From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: retroBBS upgrade 01 Apr 2020
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 08:43:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 1 Apr 2020 08:43 UTC

retroBBS will be down for a bit as I upgrade rslight to the latest version.

If I have any problems, I'll restore backup.

You can find the rocksolid groups also at news.novabbs.com, rslight.i2p, def3.i2p and def4.i2p as always.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: retroBBS upgrade 01 Apr 2020

<ae31884981a3daedfed9f3f775cc5523$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#71

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-en5-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: retroBBS upgrade 01 Apr 2020
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 03:17:51 +0000
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 4 Apr 2020 03:17 UTC

To: Retro Guy
The upgrades to retrobbs and rslight are working fine. The code is identical between them (one uses built in nntp, other uses nntp for two of four sections). It's also identical code on my freebsd server.

Configuration is cleaned up more, and settings that mostly don't need to be changed are moved to files you shouldn't really need to mess with.

I'm working on a package to get online later today. The install script will not be complete, if there even is one. Instructions will be included and also posted in this group.

It's not a complicated install, but does require working at the command line level in Linux or FreeBSD to get it all set up. If you want to run the nntp server on a privileged port, you need to run cron.php as root (it will drop to webserver user after opening the port).

Also, note to trw: This version supports reading the spool files directly (they are the same as an INN spool), and dropping posts (text file) into a directory and they will be propagated.

If using the built in nntp server, you can also read/post using a news reader for your groups if you wish. This has been tested with Thunderbird, Pan and Knode. I haven't tried other readers yet.

I hope to have this available in the next few hours or so.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com