinery and programs.

Yes, and you need to anticipate things which you can't do 100%. It's a lot of work.

Your project sounds interesting, let us know when you have something we can try out, if you want ppl trying it out of course.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: how to break a site

<snmb4r$g3h$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=172&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#172

From: noo...@nobody.non (nobody)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:34:22 -0600
 by: nobody - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:34 UTC

On 11/24/21 1:33 AM, Anonymous wrote:
> nobody wrote:
>
>> I am building a server with a big basket of darknet services. It is
>> taking a long time because the scripting infrastructure to recover from
>> problems and user errors is ten times the work of configuring the
>> machinery and programs.
>
> Yes, and you need to anticipate things which you can't do 100%. It's a
> lot of work.
>
> Your project sounds interesting, let us know when you have something we
> can try out, if you want ppl trying it out of course.

Yes, sir. You venerable usenetizens will be the first to know.