When eating an elephant take one bite at a time. -- Gen. C. Abrams

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens

SubjectAuthor
* Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizensalien
`- Re: Hacker claims they stole police data on a billionalien

1
Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens

<NFQwK.177481$qSa7.123956@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9902&group=soc.culture.china#9902

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens
From: ali...@invalid.address (alien)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:15:09 GMT
 by: alien - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 06:15 UTC

Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens

A sample of the data included crime reports going back to 1995.

A hacker (or group of hackers) claims to have stolen data on a billion
Chinese citizens from a Shanghai police database. According to Bloomberg,
the hacker is attempting to sell 23 terabytes of data for 10 bitcoin, which
is worth just over $198,000 at the time of writing.

The data includes names, addresses, birthplaces, national IDs and phone
numbers. The Wall Street Journal reports that the hacker provided a sample
of the data, which included crime reports dating as far back as 1995.
Reporters confirmed the legitimacy of at least some of the data by calling
people whose numbers were listed.

It's not yet clear how the hacker infiltrated the police database, though
there have been suggestions that they gained access via an Alibaba cloud
computing company called Aliyun, which was said to host the database.
Alibaba said it's investigating the matter.

The true scope of the leak is unknown. However, cybersecurity experts have
dubbed it the biggest cybersecurity breach in China's history.

-----end copy paste----

How did nobody notice there was massive traffic on their network.
Especially if it is a sensitive database.
--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

Re: Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens

<OIQwK.137725$lHb6.103824@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9903&group=soc.culture.china#9903

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion
Chinese citizens
From: ali...@invalid.address (alien)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:18:22 GMT
 by: alien - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 06:18 UTC

alien <alien@invalid.address> wrote:
> Hacker claims they stole police data on a billion Chinese citizens
>
> A sample of the data included crime reports going back to 1995.
>
> A hacker (or group of hackers) claims to have stolen data on a billion
> Chinese citizens from a Shanghai police database. According to Bloomberg,
> the hacker is attempting to sell 23 terabytes of data for 10 bitcoin, which
> is worth just over $198,000 at the time of writing.
>
> The data includes names, addresses, birthplaces, national IDs and phone
> numbers. The Wall Street Journal reports that the hacker provided a sample
> of the data, which included crime reports dating as far back as 1995.
> Reporters confirmed the legitimacy of at least some of the data by calling
> people whose numbers were listed.
>
> It's not yet clear how the hacker infiltrated the police database, though
> there have been suggestions that they gained access via an Alibaba cloud
> computing company called Aliyun, which was said to host the database.
> Alibaba said it's investigating the matter.
>
> The true scope of the leak is unknown. However, cybersecurity experts have
> dubbed it the biggest cybersecurity breach in China's history.
>
> -----end copy paste----
>
> How did nobody notice there was massive traffic on their network.
> Especially if it is a sensitive database.

Forgot to add the news link
<https://www.engadget.com/china-hack-data-billion-citizens-police-173052297.html>