Loneliness is a terrible price to pay for independence.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Taliban Splits Emerge Over Religion, Power and Girls’ Schools

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Taliban Splits Emerge Over Religion, Power and Gstoney
`- Re: Taliban Splits Emerge Over Religion, Power and Gltlee1

1
Re: Taliban Splits Emerge Over Religion, Power and Girls’ Schools

<fb5bc93a-caa7-4dc3-b053-2dd492e10ddan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9926&group=soc.culture.china#9926

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 09:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Taliban_Splits_Emerge_Over_Religion,_Power_and_G
irls’_Schools
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:57 UTC

On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 6:33:42 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
> [...]
>
> “The Haqqanis made more sacrifices. We gave more suicide bombers,” said a former Haqqani commander who recently left the Taliban. “But the Kandaharis get all the jobs.”
>
> Economic pressure
> -----------------
> While the leadership squabbles, many ordinary Taliban fighters are becoming increasingly disenchanted.
>
> Fighters who dedicated years, even decades of their life to the armed struggle say they expected to be rewarded for their sacrifices with jobs and money. Instead, they say they don’t even have enough money to buy food.
>
> “I have given martyrs from my family, but I still have no salary,” said Qari Abdullah, a 40-year-old former Taliban commander who recently left the movement. “I have to feed 10 people. When we cook something, everyone fights over the food.”
>
> Since the Taliban takeover, Afghanistan’s economy has nosedived, with 95% of the population not eating sufficiently according to the U.N. Frozen central-bank assets, international sanctions and a sharp drop in foreign assistance are contributing to the economic crisis.
>
> The U.S., other Western countries and international organizations including the United Nations and the World Bank have said that the continued ban on girls’ education is an obstacle to unlocking more international assistance for Afghanistan.
>
> The most formidable armed opposition group in Afghanistan is the local branch of Islamic State, which has long recruited members from disenchanted Taliban. Since the Taliban takeover it launched a spate of deadly attacks, mostly targeting Shiites.
>
> There is also the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, an anti-Taliban group established after the fall of the Republic that includes some of its former leaders.
>
> As it strives to build a new Afghan state under immense economic pressure, the Taliban leadership has sought to keep a lid on the differences. It has tried to stifle criticism by threatening its subordinates with lengthy prison sentences if they speak to the media.
>
> “If we give room for religious debate, it may lead to other problems, such as strengthening terrorist groups,” said Sharif, the Taliban messenger.
>
> The revived and much-feared religious police recently issued a raft of new social restrictions that many Afghans, including many Taliban members, oppose. Among them: Women must be accompanied by male relatives when traveling outside their hometowns; all male government workers must grow out their beards; and men and women can’t go to amusement parks on the same day.
>
> Abdullah Omari, a 30-year-old regional director of the religious police, said that it is the Taliban’s duty to return Afghans to the righteous path they strayed from under foreign influence. “This cannot be a surprise to them,” said Mr. Omari. “They knew that when the Taliban came, there would be new rules.”

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Taliban Splits Emerge Over Religion, Power and Girls’ Schools

<f5290a6b-0421-496a-b478-3d4b3ee3b217n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9930&group=soc.culture.china#9930

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china